Magnolia Record Club

I’m actually not buying anything I haven’t already because of coronavirus. People are already losing their jobs. Mine should be safe and my wife’s should be as well but you never know. I’m fairly certain my daughter will be okay. Fortunately my parents are retired, but I worry about having to help them should they get sick.
I wanted to jump on this too but also stopping purchasing stuff for a bit...I have my own business and it is absolutely dead right now sadly. Very few people in my industry are getting new work right now it seems...

I wanted to jump on this too but also stopping purchasing stuff for a bit...I have my own business and it is absolutely dead right now sadly. Very few people in my industry are getting new work right now it seems...
We all work in healthcare, but My department is honestly a luxury service for my entity. It’s service is in its infancy I’m the rest of my orginization. My wife works for a firm that does business all over the world and again is a luxury for her clients. My daughter’s work is actually safest because while it’s a new company, it’s tech based and vital for regulatory needs. Both my wife and daughter are currently working from home. I on the other hand am in one of the most prestigious health facilities in the world and my team’s work puts us in direct care of patients.

We all work in healthcare, but My department is honestly a luxury service for my entity. It’s service is in its infancy I’m the rest of my orginization. My wife works for a firm that does business all over the world and again is a luxury for her clients. My daughter’s work is actually safest because while it’s a new company, it’s tech based and vital for regulatory needs. Both my wife and daughter are currently working from home. I on the other hand am in one of the most prestigious health facilities in the world and my team’s work puts us in direct care of patients.
Stay safe out there bud.

Tasty:
View attachment 36955
aaa Bernie pressed at RTI. Looking forward to this and a propped knee and Bourbon.
Just about to throw mine on the table too!! All my girls are home, and it’s a serious walk down memory lane for them, we wore this CD out back in the day....having a Redemption High Rye whiskey with mine. Cheers buddy!🍻

View attachment 37042

This would be cool if they did stuff like autographs and stuff.
I love New West Records for that reason. Nearly all their new releases are autographed. Their last group included American Aquarium, Caroline Rose, Pokey LeFarge, Lily Hiatt, Steve Earle, Jamie Wyatt, and Sammy Brue. I see they have some signed J.D. McPherson there now as well. I seem to be drawn to autographed vinyl like a moth to a light, so I'm always on the look out for signed items.

1585689746495.png

One of my favorite albums of 2019

View attachment 38769

One of my favorite albums of 2019

My local station loves Dermot. Don't think I've listened to the album yet. Will have to check it out.

My local station loves Dermot. Don't think I've listened to the album yet. Will have to check it out.

He is very good. My younger sister loves him and she got me into his music. Saw him at the Ryman and him and his band were amazing.
This is my favorite of his which remarkably isn't on his newest album.

1585742643644.png

APRIL 2020
Reunions - Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit
SHIPPING TO ARRIVE MAY 15TH

April 2020’s Record of the Month is Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit’s new album Reunions.

On ‘Reunions,’ Isbell teams up once again with producer Dave Cobb, whom he worked with on his 2013 album ‘Southeastern.’ The legendary David Crosby and Jay Buchanan from Grammy-nominated band Rival Sons also provide background vocals throughout the record.

Join the club by 4/30 and get the exclusive green vinyl, only available through the club!

THIS MONTH'S DISCOVERY: BRIAN DUNNE

1585742715480.png

“The songs on this album don’t come with a lot of resolution,” says Brian Dunne. “As a writer, your instinct can be to try and wrap things up in neat little bows and promise everybody that everything’s going to be alright, but that just didn’t feel real to me.”
Instead, Dunne’s poignant new album, ‘Selling Things,’ faces down doubt and disappointment head on, learning to make peace with uncertainty and find catharsis in acceptance. Recorded in Los Angeles with producer/mixer/engineer Andrew Sarlo (Big Thief, Caroline Rose), the collection is a dark and dreamy meditation on the nature of fulfillment, one that balances the personal and political as it contemplates an impending apocalypse that feels more literal and less metaphorical with each passing day. Dunne writes with a cinematic eye for detail here, offering up fully fleshed out character studies and immersive vignettes that capture the kind of small, seemingly inconsequential moments that only later reveal their profound and lasting impacts. It’s an approach that calls to mind everything from Jackson Browne and Tom Waits to Jonathan Richman and Chrissie Hynde, and the result is a blend of black humor and probing introspection that sounds at once vintage and modern, familiar and foreign, hopeful and fatalistic.
“When I was growing up, my dad had all these cassette tapes that we’d listen to in the car,” says Dunne. “We never had air conditioning, though, so the tapes would start to melt and get this creepy, warbly sound, which I thought about a lot when I was recording this album. I wanted to make something that felt like those cassettes, something that was equal parts exciting and mysterious and a little bit scary, because that’s what it feels like to be alive right now.”

THIS MONTH'S DISCOVERY: BRIAN DUNNE

View attachment 38849

“The songs on this album don’t come with a lot of resolution,” says Brian Dunne. “As a writer, your instinct can be to try and wrap things up in neat little bows and promise everybody that everything’s going to be alright, but that just didn’t feel real to me.”
Instead, Dunne’s poignant new album, ‘Selling Things,’ faces down doubt and disappointment head on, learning to make peace with uncertainty and find catharsis in acceptance. Recorded in Los Angeles with producer/mixer/engineer Andrew Sarlo (Big Thief, Caroline Rose), the collection is a dark and dreamy meditation on the nature of fulfillment, one that balances the personal and political as it contemplates an impending apocalypse that feels more literal and less metaphorical with each passing day. Dunne writes with a cinematic eye for detail here, offering up fully fleshed out character studies and immersive vignettes that capture the kind of small, seemingly inconsequential moments that only later reveal their profound and lasting impacts. It’s an approach that calls to mind everything from Jackson Browne and Tom Waits to Jonathan Richman and Chrissie Hynde, and the result is a blend of black humor and probing introspection that sounds at once vintage and modern, familiar and foreign, hopeful and fatalistic.
“When I was growing up, my dad had all these cassette tapes that we’d listen to in the car,” says Dunne. “We never had air conditioning, though, so the tapes would start to melt and get this creepy, warbly sound, which I thought about a lot when I was recording this album. I wanted to make something that felt like those cassettes, something that was equal parts exciting and mysterious and a little bit scary, because that’s what it feels like to be alive right now.”

Never heard of this dude but liking what I am hearing.

Back