Magnolia Record Club

Yeah they get shit done. I wonder how bad this pandemic is going to back up the pressing plants? I imagine Isbell has already been pressed, but wonder if there will be lots of delays moving forward? I can't help but think that will be the case.
Colemine said that Gotta Groove was not able to press right now delaying their schedule for the rest of the year.

1586555242129.png

It might just be me. There is for sure a difference in the way they approach song writing and Baxter is certainly not playing the whole cosmic angle, but there is a quality in Soho/Thunder Demos that reminds me a lot of Daniel Norgren

Last edited:
Did anyone receive a flattish copy of Rayland? Mine is massively warped. I have a replacement coming, but I don’t think I have ever gotten a decent copy of anything pressed by DualTone artists.

Did anyone receive a flattish copy of Rayland? Mine is massively warped. I have a replacement coming, but I don’t think I have ever gotten a decent copy of anything pressed by DualTone artists.
Mine has a slight warp but the michell fixes it.

Edit: it’s also an ATO not a dualtone. While I wouldn’t rank Dualtone as an audiophile label, I would rank them above ATO in pressing quality as a general rule.

I really really like that Futurebirds record. And the Baxter is well worth it if only for the MMJ cover, but thankfully the rest of it is good too.
Also, I threw Mt. Joy on for the first time in a long time... I’m not sure I’ve ever listened to it on the Elacs before but the Elac/Grado Blue3 is a magical combination for this kind of music.

This is the first I've heard of Brian Dunne and this album could be in my top 5 this year, so far. It really is right in my wheelhouse. That said, added it to next month's box after listening to about 4 songs.

Just received the Rayland Baxter record. It sounds beautiful. Also, I just realized I’ve had one of his songs on my Spotify Liked Playlist for awhile. It starts “hey baby. Maaaybe I was born sick....” I looked at the cover and it just clicked. That mustache probably.

I kinda think I like the demos side better, too. Something kind of haunting in the sound. Very happy.

Back