Let's See Your Collection! Any Size!

People who use pool noodle backs.... It seems when records get pushed back in they're just pushing the noodle with it. Any thoughts?
I had a piece of hardboard cut to fit the back and attached it with brads. All the pool noodles do is cushion and keep from going back too far. You still need some kind of stop.

2BA81F6F-7FA0-4B8B-8ED9-941F63F88966.jpeg

4724D90B-54CD-49A4-AE30-6C75A6B041AA.jpeg

E5AD6347-EA62-49D5-AECD-3C1B995634CD.jpeg

7DFEED34-0F6A-41AD-8775-790DFAFBA1C7.jpeg

A0A0B301-BF77-4588-A29D-8645536D5884.jpeg

Another IKEA backstop option.

1st pic: 1x2 boards (two per cube) and 1/16” thick CRL commercial foam double sided glazing tape. 1x2s actual size 3/4” x 1 1/2”

2nd pic: First 1x2 backstop is taped down back of shelf.

3rd pic: Second 1x2 is not taped down. It sits on edge and can be removed for box sets or to recess records more.

4th pic: Rear of empty shelf with both 1x2s installed. Back one taped. Front board on edge just sits there.

5th pic: Records pushed back with both boards used.

Question: how do people here organize their records?

I’ve been dividing by genre (more or less) and then alphabetically within the genre, but this gets tricky with artists who have spanned several decades or switched genres.

Currently my small/medium collection (~900 records) is divided into the following genres: jazz, classical, opera, blues, country, classic rock, modern rock & alternative. I’ve put certain movie soundtracks and scores into the closest matching genres. It seemed logical at first, but then you have artists like Paul Simon, Paul McCartney, Bruce Springsteen, etc., that have decades stretching from the “classic rock”’era to current. Would it make more sense to just put all rock into one category? If I do, where do other popular, non-rock albums go (NIN, Nirvana, Metallica, 2Pac) go? They’d be pretty small sub-sections as I don’t have tons, so maybe just alphabetical in the rock/pop section?

More discussion here

Question: how do people here organize their records?

I’ve been dividing by genre (more or less) and then alphabetically within the genre, but this gets tricky with artists who have spanned several decades or switched genres.

Currently my small/medium collection (~900 records) is divided into the following genres: jazz, classical, opera, blues, country, classic rock, modern rock & alternative. I’ve put certain movie soundtracks and scores into the closest matching genres. It seemed logical at first, but then you have artists like Paul Simon, Paul McCartney, Bruce Springsteen, etc., that have decades stretching from the “classic rock”’era to current. Would it make more sense to just put all rock into one category? If I do, where do other popular, non-rock albums go (NIN, Nirvana, Metallica, 2Pac) go? They’d be pretty small sub-sections as I don’t have tons, so maybe just alphabetical in the rock/pop section?
Is 900 considered small/medium collection? I’m at 650 and my wife would consider it to be huge😂😂😂

I put all rock a-z, then jazz, then world/blues, then soul, rap, funk a-z

More discussion here

Thanks Kris, I moved my post.

Is 900 considered small/medium collection? I’m at 650 and my wife would consider it to be huge😂😂😂

I put all rock a-z, then jazz, then world/blues, then soul, rap, funk a-z

Thanks.

And compared to many in this thread, I feel my collection is modest. Some people here blow my mind (in a good way) with their collections.

Last edited:
Back