Let's See What Makes Your Vinyl Spin!

That was worth a chuckle! I'm not convinced yet that I need any mat upgrade. Just got the KAB damper to install today - one upgrade at a time to see how things shake out. The PLX-1000 rubber mat is a static generator in the winter, which does give me pause.

I'd heard good things about the Herbie's on the VPI Traveler (since the OEM mat is junk), but my el-cheapo Sleeve City "carbon fiber" mat on there does a good job controlling static, which I really like about it.
Again, this is why we need to take all of this stuff with a grain of salt. Meaning, I got the Archo first, then swapped out the feet and added the damper last. Not to mention, our chains, cart and so on are a bit different.

So, sharing opinions on things is great and has a tendency to weed out the absolutely atrocious more than anything which is most important in my opinion, after that, there is so much personal preference and so on to ever see one thing as the absolute solution. To your point of giving each "upgrade" time, spot on, doing too many things at one time will just frustrate you in the end ;)

Last edited:
KAB damper installed! The included pamphlet description says...

"Fluid damping all but eliminates shock induced resonance. Fluid damping will extend bass response, make tracking serious warps child's play and will put an end to lead in groove hopping on cue down."

I just started listening and cannot confirm all those claims yet, but the last claim on "groove hopping on cue down" is spot on. I was skeptical, as the PLX-1000 almost always "groove hops" on cue down with my Ortofon 2M Blue. The KAB dampener did put an end to it. Gotta love fluid dynamics!

I do wonder how much of what I'm hearing is due to a change of effective tonearm mass versus fluid damping. Adding the damping paddle, with my relatively heavy headshell, has definitely changed the effective mass -- I did have to reset VTF after putting the paddle on. Unfortunately I did not have the presence of mind to run the turntable with the oil well dry as a comparison before filling it. It's concievable that even with the higher effective mass, the damping fluid still mitigates the low resonant frequency issues.

More to play with I imagine! Trying not to slide down the tweakers' rabbit hole! ;)

Different amounts of damping fluid can have major effects on what you hear, logically enough. Too much and you damp the sound as your dad noticed. I had the ETII on a VPI HW19 mk4 before the turn of the century and it could sound very light and airy or like oatmeal depending on fluid level. The arm itself was very cool and super adjustable but way too fiddly for me after a while. Moved to a VPI Aries with the unipivot arm which was beyond fiddly too. Same as the ET, too much fluid would turn things to mush. Happy to have the Rega set it and forget it arm now. It sounds better than either of the previous arms.

Added some more lighting in the way of lamps w Govee LED bulbs in them. Two more at seating position. Fun messing around.

Side note, forgot how amazing this Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio album is!!View attachment 129832
@Slimwhit33 Slim, they have a new lp out now as well, Cold As Weiss. Mine is coming tomorrow. Stream sounds great. Indie blue swirl seems sold out. My local has two if you want one. Amz has black, and Seasick white.

That was worth a chuckle! I'm not convinced yet that I need any mat upgrade. Just got the KAB damper to install today - one upgrade at a time to see how things shake out. The PLX-1000 rubber mat is a static generator in the winter, which does give me pause.

I'd heard good things about the Herbie's on the VPI Traveler (since the OEM mat is junk), but my el-cheapo Sleeve City "carbon fiber" mat on there does a good job controlling static, which I really like about it.
Theoretically, the Funk Firm mat should be superior to the Herbies. The Herbie’s closed cell foam acts like a spring, exactly what you don’t want.

That said, it’s theory. If it works, it works.

Another reason I like the Ultradeck. The best mat is no mat.

@Slimwhit33 Slim, they have a new lp out now as well, Cold As Weiss. Mine is coming tomorrow. Stream sounds great. Indie blue swirl seems sold out. My local has two if you want one. Amz has black, and Seasick white.
Excited, I head over to my indie store today to buy "Cold as Weiss" after a YouTube preview. They have several copies! Bought it home anticipating a blue swirl - got a black disc. 😕

Well, at least I like the music!

Excited, I head over to my indie store today to buy "Cold as Weiss" after a YouTube preview. They have several copies! Bought it home anticipating a blue swirl - got a black disc. 😕

Well, at least I like the music!
yah, this is a hard one to identify, you want to look for Indie limited pressing I believe

back in stock, fyi

Back