Let's See What Makes Your Vinyl Spin!

I got my PLX1000 In January 2020 and it does not have the “DJ” silk screen.
Interesting. Not pictured on the site either. I had somewhat expected it however as I’d read it in a couple forums after I ordered.

Still just as fun to use as I remember. The only thing I wish they had changed was hinging the dustcover.

Interesting. Not pictured on the site either. I had somewhat expected it however as I’d read it in a couple forums after I ordered.

Still just as fun to use as I remember. The only thing I wish they had changed was hinging the dustcover.
2019. no DJ................and agreed on the hinges, although I still don't think it's a deal breaker.
FF_Achromat.jpg

Ha! It’s worth the investment IMO. No issues with it exposed my last time around. I didn’t change the antiskate, kept it at same value as my VTF for each cart.

Now I gotta join the bandwagon! @AnthonyI told me about his damper, but I had been dragging my feet. Any issues with keeping the fluid exposed? Also, how high do you set the anti-skate when using it?

Ha! It’s worth the investment IMO. No issues with it exposed my last time around. I didn’t change the antiskate, kept it at same value as my VTF for each cart.
What he said ;)

KAB cited this Audiogon user review in their website. I have always thought of the tonearm as the weakest link for the PLX-1000; it seems the damper goes some ways toward ameliorating this, at least if the advantages are similar to those in the SL1200.

KAB cited this Audiogon user review in their website. I have always thought of the tonearm as the weakest link for the PLX-1000; it seems the damper goes some ways toward ameliorating this, at least if the advantages are similar to those in the SL1200.

I think expectations are always part of the problem along with defining what someone might be stating when saying something "sounds" better. I read this before purchasing it, and I take all this with a grain of salt when the price tag isn't in the stratosphere.

I think this is a good definition of what to expect from the damper, noting that the rest of the chain will also play into it.
"I slowly started to realize that although the soundstage wasn't any 'bigger'-seeming, it was effectively deeper, because I could now 'focus my ears', so to speak, more precisely all the way to the backmost reaches and still maintain the sense of clarity and definition."

"In the big picture, I'd characterize the changes wought by the addition of the fluid damper as being on the order of about 10% or so (quite good), but in the particular areas upon which it has its greatest effects, I'd say they were more like 50%, which I think is excellent. No, I didn't get 'more' bass or dynamics, but I got less of what the presence of such information in the grooves can do to the more fragile parts of the sonic tapestry. In my estimation, what I'm hearing now with the damper is more faithful to the music mastered into the vinyl than what I was extracting previously, mostly through the reduction (if not the outright elimination) of some of the more pernicious effects engendered by the process of attempting to trace microscopic squiggles with a flexibly mounted needle attached to the end of a freely swinging arm."

Last edited:
I think expectations are always part of the problem along with defining what somewhat might be stating when saying something "sounds" better. I read this before purchasing it, and I take all this with a grain of salt when the price tag isn't in the stratosphere.

I think this is a good definition of what to expect from the damper, noting that the rest of the chain will also play into it.
"I slowly started to realize that although the soundstage wasn't any 'bigger'-seeming, it was effectively deeper, because I could now 'focus my ears', so to speak, more precisely all the way to the backmost reaches and still maintain the sense of clarity and definition."

"In the big picture, I'd characterize the changes wought by the addition of the fluid damper as being on the order of about 10% or so (quite good), but in the particular areas upon which it has its greatest effects, I'd say they were more like 50%, which I think is excellent. No, I didn't get 'more' bass or dynamics, but I got less of what the presence of such information in the grooves can do to the more fragile parts of the sonic tapestry. In my estimation, what I'm hearing now with the damper is more faithful to the music mastered into the vinyl than what I was extracting previously, mostly through the reduction (if not the outright elimination) of some of the more pernicious effects engendered by the process of attempting to trace microscopic squiggles with a flexibly mounted needle attached to the end of a freely swinging arm."
Robert Greene quote?

After getting my first AudioTechnica LP-60 from Urban Outfitters 4 years ago I’ve finally arrived at a long term keeper following my Fluance RT85! Just got this puppy up and running yesterday, I’m astonished by how fun it is to listen to!

Congratulations! And I really respect the way you've incrementally upgraded over the past four years. I wish I could be that restrained and calculated.

Now update your signature.

Back