Let's See What Makes Your Vinyl Spin!

I'm guessing Maggie's tend to fall on the technical side rather than the warm side when it comes to signature? I have a friend who's looking to upgrade and I think he might like the look and wide stage of these, but he skews real warm...

I'm guessing Maggie's tend to fall on the technical side rather than the warm side when it comes to signature? I have a friend who's looking to upgrade and I think he might like the look and wide stage of these, but he skews real warm...
I've heard/read the opposite, but it also depends on the amp and placement...........I'm kind of screwed on the placement as I have a corner I can't get around, but the lightweight design is nice because they can be pulled out when listening and pushed back when not in use.

We'll report back for sure :)

I've heard/read the opposite, but it also depends on the amp and placement...........I'm kind of screwed on the placement as I have a corner I can't get around, but the lightweight design is nice because they can be pulled out when listening and pushed back when not in use.

We'll report back for sure :)
What are you driving them with? Sorry if I missed where you mentioned that. Maggies love lots of power.

Last edited:
Actually yes this makes sense, I think what I read about them was regarding them skewing bright IF underpowered. Which you certainly aren't going to have a problem with, with that amp.

are those speakers?
C, electrostatic panel speakers have been around for a while from Quad, Martin Logan, and Magnepan to name a few. The Maggies are regarded as one of the best speaker bargains out there but are different than box designs as you can imagine. Some might say they are better for classical, jazz, and acoustic music than rock.

@AnthonyI
are you considering a sub to go with yours ?

Let us know if you think your PL has enoiugh power for them. I have seen some say they need a 100W and some 200W.

C, electrostatic panel speakers have been around for a while from Quad, Martin Logan, and Magnepan to name a few. The Maggies are regarded as one of the best speaker bargains out there but are different than box designs as you can imagine. Some might say they are better for classical, jazz, and acoustic music than rock.

@AnthonyI

Let us know if you think your PL has enoiugh power for them. I have seen some say they need a 100W and some 200W.
Its not watts, it's power/voltage that they need.

I've been listening the last hour or so and I'm impressed. Neutral, natural and a hell of a soundstage. That being said, they need power and space, I ended up 3' from the wall before I hit the sweet spot (good thing they're light and movable), no toe in, just straight forward and leaning forward, not up.

It's crazy the sound that comes out of these and the bass is tight and accurate, plenty low for my taste. Leading to your question, I'm going to give these some time to simmer before thinking of adding a sub, if the current bass continues to refine itself, I don't think I'll be adding subs.

Last edited:

I've been listening the last hour or so and I'm impressed. Neutral, natural and a hell of a soundstage. That being said, they need power and space, I ended up 3' from the wall before I hit the sweet spot (good thing they're light and movable), no toe in, just straight forward and leaning forward, not up.

It's crazy the sound that comes out of these and the bass is tight and accurate, plenty low for my taste. Leading to your question, I'm going to give these some time to simmer before thinking of adding a sub, if the current bass continues to refine itself, I don't think I'll be adding subs.
Current.

I have heard the .7 & 1.7's with SRS & Rel sub and that soundstage is addictive. Please keep us updaded on the ride.

Last edited:

@AnthonyI

I had a pair of 1.7is for a few years. The best match for them was the Prima Luna. Also, the lowest powered.

It was a fun evening with the Maggie's, a little shuffling around and we're where we need to be. If the LRSs were less mobile it would be a problem, but being able to move them in and out as needed is fantastic, I put a small marker on the carpet to take the guess work out of it. The LRSs are probably the most "real" sounding speakers I've heard without being overly analytical, they bring forward a nice balance of detail and warmth, and this all out of the box over a 5-6ish hour session. I'm really curious to see how much they open up over time, but I'd be hard pressed not to say these are an absolute bargain if you can power them and have the space.

This is where you have fun in the hobby, I found myself saying "one more record" a lot, it kind of reminded me of the car guy saying "If you don't look back at your car when you walk away, you bought the wrong car"............I've been looking back a lot and grabbing one more record.
20220303_072256.jpg

It was a fun evening with the Maggie's, a little shuffling around and we're where we need to be. If the LRSs were less mobile it would be a problem, but being able to move them in and out as needed is fantastic, I put a small marker on the carpet to take the guess work out of it. The LRSs are probably the most "real" sounding speakers I've heard without being overly analytical, they bring forward a nice balance of detail and warmth, and this all out of the box over a 5-6ish hour session. I'm really curious to see how much they open up over time, but I'd be hard pressed not to say these are an absolute bargain if you can power them and have the space.

This is where you have fun in the hobby, I found myself saying "one more record" a lot, it kind of reminded me of the car guy saying "If you don't look back at your car when you walk away, you bought the wrong car"............I've been looking back a lot and grabbing one more record.
View attachment 130918
I think if I had room for any pair of second speakers, it would be the LRSs. I've heard such good things about them.

I think if I had room for any pair of second speakers, it would be the LRSs. I've heard such good things about them.
While I know our hobby is full of finicky things, it's a shame these aren't more approachable because they're a give in at their price. But you do need both it's prerequisites to make them do what they do best.

I've never had a chance to listen to these, but have always been intrigued by the look. Something about them is just so cool to me.

From the photos, it actually looks like they don't take up that much more space then the Lintons, just taller. Is that accurate or is the photo tricking me? I always pictured them as being way bigger.

I've never had a chance to listen to these, but have always been intrigued by the look. Something about them is just so cool to me.

From the photos, it actually looks like they don't take up that much more space then the Lintons, just taller. Is that accurate or is the photo tricking me? I always pictured them as being way bigger.
Keep in mind that the LRSs are the smallest Maggie's, but, yes, the actual footprint is about the same. This pic might help a bit.
20220303_103134.jpg

Back