Let's See What Makes Your Vinyl Spin!

KAB damper installed! The included pamphlet description says...

"Fluid damping all but eliminates shock induced resonance. Fluid damping will extend bass response, make tracking serious warps child's play and will put an end to lead in groove hopping on cue down."

I just started listening and cannot confirm all those claims yet, but the last claim on "groove hopping on cue down" is spot on. I was skeptical, as the PLX-1000 almost always "groove hops" on cue down with my Ortofon 2M Blue. The KAB dampener did put an end to it. Gotta love fluid dynamics!
After a few more days of use, I'm hearing some advantages of the fluid damper. I did have to extract out a bit of the fluid as I put it all in on the first day; things did sound "overdamped" with the whole syringe. But now I perceive of less "edge" when using the 2M Blue. One criticism of the 2M Blue has been it's a bit too harsh at the top end and a bit cooler in its presentation than others. With the damper, I hear less upper-end harshness, smoother mid-range and better bass response but less crispness with percussion, especially cymbals.

All in all, it seems like a noticeable improvement that will forestall my intention to move to the Hana EH, at least for a while!

@Angsty
@JohnnyCashFan

Colemine stickers have the information on them if you look carefully. Color should be on there and if it's a limited pressing there should also be a dot (in the color of the colorway) with the amount pressed inside.
Thanks for the tip! I'll remember it in the future, but I don't think I'll get a second disc just to swap for a swankier color. But if I had not already opened it...

After a few more days of use, I'm hearing some advantages of the fluid damper. I did have to extract out a bit of the fluid as I put it all in on the first day; things did sound "overdamped" with the whole syringe. But now I perceive of less "edge" when using the 2M Blue. One criticism of the 2M Blue has been it's a bit too harsh at the top end and a bit cooler in its presentation than others. With the damper, I hear less upper-end harshness, smoother mid-range and better bass response but less crispness with percussion, especially cymbals.

All in all, it seems like a noticeable improvement that will forestall my intention to move to the Hana EH, at least for a while!
Awesome that you are noticing the changes fluid level makes. Maybe try taking out a smidge more? Experimentation is key.

Awesome that you are noticing the changes fluid level makes. Maybe try taking out a smidge more? Experimentation is key.
I try to let things settle a bit before making changes so I can be sure of what I'm hearing. I'll need a better syringe to extract more of this thick stuff out!

Thanks for the tip! I'll remember it in the future, but I don't think I'll get a second disc just to swap for a swankier color. But if I had not already opened it...
I have several colored vinyl LPs, but I guess I'm weird. I prefer the black vinyl to all others. Much easier to see dust, dirt, flaws, etc... Advantageous in cleaning.

I've been putting a lot of time into my 2nd system and room lately. It's in my basement, which is all concrete floors and block walls.

I've put down some rugs we had sitting around, and put up some thickish curtains to help dissipate reflections. I also have some acoustic batting in a few strategic places. As a result the room is waaay less echo-y or boomy.

The system is: Technics sl-1200 mk2 (20+ yrs old) w/Grado Gold 3 (8mz) -> iFi Zen Phono / Bluesound NODE (Gen3) -> Aric Audio Limitless preamp (all tube, point-to-point) -> Van Alstine modified Dynaco ST-150 (~50 yrs old, 75w/ch A/B -> Bowers & Wilkins DM602 (20+ yrs old, 8 ohm, 90db)

I'm kinda blown away with how good everything sounds, especially since it's not been put together with much thought towards compatibility/synergy.

It's a hodge podge of new and old, and definitely leans warm. The speakers have 7in Kevlar drivers, and with 75w in this small, damped room, the bass bumps without overhang. Imaging is deeper than my main system.

20220225_194632.jpg20220225_194723.jpg20220225_194736.jpg20220225_194754.jpg20220225_194927.jpg20220225_194816.jpg20220225_194902.jpg20220225_194942.jpg

20220225_210411.jpg20220225_210434.jpg

Last edited:
I've been putting a lot of time into my 2nd system and room lately. It's in my basement, which is all concrete floors and block walls.

I've put down some rugs we had sitting around, and put up some thickish curtains to help dissipate reflections. I also have some acoustic batting in a few strategic places. As a result the room is waaay less echo-y or boomy.

The system is: Technics sl-1200 mk2 (20+ yrs old) w/Grado Gold 3 (8mz) -> iFi Zen Phono / Bluesound NODE (Gen3) -> Aric Audio Limitless preamp (all tube, point-to-point) -> Van Alstine modified Dynaco ST-150 (~50 yrs old, 75w/ch A/B -> Bowers & Wilkins DM602 (20+ yrs old, 8 ohm, 90db)

I'm kinda blown away with how good everything sounds, especially since it's not been put together with much thought towards compatibility/synergy.

It's a hodge podge of new and old, and definitely leans warm. The speakers have 7in Kevlar drivers, and with 75w in this small, damped room, the bass bumps without overhang. Imaging is deeper than my main system.

View attachment 130373View attachment 130374View attachment 130375View attachment 130376View attachment 130377View attachment 130378View attachment 130379View attachment 130380
View attachment 130381
That is a stunning setup and I love the proximity to beer. Congrats!

View attachment 130373View attachment 130374View attachment 130375View attachment 130376View attachment 130377View attachment 130378View attachment 130379View attachment 130380
View attachment 130381
Now this is a hang!! We’re all coming over for a pint

Back when I posted this in the storage thread, I said I wanted to make a matching component rack out of a single sheet of plywood for my office system. Well, I finally got around to doing it. Plans are from the link below.

Yes, it's a copy of the Line Phono but I dig it. I still need to stain it (and the storage), get some records in, and get some feet on the bottom. But right now it works!

6300042E-F371-408E-9061-D75B259A174C.jpeg7DB4325A-18D3-4316-B286-514F3FBFF98D.jpegB948E3DF-4098-4D91-B4B7-43790FB2129F.jpeg

Back