Let's See What Makes Your Vinyl Spin!

Congratulations! And I really respect the way you've incrementally upgraded over the past four years. I wish I could be that restrained and calculated.

Now update your signature.
It's been a really fun journey and have really enjoyed seeing the impact that each little component makes on my system! Think I'm saving up for a Humminguru next but after that I'm going to sit with this system for a year at least before throwing anything more at it.

I CAN REST lol

It's been a really fun journey and have really enjoyed seeing the impact that each little component makes on my system! Think I'm saving up for a Humminguru next but after that I'm going to sit with this system for a year at least before throwing anything more at it.

I CAN REST lol
Marking 1 year on calendar before we tell you about tube amps :ROFLMAO:

Are you getting the Super Heavyweight still btw ?

After getting my first AudioTechnica LP-60 from Urban Outfitters 4 years ago I’ve finally arrived at a long term keeper following my Fluance RT85! Just got this puppy up and running yesterday, I’m astonished by how fun it is to listen to!

View attachment 129098

That’s how I started out. LP 60>Project Carbon Debut>Pioneer PL-530>MoFi UD.

Enjoy!!

KAB cited this Audiogon user review in their website. I have always thought of the tonearm as the weakest link for the PLX-1000; it seems the damper goes some ways toward ameliorating this, at least if the advantages are similar to those in the SL1200.

IMO, it’s a worthwhile investment.

The Super Heavy Weight is, IMO, a must have with the MoFi tables. Good call!
“Super heavy weight” at a mere 367 grams? Bah! My Pro-ject record puck weighs in at 750 grams and half the price! I have the good fortune of having a VPI bearing that doesn’t flinch at the extra weight. I wanted the heaviest weight that I could find.

Ha! It’s worth the investment IMO. No issues with it exposed my last time around. I didn’t change the antiskate, kept it at same value as my VTF for each cart.
Bandwagon joined! Just ordered the KAB tonearm damper. Curious to see how much of a difference I notice. What good is vinyl if it’s not tweaky? 😉

“Super heavy weight” at a mere 367 grams? Bah! My Pro-ject record puck weighs in at 750 grams and half the price! I have the good fortune of having a VPI bearing that doesn’t flinch at the extra weight. I wanted the heaviest weight that I could find.

The VPI weight is very sexy, but not cheap (175). 1.6 lbs. I would like to add a outer rim one day to my VPI rig.

1645073523390.png

Both tables up and running. MoFi is running the MasterTracker while the PLX switches between the MP500 and the V15 III. Running the MoFi tonight. Still need to fine tune setups on both over the weekend, but happy with what I’m hearing. The MoFi sounds and (to me) looks incredible. I’m pretty blown away by it. Any little fingerprint drives me mad though. 😂 And the PLX is just fun to use IMO.. got the KAB damper and my Herbies mat and weight so I’m off to the races. Happy listening all. 7E258CA3-844B-4F6B-995C-DA67FE3B29E2.jpeg

Last edited:
Whatcha thinking?
Always thinking of stuff, but I think I’m ready to go solid state again. But honestly by the time I’m financially ready to pull the trigger, there will probably be new stuff out I haven’t even considered yet.

Edit: expanding on this I’ll definitely go with something heavily focused on power supplies and I’ll still go integrated with basic functionality. I want to keep my dac, phono, streamer etc all outboard. Purists pieces. Open to suggestions :)

Last edited:
  • Laughing
Reactions: OMC
Waited for over a year for a 1200G. Got tired of waiting. Took the $ and spent it on 2 tables, a MoFi Fender Precision Deck and a return to an old friend, the PLX1000, to satisfy the DD/Cart changing itch.

@HiFi Guy recommended this to me years ago and I enjoyed it tremendously. At the time I got an upgrade itch and actually traded it for my first UltraDeck.

PLX re-arrived today. Waiting on my Herbies Mat and KAB Dampener. I forgot how heavy these were. Don’t recall the DJ badging on the old one but whatever. Starting out with my Shure V15 III w/Jico SAS. Set it to track at 1g and she’s singing. Will switch in the Nagaoka MP-500 as well.

I’m happy with how it worked out. Look forward to the arrival of the Mofi. View attachment 128856

2019. no DJ................and agreed on the hinges, although I still don't think it's a deal breaker.
View attachment 128858

So Herbie's Mat or Achromat -- which is the best way to go? Two very different material compositions in search of an improved result.

So Herbie's Mat or Achromat -- which is the best way to go? Two very different material compositions in search of an improved result.
I prefer the Herbies on the PLX.. I haven't had great results with the Achromat on any table I've tried it on.

Well. let's make this hard on you, I like the Archo (5mm), but, I've never tried the Herbies.
That was worth a chuckle! I'm not convinced yet that I need any mat upgrade. Just got the KAB damper to install today - one upgrade at a time to see how things shake out. The PLX-1000 rubber mat is a static generator in the winter, which does give me pause.

I'd heard good things about the Herbie's on the VPI Traveler (since the OEM mat is junk), but my el-cheapo Sleeve City "carbon fiber" mat on there does a good job controlling static, which I really like about it.

If you are talking about Herbie’s Way Excellent mat, I’ve found it to be a very good compromise between the stock Rega felt mat and a deer leather mat. Static free and neutral sound. Haven’t tried Herbie’s more expensive Grunge Buster as I am plenty happy with the WE II.

Back