Let's See What Makes Your Vinyl Spin!

Thanks chaps. It's become painfully clear since it arrived that I can't not have it in my life. The issue has been more one of timing and liquidity than anything else. The structure of the UK tax year for the self employed is that I pay up in Jan (a whisker over $10k for what it's worth). Adding the MG-1 on top is- realistically?- really bloody stupid but the price we negotiated was for this unit and time conditions came with that. It's not new and it's been updated to the latest spec in increments vs a factory fresh example and there's no way I can afford one of those.

I have effectively purchased the deck itself and the PSU. By the good grace of Vertere, an arm already lives here (I'll send the one that was affixed to the deck when it arrived back) and I own the cart. I haven't decided the fate of the other turntables. The Gyro will never be for sale but the AVID... the AVID might be (the Rega isn't mine to sell). Of course, taking the Vertere arm off the Gyro would have left that armless... except that I bought something two days before the Vertere arrived for review that I was intending to flip...

I have purchased the Vertere.

I didn't expand on this very much at the time because I was rocking backwards and forwards looking at my online banking but doing this actually goes hand in hand with doing something else very stupid. Remember this line?

I have effectively purchased the deck itself and the PSU. By the good grace of Vertere, an arm already lives here

That arm has lived here for a bit on the GyroDec and it has now been transplanted to the Vertere, set up and bloody marvellous it sounds too. However, I went on to say;

The Gyro will never be for sale

Which is all very lovely except a turntable without an arm is absolutely bloody useless. Now, you; a sane person might have looked at this line;

but the AVID... the AVID might be

And assume I can take an arm off that, pop it on the Gyro and that's it, job done. Except, I can't. 1) To have any chance of selling the AVID which is pre- drilled for an SME arm, I will have to sell the SME arm that is on it at the same time. 2) That leaves the Audio Note Arm III... which doesn't fit (or at least doesn't fit yet). So no dice.

Enter utter fiscal irresponsibility, stage left;

Of course, taking the Vertere arm off the Gyro would have left that armless... except that I bought something two days before the Vertere arrived for review that I was intending to flip...

Remember I said that the AVID needs to be sold* with the SME? The reason for that is that you can't buy SME arms on their own any more. SME has restructured their business so arms are only sold affixed to SME turntables. This means buying an SME arm on its own is not easy. Buying a new one that had never been mounted to a turntable is nearly impossible. Buying a new one that had never been mounted that also happened to be a unique specification is in the 'winning the Kentucky Derby on a unicorn' quadrant of statistical probability.

So, anyway;

1640022046724.png

1640022113139.png

An SME 309, finished entirely in black (down to having the VTA slide in black chrome- although it's reflection in the pic above makes it look lighter that it is. It also has an SME V wiring harness front to back and is the only 309 made with those two particular refinements. I bought this a little while back because a drunken zoom conversation with an industry buddy revealed its existence (ordered by someone who works for SME distributor and then never used for the task he had in mind for it) and I negotiated its release. The plan was always to sell it before the end of the financial year, make a profit and return the funds to the business account.

Well, herpty, derpty derp, look what happened earlier.

IMG20211220170356.jpg

IMG20211220172049.jpg

This means I have the Vertere to pay for and a nice additional black hole from liberating the 309 from it's packaging and using it. Hooray for idiocy!

Would any of you like to subscribe to my Onlyfans?

So, to reiterate, the way I see it, my OnlyFans is going to operate in reverse. I will bombard you with pictures of me naked unless you subscribe to make me stop. Foolproof.

*For the UK contingent reading this, I'll be listing the AVID in the new year but, if you can collect from near Milton Keynes and you want a twin armed turntable (and why wouldn't you? It 100% does make you more sexually attractive**), message me and we'll talk money.

**I rebuilt it and I now have a girlfriend. Can't ask for more proof than that.

A superb turn of events! Your fiscal idiocy makes me look upon my planned 2022 LP12 upgrades in a much better light. I shall use you as a reference point when explaining my upgrades further down the line…at least I’m not as irresponsible as this guy…👌🏻

1F5E2E34-CC44-4BA2-BB0B-9CAEFD863252.jpeg
030C2590-AE1C-4600-9E1F-1907D5B2F05E.jpeg
34C12D65-C967-4906-BAC1-C787A8A3B895.jpeg
Been waiting a long time for all of this to come together, so Merry Christmas N&G!
Bought a house in May, and the living room hifi is finally kicking.
L-R-ish:
Klipsch RP600Ms
Bluesound Node 2i
Decware Zen Triode
Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0
Schiit Magni
MoFi StudioPhono
VPI Cliffwood currently sporting a Goldring E3
Mostly Blue Jeans cables, with some Schiit and Lounge
Cabinet is by Department Home, handmade in Chicago. They do absolutely fabulous work.

As the system grows, I of course go further down the rabbit hole on the analog side. I am currently thrilled with the digital side - that Bluesound is a winner.

Thanks to much guidance and excellent input and info on the Audio Hardware forum - I love this group! Enjoy your spins this holiday season. Time to update my signature!

Last edited:
View attachment 122603
View attachment 122604
View attachment 122605
Been waiting a long time for all of this to come together, so Merry Christmas N&G!
L-R-ish:
Klipsch RP600Ms
Bluesound Node 2i
Decware Zen Triode
Schiit Magni
MoFi StudioPhono
Cabinet is by Department Home, handmade in Chicago. They do absolutely fabulous work.

As the system grows, I of course go further down the rabbit hole on the analog side. I am currently thrilled with the digital side - that Bluesound is a winner.

Thanks to much guidance and excellent input and info on the Audio Hardware forum - I love this group! Enjoy your spins this holiday season. Time to update my signature!
the old Christmas tree bass trap! 😊

Looking lovely! How do you like the RP-600M's ?

I
the old Christmas tree bass trap! 😊

Looking lovely! How do you like the RP-600M's ?
Ah yes - really tames that 200-300Hz mud, y’know? 😂

I really, really like the 600M’s. I’ve only heard them with this Decware amp, but the combo is exactly what I was chasing. Typically have the volume pot anywhere between 11 and 2 o’clock, and that fills this room easily. Nice to be able to let a power section do some work - that’s where the magic happens, as you know!

View attachment 122603
View attachment 122604
View attachment 122605
L-R-ish:
Klipsch RP600Ms
Bluesound Node 2i
Decware Zen Triode
Schiit Magni
MoFi StudioPhono

Nice. So what did you notice when you switched to the RCA tubes? I have the same but with the
Nice. So what did you notice when you switched to the RCA tubes? I have the same but with the stock tubes.
In my system they seemed to smooth out the top end reduced some harshness presented a warmer sound. Bought them on eBay $40 for a matched pair shipped they have worked out great put them in a month or so ago.

Vintage RCA 12AU7A PLATINUM GRADE Clear Top Preamp Tubes Matched Pair =6189 5814 | eBay

Back