Kanye

Those are incredibly bad reasons to find religion though.

Yupp, and this generation is incredibly lost imo(13-18 yo). So I think more of this is needed. We are in a time where alot of their time is spent on technology and devices (they aren't looking up bible verses)

When i was in elementary school almost all my friends did first communion after their CCD classes. Confirmation in high school, etc. We were all in young life.

That isnt the case anymore. It hardly exists. So if kids use Kanye as something to hide behind and pursue a relationship with God....that is not as bad as no relationship. I think.

Well lets discuss?

So u think there is someone that leads kids to christ that is popular in 2019, and made it seem cool?
How are lyrics about an actual relationship to Christ no deeper than "I love God", "The IRS takes too much of my money", and "You my Chik-Fil-A" exactly supposed to lead people to Christ? Or make it seem cool?

How are lyrics about an actual relationship to Christ no deeper than "I love God", "The IRS takes too much of my money", and "You my Chik-Fil-A" exactly supposed to lead people to Christ? Or make it seem cool?

If u really want a lyrical breakdown then we can bring up all the actual lyrics and not use the examples you chose to exhibit sarcasm.

For ppl that have no knowledge or relationship going in, basic language is key. Scripture is scary for newbies

When i was in elementary school almost all my friends did first communion after their CCD classes. Confirmation in high school, etc. We were all in young life.
I was the same but I didn't do all this stuff because I found God, I did it because everyone else was doing it and I went to a Catholic school.

What is your reasoning behind thinking it doesn't exist anymore? I think it exists it's just that media focuses on the idiocy of growing up as a misguided teen. We're all misguided FFS, but I don't credit God for helping me find my way, I credit a stable home environment.

Well lets discuss?

So u think there is someone that leads kids to christ that is popular in 2019, and made it seem cool?

You also disagree with my opinion on a full circle moment, from his first album, and the lyrics i quoted to this album going #1?

You don't think artists like Chance, will do a deeper dive than Coloring Book, now that this is out?

You don't think Christian rap/hip hop needed a boost?

I've seen the Chance comparison elsewhere as well, and I don't get it. Chance made a bold move with Coloring Book, and while The Big Day isn't as gospel-infused, I don't get any impression his gospel sound was a failure, nor was it derided. Quite the opposite, and it's weird to say JIK has vindicated him or will cause him to change direction.

I was the same but I didn't do all this stuff because I found God, I did it because everyone else was doing it and I went to a Catholic school.

What is your reasoning behind thinking it doesn't exist anymore? I think it exists it's just that media focuses on the idiocy of growing up as a misguided teen. We're all misguided FFS, but I don't credit God for helping me find my way, I credit a stable home environment.

My extended family has kids in elem, middle, etc. They tell me in their state, the classes are almost obsolete, unless you go private school, and it all is about the home now and church on sunday because the programs don't exist

Well lets discuss?

You also disagree with my opinion on a full circle moment, from his first album, and the lyrics i quoted to this album going #1?

You don't think artists like Chance, will do a deeper dive than Coloring Book, now that this is out?

You don't think Christian rap/hip hop needed a boost?
I dont see any of those things as positives is more what I meant.

I've seen the Chance comparison elsewhere as well, and I don't get it. Chance made a bold move with Coloring Book, and while The Big Day isn't as gospel-infused, I don't get any impression his gospel sound was a failure, nor was it derided. Quite the opposite, and it's weird to say JIK has vindicated him or will cause him to change direction.

While Coloring Book had gospel moments, most of the features and themes, were far from it. I meant exclusively a christian.gospel album

I dont see any of those things as positives is more what I meant.

Fair enough. I think Christian Hip- Hop/Rap potentially getting new ppl to look is good.

I also think Chance doing a proper album would be awesome because I think Kanye can learn from him about incorporating themes without coming across in a preachy way, amongst other things. Kanye is born again. Chance never left.

Do I think ppl seeking a relationship cuz of Kanye is garbage reasoning? 100%...Just observations from twitter, reddit, etc. (may be jokes, trolls, or it may be genuine. Who am i to judge)

My favorite full circle moment tho is realizing Kanye was wrong. He talked about God over the entire album, and went #1. Pushing 300K first week (more than the wyoming projects)

Last edited:
They may be in hater mode, but it’s still an indicator that any references Kanye makes about slavery are likely to call that episode to mind. I’d bet a lot of people made that connection involuntarily. I did.
Yea if you look at that one line out of context, sure. For normal people to hear that line and think of his slavery is a choice comments is perfectly fine, but for a critical review of the album to take that line out of context like CoS did is poor review procedure. It comes off as click baiting imo.

Too many of the reviews for this album are about Kanye the person and not JiK which has been extremely disappointing

Last edited:
Yupp, and this generation is incredibly lost imo(13-18 yo). So I think more of this is needed. We are in a time where alot of their time is spent on technology and devices (they aren't looking up bible verses)

That isnt the case anymore. It hardly exists. So if kids use Kanye as something to hide behind and pursue a relationship with God....that is not as bad as no relationship. I think.
Hard disagrees all around. That first line is extremely "old man yells at cloud"

Hard disagrees all around. That first line is extremely "old man yells at cloud"

Observations from working in child care, dating a woman with a young child for a couple years, and my cousins.

However, I know this differs state by state and all that. Ignore my observations! Just opinions based off what i've heard or seen

I was in that age range less than a decade ago so maybe I shouldnt call it

Observations from working in child care, dating a woman with a young child for a couple years, and my cousins.

However, I know this differs state by state and all that. Ignore my observations! Just opinions based off what i've heard or seen

I was in that age range less than a decade ago so maybe I shouldnt call it
I'm just saying every older generation thinks the younger generation is "lost" and it's a bad look imo

While Coloring Book had gospel moments, most of the features and themes, were far from it. I meant exclusively a christian.gospel album
Despite less smacking-you-with-my-faith-mallet in Coloring Book and TBD, I detected more belief in God from those albums and got a fuller portrait of someone living in and expressing their faith. In terms of making a joyful noise and expressing deep humility and love for one's God, Chance has been far more successful for me than Ye has been.

I'm just saying every older generation thinks the younger generation is "lost" and it's a bad look imo

That was a gross generalization on my part. I just think over the last 20 years religion has gone from being priority in the house to a back burner IN MOST HOMES. So the relationship with God has been lost, more so than when I was a kid, in my opinion.

Celebs are worshipped more than ever before and that lead me to my generalizations. Sorry!

Despite less smacking-you-with-my-faith-mallet in Coloring Book and TBD, I detected more belief in God from those albums and got a fuller portrait of someone living in and expressing their faith. In terms of making a joyful noise and expressing deep humility and love for one's God, Chance has been far more successful for me than Ye has been.
JiK isnt a gospel album tho. Christian rap? 100% But outside of the intro there isnt much Gospel imo

JiK isnt a gospel album tho. Christian rap? 100% But outside of the intro there isnt much Gospel imo

The last part was supposed to say Christian/Gospel because I see some elements of both in each. Yes JIK isnt really gospel at all. However I don't think Chance really dove in, as someone who grew up in the church and choir.

I hope Kanye's faith opens the door for Chance to be more up front with his next effort, if he goes there at all. Chance can fill the voids in kanye's effort imo! JIK has holes in it, but it is a solid base.

How Great is Our God, Blessings, and the intro were really the only ones from Coloring Book imo. I could be forgetting a song or two tho

So if kids use Kanye as something to hide behind and pursue a relationship with God....that is not as bad as no relationship. I think.
I...don’t think I agree. The book Kanye is ostensibly preaching from has a whole lot to say about false prophets and purveyors of faith with ulterior motives. But I also come from a non-Catholic tradition that is historically a lot less comfortable with having someone mediate my relationship with God, too.
Too many of the reviews for this album are about Kanye the person and not JiK which has been extremely disappointing
If you make X number of albums that are all about you, and then an album that is all about a new purpose in your life, I think you should expect that the reviews are going to be about you to a great extent, too.

Back