Kanye

Here's something you all might be interested in. Jesus Freak Hideout is a Christian music news/reviews publication that I read often. They put out a review of Jesus Is King, so if you want a Christian's perspective on the album, it's worth a read.

This album has me continually wondering about Chance and The Big Day. Just go back to the energy they had together on Ultralight Beam, and that Chance had in general with his whole gospel rap thing going on at that time; and imagine if TBD was produced by Kanye and had the vibe of JIK. Could have been amazing.

Last edited:
Here's something you all might be interested in. Jesus Freak Hideout is a Christian music news/reviews publication that I read often. They put out a review of Jesus Is King, so if you want a Christian's perspective on the album, it's worth a read.

I wasnt expecting that at all. I initially & immediately eye rolled thinking here is a 1 or 2 star not giving the man a chance. Great read 👏

I’m loving this new album. Not loving the lyrics all that much but that is what I’ve come to expect from him over the last few albums. The production is really pleasing to my ears anyway. It’s ultralight beams ahead of Ye. See what I did there? 😀
While we are rating the 7’s series, here’s how I see it.

k.t.s.e>Daytona>kids see ghosts>Nasir>Ye

Really nice hearing T.I. discuss Kanye's mental health on The Breakfast Club. Good to hear someone that was at odds with him a little over a year ago, acknowledge how much better of a place he is in. His most recent Zane interview vs. the last Zane interview is waaaaay different. He was literally losing his mind during the Yeezus era Zane interview. Good to hear people around him are seeing what some are seeing. A healthier, happier, family, and God oriented Kanye. Can't wait for this period to be over and all the bandwagon bashing, can cease to exist. I do understand others do not see it this way, and that is fine.

As a Kanye observer this album caught my attention in many ways. I understand the disinterest in a lot of ways from long time fans as it’s not only a departure lyrically but also at times production-wise as well.

I think this is to be expected a little bit. What I mean by that is this is yet another version of Kanye. He seems to be always changing as an artist and as a person. If you’re a Kanye fan , stay tuned and see what happens next. Not many artists evolve like this (for better or for worse) in such a short amount of time.

This was my not so well worded take as a non Kanye fan. The end.

Not bad!
Expected worse. Not because I dont rate it, I love it I just expected a lot less from pitchfork who I really dislike

Not bad!

They captured what really rings false about the "Jesus" part of JIK:

Beyond superficial gestures at biblical references and the capitalist leanings of American prosperity gospel, there is virtually no indication here as to what it means to follow Jesus. That is, other than to perhaps sit back and wait for Him to give you a Forbes cover and a billion-dollar sneaker brand. It’s hard to take West seriously when the obstacles he distresses over are Instagram likes and steep tax rates (the IRS, he complains, wants “half of the pie”). Rather than the grace, justice, and love that characterizes faith at its most transformative, West internalizes the religious entitlement that props up the wealthy and powerful, validating months of jokes about his ambitions as a megachurch pastor.
Revelations in recent weeks—that he admonished his wife for wearing tight clothes, asked collaborators to abstain from premarital sex, and began keeping a Christian scorecard that includes limiting himself to two curse words a day—suggest his interpretation of the gospel has been more dogmatic than faithful. Historically, it has been the vulnerability with which he expresses his own hypocrisies and moral failings that have made West a uniquely compelling artist; unfortunately, there is very little of that complexity on Jesus Is King. (An exception is “Follow God,” where an argument with his father prompts consideration, however shallow, of what it means to be “Christlike.”)

That said, the review has inspired me to give another listen.

This album has done a bunch of things in it's first week other than being #1:

1) Given the youth who follow trends, a popular figure (Kanye) that is pushing Jesus. This is a great thing. Jesus and God were not cool for the kids anymore, until Friday.
2) Given the generation that grew up with him during the Jesus Walks days a full circle moment. "If I talk about God my record won't get played huh!?!"
3) Opened the door for people like Chance to go head first and do a proper Gospel/Hip Hop Album
4) Potentially provided a ton of exposure to a genre that needs it
5) Has haters, doubters, and non believers working extra hard to bash something they wrote off last week as un interesting. Trash. Etc. (Like forreal I have never seen so many people who don't care, put extra effort out like this, to convince us they don't care)

Truly a moment that will live on for a long time in rap/hip hop

Last edited:
Can anybody take a shot at explicating his multiple invocations of the 13th amendment vis-a-vis his notorious comments about slavery as a choice?
To me the whole slavery is a choice thing was taken way out of context and blown up when it didn't need to be, I don't see much of a relation to these 13th amendment lines. I really don't think hes trying to say the 13th amendment is unnecessary because 'slavery was a choice' any or something like that.
Makes sense now that I’m seeing the lyrics on the page:
View attachment 20741
Just as a sanity check, Consequence is reassuring me that I’m not the only one who thought there may be a connection there:

Kanye references his controversial remarks from last year that slavery was a “choice” on the part of slaves. Here, he raps, “Thirteenth amendment, gotta end it, that’s on me,” acknowledging the amendment that freed the slaves. Is he finally going to open himself up to introspection — to analyze his past or present? Of course not.

Has haters, doubters, and non believers working extra hard to bash something they wrote off last week as un interesting. Trash. Etc. (Like forreal I have never seen so many people who don't care, put extra effort out like this, to convince us they don't care)
I disagree with all of your other points, but this one is 100% accurate

I disagree with all of your other points, but this one is 100% accurate

Well lets discuss?

So u think there is someone that leads kids to christ that is popular in 2019, and made it seem cool?

You also disagree with my opinion on a full circle moment, from his first album, and the lyrics i quoted to this album going #1?

You don't think artists like Chance, will do a deeper dive than Coloring Book, now that this is out?

You don't think Christian rap/hip hop needed a boost?

Back