Kanye

I didn't know so many people disliked TLOP to be honest. For me, he is somewhat consistently making records that don't sound like any other "rap" music out there which I at least find interesting. And a lot of his albums grow on me. What do you consider to be Ye's last good album/what's your favorite of his?
When TLOP first came out I was not a fan of it except for a few songs, but that's changed to really enjoying it except for a few songs. I think that was his last Good solo album (KSG is also Good imo, so that was really the last Good album he worked on), Yeezus was his last great album and MBDTF and College Dropout are his two Great(all timers) albums. Everything else is in the Good to great range except Ye and JiK which are both good, on my bad/fine/good/Good/great/Great scale.

1.5 listens in and I think my impressions of this are better than most in the thread. Disagree that it sounds less finished than Ye, I really think the opposite. Actually at this point I don't think there is anything that Ye does that JIK doesn't do better, and I like Ye all round.

To weigh in on the lyricism thing: He's always been quite a good lyricist, but I think often feels he doesn't need to try very hard with them. TLOP was the last time we had nice big original verses with top notch lyrics+rapping together. Even then it wasn't much, these last two albums of his have been too brief for that and to me its probably the biggest thing missing from JIK, Kanye just busting out really good bars.

Can anybody take a shot at explicating his multiple invocations of the 13th amendment vis-a-vis his notorious comments about slavery as a choice?

I think the idea there relates to his recent $1,000,000 donation to prison reform charities. I'm only reading/learning about this now, but theres an exception written into the 13th amendment that essentially allows slavery if its punishment for a crime. So I guess what he's getting at is that racial inequality in the prison system is possibly caused by the 13th amendment, and that removing it might help that? Considering Kim's meeting with the president (and I think shes becoming a lawyer to work on these sorts of cases?), this seems to be a bit of a theme with their philanthropy recently.

To me the whole slavery is a choice thing was taken way out of context and blown up when it didn't need to be, I don't see much of a relation to these 13th amendment lines. I really don't think hes trying to say the 13th amendment is unnecessary because 'slavery was a choice' any or something like that.

I think the idea there relates to his recent $1,000,000 donation to prison reform charities. I'm only reading/learning about this now, but theres an exception written into the 13th amendment that essentially allows slavery if its punishment for a crime. So I guess what he's getting at is that racial inequality in the prison system is possibly caused by the 13th amendment, and that removing it might help that? Considering Kim's meeting with the president (and I think shes becoming a lawyer to work on these sorts of cases?), this seems to be a bit of a theme with their philanthropy recently.

To me the whole slavery is a choice thing was taken way out of context and blown up when it didn't need to be, I don't see much of a relation to these 13th amendment lines. I really don't think hes trying to say the 13th amendment is unnecessary because 'slavery was a choice' any or something like that.
Makes sense now that I’m seeing the lyrics on the page:
AD0AE6E7-4A58-484E-9884-FB624B897CB4.jpeg

"I swear to God Im too cool for this safe belt"
-Through The Wire

"Use gospel this for your protection"
-Use this Gospel (samples seat belt ding)
I felt that

Also, fwiw. He explained one of the "which one's" from TLOP aesthetic was Paul the apostle/messenger. ❤

Case in point: When the percussion kicks in on "Use This Gospel" at 3:08, it kills it. The problem is that the song ends 25 seconds later. Why withhold the beat that long? Pusha's verse would have sounded amazing with the percussion going, and you could have dropped it out for the sax solo to heighten the impact of that. Instead the song sounds like a semi-interesting non-starter.

This has much more potential. I might have not started the percussion until 0:59, and dropped it entirely for the sax solo.

It also could use a bit beefier of a bass hit than what is in this version.

Anyways, that’s how my ears hear that. I don’t imagine everyone would agree, and Kanye certainly didn’t and that’s just fine.

it always takes me a little bit to get into Kanye albums but when I do, I really get into it.
That being said, I still haven't really gotten into Ye - it had some good tracks but doesn't feel like a full album. Time will tell on this one. But on first listen, nothing really stuck out to me.

So as someone who can't relate to or understand the references/themes about religion and Christianity this album really doesn't do much for me.
Trust me, as someone who is quite familiar with those references and themes, it doesn't do much for me either. Perhaps the only 27 minute album that I couldn't wait for it to be over.

Trust me, as someone who is quite familiar with those references and themes, it doesn't do much for me either. Perhaps the only 27 minute album that I couldn't wait for it to be over.
I gave it a couple more tries, but IMO it’s not good gospel, good theology, or good rap. It might not be a bad thing overall, but I don’t think it’s a good representation of any of those things specifically.

Back