Kanye

I've considered the 350 V2s but just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on shoes that costly, not knowing how they even look/feel on me.

Okay, I was the same way, but they're literally the most comfortable shoes out there. I've worn every brand and these take the cake easy. I usually wear them with slim jeans or if not slim cuffed jeans. Also, shorts lol

firstly. im a kanye fan. and secondly i recognize that his genius stems somewhat from his mental illness(es). but can we find a way to not straight up make this guy out to be something he's not? i mean, how long is it going to be before kanye makes another album and goes in a different direction? now thats hes born again is he going to give away his wealth / feed the hungry / go the anti-kardashian route? probably not?

he makes it so difficult to like or acknowledge his truths when most of the time his narcissism takes center stage. for a guy saying hes the most important artist or all time and then going to god - id like to see him become more of a role model if thats the direction hes going now. and id double down and wonder how long this is going to last.

So my fiance a former kanye fan turned meh asked how is the album today, I said it's a kanye album and it's great. She didnt believe me. I played it. She is hooked. She said it really is just a kanye album...I said I know. People getting too hung up on the jesus gospel christian aspect. Sonically it's great. My daughter loves it too

firstly. im a kanye fan. and secondly i recognize that his genius stems somewhat from his mental illness(es). but can we find a way to not straight up make this guy out to be something he's not? i mean, how long is it going to be before kanye makes another album and goes in a different direction? now thats hes born again is he going to give away his wealth / feed the hungry / go the anti-kardashian route? probably not?

he makes it so difficult to like or acknowledge his truths when most of the time his narcissism takes center stage. for a guy saying hes the most important artist or all time and then going to god - id like to see him become more of a role model if thats the direction hes going now. and id double down and wonder how long this is going to last.
He did just donate a million dollars to a prison reform charity.

Idk, imo this Kanye is the same as every version of Kanye that came before him, an extremely flawed and interesting human being.

Last edited:
I think it's very telling that many who enjoy the album are citing the religious angle as being the reason people must not like it, which is a very "you didn't like the movie because you didn't understand it" line of reasoning.

This does tap into something that's been bothering me about Kanye for the last few albums on an increasing level since Yeezus. I initially connected with his music because his lyrics were rather honest; he often fronted, but would present himself as a real person, warts and all. Since he got married, a lot of his verses about sex seemed...off. Like was I to expect that he was in an open relationship, or was he simply rapping about wild sex because that's what's expected of him? It's just added this overal patina of insincerity that makes a lot of what he's saying on and off mic hard to take seriously.

the way that works when you're rich is simple, but shady.

you owe the government x amount of tax at the end of the year. your financiual advisor / managers all come to you with ideas to use charitable donations as a way to pay that instead of tax and lowering your bracket too. not saying giving money away isnt great; and thats a very need cause. my feeling with ye is that he always has to do it in the public eye or be recognized. dude just comes off insecure as hell to me.

and lets be super real here - there are way better mc's and lyricists out there with less baggage, much culture, and haven't slipped up as many times that dont go media fucking just for the hell of it. hes obviously got some mental health issues - i just would prefer to know that ye being aware of who he is (and thinks more of himself than probably anyone on the planet based on his quotes) hed embrace that side and try to be a hero for many who suffer in silence.

if youre mega rich and famous, you have a platform man. and if you want history to remember you well you should damn well use it well most of the time. trying me best to seperate the great music from the awkwardly douchy guy that seems to be the black version of trump.

He did just donate a million dollars to a prison reform charity.

I think it's very telling that many who enjoy the album are citing the religious angle as being the reason people must not like it, which is a very "you didn't like the movie because you didn't understand it"

I think it’s more that the music is inarguably excellent and the lyrics aren’t. No snobbery needed. People are blaming the religiousness for that but it’s really just lazy lyricism regardless of topic. Anyone here the Yandhi leak? The lyrics aren’t religious and are just as poor.
So for me anyway, it’s what do you value more from music, the music or the lyrics? If lyrics are your thing, this one isn’t for you, religious or not.

Back