June 2020 Record Challenge Thread (The RAFFLE continues!)

Day 29 - life

Kamasi Washington - Heaven and Earth

Blimey, this day was difficult for me. I'm not sure self-introspection is my thing. I originally thought of Songs In The Key Of Life, but I already played that this month. So I chose this - even though I'm not a believer this feels like it captures the dark and light, yin and yang, whatever, of life very well.

20200629_115203.jpg

Day 29 - It’s Party time, if you could have your life summed up or represented by one album, which album would that be?

Mae - The Everglow

Man, this one was hard for me. I kept going morbid and thinking about what to play if I were dead haha but ultimately I came back to this one. I've mentioned it before but this was the soundtrack to my now wife and I's relationship early on, and one we still love today. Considering I'm 32 (almost) and have been with my wife for 15 years now and have had kids for 12, family and being a husband and dad pretty much define who I am. So this is fitting to sum things up for me so far (hopefully I have a long way to go haha)

Day 28: South America

I went into this reissue totally blind, but it was a great purchase.

Caetano Veloso ‎– Caetano Veloso
Third Man Records ‎– TMR-548, 1968/2019

Vinyl Me, Please. Exclusive Pressing – limited to 500, #081

Cut by Bill Skibbe

djZzuB.jpg

IaHsRf.jpg

Day 29: It’s Party time, if you could have your life summed up or represented by one album, which album would that be?

One of the things that I've always thought about Neil Young is that his albums tend to hit you are the right time. You may not get a given album at the moment (and there's a few that I still haven't connected with), but when you hit a point, especially with some of his more personal albums when that they hit you, they really hit you - like you are going through / understand what he was going through at the time. Silver & Gold, On The Beach, Broken Arrow all fit this bill for me.

Harvest though, this album hits me all the time. Although I probably wouldn't put this on at a party.

Neil Young ~ Harvest

IMG_7447.jpg

Day 29: It’s Party time, if you could have your life summed up or represented by one album, which album would that be?

Florence and the Machine - Lungs

E8A7C864-8188-4C52-9081-AD7CA23C1A95.jpeg
If they ever turned my life into a rom-com Lungs would definitely be the soundtrack. Dog Days Are Over, Between Two Lungs, You’ve Got the Love, Kiss With A Fist - you name the track and I could see the scene playing out.

As for a party - if you don’t instantly smile and start swaying your hips when Dog Days starts up...well, you might just be dead inside. And this maroon version is pretty fantastic!
8D980072-C3FA-479C-8E03-6CE0D198448A.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 29 – It’s Party time, if you could have your life summed up or represented by one album, which album would that be?

Oasis - Definitely Maybe (Big Brother, 2014 pressing)

Well this was a tricky challenge, so much so that I have a headache! After overthinking for far too long I went with this one from Oasis. They were just 2 local lads that were true to their roots and didn't let anyone else sway them from their path, which is something I try to live by when I can. Also.....they're Northern.

IMG_9202.JPG

Saturday (27) – National Onion Day, play an album that makes you cry

But I believe in Love
And I know that you do, too
And I believe in some kind of path
That we can walk down, me and you
So keep your candles burning
Make her journey bright and pure
That she'll keep returning
Always and evermore

3EBCCA75-1497-43DE-9ECE-85C0603499FF.jpeg

Day 27 - L'Onions - Sad Bastard Music

47FE86FA-5CBC-4EFE-B141-48E033A535FD.jpeg

Wolf Parade "Cry Cry Cry"

Yeah I don't have much sad music, or at least I don't buy much music that makes me sad! I was going to go with something that makes me feel sad but only for personal reasons but it's been a long day and I want to ride into the evening in a good mood! Also I love Wolf Parade, I celebrate their entire catalogue!

Back