June 2020 Record Challenge Thread (The RAFFLE continues!)

So new fire burner fitting has delayed record playing ..but back tonight to complete the challenge..but here’s a nice picture of my very handsome log burner in the meantime .....

View attachment 54490View attachment 54491

My wife has wanted one of those for years. I keep telling her we don't need one as it gets cold only for a week or 2 at most over here.
It looks really, really nice though, congrats!
Also, she will NEVER see this picture.

EDIT: I see that Beatles Mono box... Jealous....

day 30 - Play an album that brings out your creative side

Sigur Rós - ( )

4A3DC069-472F-4A0A-9E73-7E3E71071071.jpeg

Sigur Rós is the perfect band to put on and play in the background while doing anything creative, and this album is so lush and gorgeous (and the packaging is fantastic)

6DBDB3CD-13BA-4F60-8083-78489237C9AA.jpeg
Thanks to @blissfullychaotic for this great challenge! It’s helped me explore more of my collection and take time to spin some records.

Day 30: Creative juices

James Blackshaw - Love is the Plan, the Plan is Death

Only vocals on one song, this is mostly beautiful nylon-string guitar and two piano tracks. Just melodic enough to be hypnotic, just moody enough not to be distracting. I'm sure there's a reason I listened to this guy a million times in my last year of university.

IMG_20200630_133056_1.jpg

My wife has wanted one of those for years. I keep telling her we don't need one as it gets cold only for a week or 2 at most over here.
It looks really, really nice though, congrats!
Also, she will NEVER see this picture.

EDIT: I see that Beatles Mono box... Jealous....

Well I was slightly played ...my wife showed me the cost of the fire , down to the showroom etc, very nice ..didn't realise the cost of fitting was almost as much as the fire ...then we needed the tiles.....and a log store , and a ton of logs etc

My own fault for fibbing on the costs of records all these years!

Day 30 – Art is about creativity, imagination, it’s unique to each person. Play an album that brings out your creative side.

Lee Morgan - Search For The New Land (Blue Note, 1966 First Stereo Pressing)

There's plenty of albums that can really fall deep into, but 'Search For The New Land' is up there as one which gets me everytime. It just conjures up images of adventure and exploration, and really does get my creative side going.

Cheers for setting this month's challenges @blissfullychaotic, its been a blast!!

IMG_9238.JPG

Monday (29) – It’s Party time, if you could have your life summed up or represented by one album, which album would that be?

Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain

Pavement lyrics are always malleable to what you want them to be, but this album has a definite suburban malaise theme to it that really resonated with me the first time I heard it (about 15 years after it was released).

IMG_20200630_160935.jpg

Day (28) – South America, play a record that highlights music from South America
Bajofondo - Mar Dulce (2007)

IMG_20200630_113911381.jpg

I swear, this is the last album of tango I'll be playing here for a while. Like, maybe a week.
Bajofondo is a band with Gustavo Santaolalla and a bunch of other musicians that I really don't know, but they're from Argentina and Uruguay. It's not really tango... It's been called "electronic tango" which is completely bullshit, it's electronic music with bandoneón. And there are lots of guests here, like Elvis Costello and Nelly Furtado and Gustavo Cerati and Lágrima Ríos...
I guess if you're not really into tango, this is a more friendly thing to listen to.

Day (28) – South America, play a record that highlights music from South America
Bajofondo - Mar Dulce (2007)

View attachment 54539

I swear, this is the last album of tango I'll be playing here for a while. Like, maybe a week.
Bajofondo is a band with Gustavo Santaolalla and a bunch of other musicians that I really don't know, but they're from Argentina and Uruguay. It's not really tango... It's been called "electronic tango" which is completely bullshit, it's electronic music with bandoneón. And there are lots of guests here, like Elvis Costello and Nelly Furtado and Gustavo Cerati and Lágrima Ríos...
I guess if you're not really into tango, this is a more friendly thing to listen to.

I, for one, need more tango. Specially these modern takes. I only have my dad's old tango records.

Back