June 2020 Record Challenge Thread (The RAFFLE continues!)

Sunday (28) – South America, play a record that highlights music from South America

I'm going with Kali Uchis for today whose parents originally are from Columbia. She also lived there for a few years as a child. An amazing album, especially the song "Miami" which is about immigrating to another country. Great lyrics too.

Kali Uchis "Isolation"

IMG_20200628_083148.jpg

Day 28 - South America

Anibal Velasquez - En El Ritmico

I adore Colombian music and accordionist Anibal Velasquez is one of its stars. He has more albums than is possible to find (Discogs lists about 100; this is the sole original I have). Beautiful, although a touch ironic to play on first day for weeks when it's not tropical here but rather raining.

20200628_132826.jpg

Day 28 - South America, play a record that highlights music from South America

Black Pumas - Black Pumas

Ok so this one is a stretch and kind of cheating, but I realized I don't really have any South American music in my collection. Adrian Quesada is from Texas, but he released The Latin Shade of Texas Soul, highlighting Tejano music, a format that melds Mexican styles like Norteño with rock, country, blues and more. So I felt highlighting Adrian here would be allowed due to those ties.

Sunday (28) – South America, play a record that highlights music from South America

Getz / Gilberto - Selections from Getz / Gilberto’76

1FA8C58D-072D-432D-A418-B3926834ADCF.jpeg

When I think of South American artists, João Gilberto immediately comes to mind.

1AE0B4BE-7161-4AC1-8705-FCC4824CB6D3.jpeg

I grabbed this little 10” a few years ago for RSD, mainly because I needed more Getz / Gilberto in my life but also because it was recorded live in San Francisco.

D93F4422-525C-4501-8BFF-552CCAD5E4E1.jpeg

Saturday (27) – National Onion Day, play an album that makes you cry

Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher

I listened to this for the first time last weekend while driving down to Virginia to help my brother move. It started playing during a stretch of I95 that I was driving often during the worst month or so of my life, those drives in particular feeling extremely lonely. I didn't mean for them to line up but maybe it was subconscious. I don't think I'll ever be able to listen to Graceland Too without crying.

IMG_20200627_001109.jpg

Day 26: Acid

Grateful Dead - Anthem of the Sun

Not my favourite Dead, but probably their most psychedelic, except for maybe Aoxomoxoa. Also not at all what I want to listen to while indulging. As mentioned in another thread this week I think parts of this album would knock me toward bad trip territory like Are You Experienced did last summer. Anything with a really groovy, intoxicating bassline would be my go-to acid soundtrack.

IMG_20200628_114943.jpg

Back