June 2020 Record Challenge Thread (The RAFFLE continues!)

Tuesday (30) – Art is about creativity, imagination, it’s unique to each person. Play an album that brings out your creative side.

An album that really gets my imagination going is "Hounds of love" by Kate Bush. Both lyrics and melodies are full of creativity and power and take the listener on a journey, going deeper and deeper. As said in the middle of "Hello Earth" in German language: " Tiefer, tiefer, irgendwo in der Tiefe gibt es ein Licht" (Deeper, deeper, somewhere in the deep there is a light). I think it's one of the best records of the 80s. 😍

Kate Bush "Hounds of love"

IMG_20200630_081243.jpg

Thanks a lot to @blissfullychaotic for hosting this wonderful challenge. It was a lot of fun and very interesting. 💜

Day 30 - Art is about creativity, imagination, it’s unique to each person. Play an album that brings out your creative side.

Sure Fire Soul Ensemble - Build Bridges

When I need to really focus or get creative I typically turn to instrumental music, and this is one of my favorites! Thanks @blissfullychaotic for hosting this month! Had a lot of fun and was challenged to do some research on some of the themes haha

Day 27 - Onion Day
Warren Zevon - Life'll Kill Ya

Probably could have found a better pick, but I just got this in and in retrospect, because I know he would die of mesothelioma 3 years later, the album's focus on mortality and sickness brings another level of sadness to it. Even a song as humorous as My Shit's Fucked Up, becomes more complicated. At the same time, it makes me hope that he was preparing well for what was to come. RIP.

IMG_20200630_084330.jpg

Ok, let's try to catch up...

Day (25) – Hype up a record label that you think deserves some attention
Ásgeir - In The Silence (2013). Label: One Little Independent (fka One Little Indian)

IMG_20200630_113539570.jpg

What I like about OLI is that they have a bunch of Icelandic artists on their catalogue, besides Björk. Ásgeir is a great songwriter that should get way much more recognition. I could've chosen Record Records too for the same reason, but RR is an Icelandic label so it was kind of obvious.

Day 29 - Party Life?
Meat Puppets - Up On The Sun

Also had a hard time with this one. A little confused by the description. I don't think my life would be well represented by a party album. I don't know about my whole life, but this isn't a bad fit to represent me. Different, out of tune, deadpan, love it or hate it, DIY. 🤷‍♂️

IMG_20200630_105136.jpg

Tuesday (30) – Art is about creativity, imagination, it’s unique to each person. Play an album that brings out your creative side.

Twin Limb - Anything Is Possible And Nothing Makes Sense

This is a local band and they represent creativity and imagination by doing their own thing. I saw them live at their album release party, the guitarist was wearing peacock feathers while artistic lighting enveloped the stage. They even passed out some "kaleidoscope" glasses that when worn gave a rainbow sparkly effect. I don't think I've seen any other show like it.

Here are a couple pics of the show.

IMG_20161029_242735483.jpg

With the glasses over the camera lens:
IMG_20161028_234351801_TOP.jpg

IMG_20200630_105218.jpg

Twin Limb - Anything Is Possible And Nothing Makes Sense

This is a local band and they represent creativity and imagination by doing their own thing. I saw them live at their album release party, the guitarist was wearing peacock feathers while artistic lighting enveloped the stage. They even passed out some "kaleidoscope" glasses that when worn gave a rainbow sparkly effect. I don't think I've seen any other show like it.

Here are a couple pics of the show.

View attachment 54479

With the glasses over the camera lens:
View attachment 54478

View attachment 54477
Love this band. First heard them through a magnificent split 7" they did with fellow (new) Louisvillians Murder by Death.

Day (27) – National Onion Day, play an album that makes you cry
Johnny Cash - American Recording IV: The Man Comes Around (2002)

IMG_20200630_114153100.jpg

When this album was released, I had no idea who Cash was. We really don't listen to country music here in Argentina. So one day I had to go to therapy but I went to a cyber cafe before and checked s Tori Amos forum where I used to participate. Somebody recommended the video of "Hurt" and I had time to kill so I played it.
OH JESUS I COULDN'T STOP CRYING.
Half of the songs here are so sad. Even the happiest ones, like "We'll meet again" seem to sad knowing that this was his last album before passing away.

There are lots of videos of people reacting to the music video of "Hurt". I don't know why it's so mesmerizing to watch people crying watching it.

Back