June 2019 Vinyl Challenge

Day 23: I Love You Unconditionally

Woodstock: Music from the Original Soundtrack and More

623401A5-74DA-4A94-86A6-561E13FE5888.jpeg

The 2019 mono RSD mix. It doesn’t sound very good (Canned Heat’s “Going Up the Country” in particular sounds like regurgitated shit), but I’m happy to have a copy of this in my collection, though I might swap it out if the (presumably) stereo reissue later this year ends up getting some positive reception.

Day 23 - I Love You Unconditionally

Television - Marquee Moon
(4 Men with Beards copy)

I started collecting in 2005 and this was one of the first records I bought, so it has sentimental value. I remember finding it at the record store and being super excited - even in 05, originals were hard to find and pricey. I had no idea what 4MWB was.

The mastering here isn’t too bad. There’s definitely some sibilant distortion on the vocals in places, though. The vinyl itself looks a little like the surface of the (marquee?) moon - I understand that was pretty typical of a Rainbo pressing of this era.

592DDA59-CF34-481E-9166-991EDB11FA3D.jpeg

Day 21 Part Deux - Summer Is Still Here

So, just back from the patio of our neighborhood bar we are chilling on our patio and I put this on the TT for the first time in awhile. It's the tail end of three picture perfect Michigan days to kick off summer, and this album is just fucking working right now on this wonderful Sunday evening.

Cheers everyone!

Screenshot_20190623-192151.jpg

Day 23 - I Love You Unconditionally

Television - Marquee Moon
(4 Men with Beards copy)

I started collecting in 2005 and this was one of the first records I bought, so it has sentimental value. I remember finding it at the record store and being super excited - even in 05, originals were hard to find and pricey. I had no idea what 4MWB was.

The mastering here isn’t too bad. There’s definitely some sibilant distortion on the vocals in places, though. The vinyl itself looks a little like the surface of the (marquee?) moon - I understand that was pretty typical of a Rainbo pressing of this era.

View attachment 8246

Better to have a 4MWB press of Marquee Moon than no press of Marquee Moon.

Day 15 - Hair-Raising

Murder by Death/Twin Limb - The Monolith b/w Hunted (7 Series Part 7)

My favourite band has been doing these split 7"s for a while now, where they and another artist cover one of each other's songs. This latest installment, from about a year and a half ago, is by far my favourite and most spun. "Hunted" is a mediocre MBD song, to me, but the female vocalist in Twin Limb really pulls something else out of it, layered on top of some cool electronic sounds and a crescendoing guitar. MBD's take on "The Monolith" is one of their best and most affecting recordings over their 20-year career. The last half of the song, my neck hair is standing straight up the entire time.

IMG_20190625_145945.jpg

Day 25 - Randomizer
Pick someone else's post from earlier this month, then play a record related to that record or the person who posted it

Day 1 - Who Are You?

"I'm an R&B ***** with a hip-hop core." - 6lack

6lack - East Atlanta Love Letter
View attachment 4072

Atlanta!

OutKast - Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik

IMG_20190625_145601.jpg

Also apparently some of the younger folks have not heard of Outkast, yet.

I believe in our youth and they will for sure find all the greats and give us new jams like 6lack!

Day 16 - Yes, It's Fathers Day
I'm a father and a son, but let's not limit it to just that today.

Van Morrison - Veedon Fleece

Not for my dad. He and I don't share too much music, and I feel like I've played enough Cat Stevens and Simon & Garfunkel for similar challenges in the past, so I'll go a different direction.

When I finished my bachelor's degree in 2012, I was hoping to work for a while to save up and go back to teacher's college. I wanted to teach high-school English and history. I reached out to a former teacher who was now the principal and let him know I'd love to volunteer a couple days a week to get some experience. He put me in touch with my tenth-grade civics teacher, who I was never really that friendly with back in school but liked well enough, as well as my English teacher who I was always very chummy with. I spent the next year coming in once in a while to help plan or mark, help kids with projects and research, observe, sometimes give a lesson, and generally hang out. It was amazing. The two teachers loved having me around and I loved being there. The civics teacher, who I was helping teach Canadian history, and I got on great and talked about music all the time. I mentioned that I'd been listening to Astral Weeks a lot and he said I had to check out Veedon Fleece, which for some reason never got the same attention. Of course I did, and loved it. When VMP announced this I was pretty excited. So here's to you, Klomp.

I've still got some books he lent me that I need to get back. I should send him a copy of this, too.

IMG_20190625_150952.jpg

Last edited:
Day 17 - You Gotta See These Guys!

Murder By Death - In Bocca Al Lupo

I recently saw them for the tenth time, and every show over the last decade has been incredibly fun. A lot of great drinking songs and the best to sing along to with my friends. They also play in really cool locations, like the Stanley Hotel in Colorado around New Year's and this and last year in the Cumberland Caverns in Tennessee for extra fun experiences.

This is the album whose cover is framed and signed above my table.

IMG_20190625_160607.jpg

Day 24: shred with me
Brand New~ the devil and God are raging inside of me

One of the hardest and conflicting choices I've had to make. Brand new was such an important band to me growing up and when everything surfaced it sucked being torn the music and the musician based on some awful stuff. I don't aim to offend and understand how some people may have different feelings and I 100% respect that.

I chose this album because Vincent Accardi absolutely shreds on the album and is one of my top 20 albums. When this album was released back in 2006, to say the least well it was a rough year and during that time this album helped me get through a lot of those low moments.

IMG_20190625_165049.jpg

Back