June 2019 Vinyl Challenge

Day 19: On Repeat

As someone that really doesn't care for live albums, it does seem a bit odd that my favorite album of all time happens to be a live album.

I can listen to this all day long.

801 ‎– 801 Live
Polydor ‎– 2310 510, 1977

New Zealand reissue

b1ZEdn.jpg

Y8OkYl.jpg

Day 20: Colors

I have a couple 70's/80's albums/7" on colored vinyl, but it wasn't really that popular with mainstream releases - it was seen on bootlegs and such a lot more.

This is one of the first ones I got when I got into buying vinyl. The water damaged sleeve made it very affordable - and the vinyl was in great shape.

Smashing Pumpkins ‎– Siamese Dream
Caroline Records/Virgin ‎– CAROL 1740 1, 1993

Original pressing on Orange Marbled vinyl

Cut at Masterdisk
Pressed at Rainbo

Zwg2mJ.jpg

4Drbdw.jpg

I am way behind now but will try to catch up.

Day 13 - Lucky 13

The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute

Bought this for about $30 CAD back in early 2008, when I was first really starting to buy records. Naively assumed everything was available on vinyl, didn't know that this would turn out to be pretty rare and now goes for a few hundred. One of a couple jewels of my collection, and over the course of my life, probably one of my most played albums.

IMG_20190621_135205.jpg

Day 22 - Hot Water
Play an album by someone who has been in some kind of legal trouble

Johnny Cash - Sings: The Songs That Made Him Famous

Info from Wikipedia

"Phillips was rumored to have told Cash to "go home and sin, then come back with a song I can sell", although in a 2002 interview, Cash denied that Phillips made any such comment."

" Although Cash cultivated a romantic outlaw image, he never served a prison sentence. Despite landing in jail seven times for misdemeanors, he stayed only one night on each stay. "

IMG_20190622_073041.jpg

Last edited:
Day 22: Legal Issues.

Jello Biafra was arrested for distributing "harmful material to minors" after including the infamous poster in the original copies of this album. Dead Kennedys also disbanded during the trial.

Spoiler Alert - The trial ended deadlocked 5 to 7 in favor of acquittal and was declared a mistrial - judge then dropped all charges.

Dead Kennedys ‎– Frankenchrist
Alternative Tentacles ‎– VIRUS 45, 1985

Includes the H.R. Giger poster "Work 219: Landscape XX" (also known as "Penis Landscape")

y3fXZK.jpg

oBto6e.jpg

Poster image below - click at your own peril.
XefygY.jpg

Jello Biafra's Spoken Word album covers the whole story of censorship and the trial - it's a great listen, even being a bit dated.

Last edited:
Day 22- In Hot Water: Fela Kuti- Everything Scatter

Let’s see- In the US without visas & fled before deportation, formed a state within Nigeria prompting the Nigerian military to attack & destroy his studio and home. Countless arrests & made up charges all the way to kidnapping and murder. Exiled to Ghana for a period of time. Actually spent time in prison for currency smuggling.

Despite all of this, he never stopped his relentless protests against corrupt, dictatorial governments in his own country and around the world. Somehow is one of the greatest musicians to ever walk the Earth.

B0AEF8DA-871E-4929-9A21-39C1417540A9.jpeg

Back