June 2019 Vinyl Challenge

Day 24: Shredded.

Being in a band with the Greatest Drummer Of All Time and Geddy Lee, one can seem to forget the 3rd member. Alex Lifeson is probably the least thought of in this band, but he is one hell of a guitar player.

Rush ‎– Hemispheres
Mercury ‎– B0022378-01, 1978/2015

DMM Cut by Sean Magee at Abbey Road
Pressed at QRP

SqKATl.jpg

Zmolri.jpg

Day 26: outliers
Ruining ~ eternity and a day

IMG_20190616_164529.jpg
I like ambient music but I'm extremely picky with it so I very rarely buy this genre, however this album was unique and struck my interest and it's from my favorite label space circle records so I had to buy it and I actually spin it more than. I would've thought. However I haven't bought much more ambient since buying this

Day 27 - Those Were the Days Part II

Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street
Kinney Music of Canada pressing

I have other older pressings that probably sound better in the grand scheme of things (this is not a super high fidelity recording to begin with), but this is notable because it sounds waaay better than this album ever sounds in any other format. If you see this one even in VG condition, buy it.

@Lee Newman this is the version I mentioned to you before.

D03D4963-AE33-49AF-98CE-563754A0A2D2.jpeg
89F47316-9DA1-4A70-BD23-FD63AEDE4F4F.jpeg

Day 26: Outlier

I could easily say Rap/Hip Hop or Country, but since I have more of those I'm gonna go with "Electronic"...which seem pretty general, but what I am more thinking about is what I would lump into "Techno".

I have a few Aphex Twin albums on CD, but have never gotten around to picking them up on vinyl.

Aphex Twin ‎– Ventolin 12"
Sire ‎– 0-66143, 1995

Cut by Rick Essig at Frankford/Wayne Mastering Labs
Pressed at Specialty

USe8nr.jpg

J5CE70.jpg

Day 27: Those Were the Days #2

I have to think this promo was for radio stations to have easy access to these tracks...other than that I don't really know much about it.

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young ‎– Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young Month Celebration Copy
Atlantic ‎– PR 165, 1971

Promo-only Compilation

Cut by George Piros at Atlantic
Pressed at Presswell

FRELdr.jpg

R5xisU.jpg

tDlxpy.jpg

Day 27 - Those Were the Days II

Grateful Dead - Workingman's Dead
-1970 Pitman Pressing
Not sure if that^ means anything, but I can say this is super clean and among my very best sounding records.
Hoping to find a similar version of American Beauty instead of a repress.

Can't go wrong with a Pitman pressing.

Most of what I get out here on the West Coast are Santa Maria pressings, which aren't too bad. For the various Columbia pressing plants, Pitman is usually thought of as the better of the bunch.

Day 22 - Hot Water

Mastodon - Crack the Skye

I don't remember if he got charged at all for this, but there was an infamous incident after the 2007 VMAs where guitarist Brent Hinds, drunk off his ass, got in a fight with some other musicians, resulting in a pretty severe concussion among other injuries. In the year following, while recovering, he wrote most of what became this spacey prog-metal masterpiece.

IMG_20190628_101700.jpg

Day 28- Dinner/Food Party: Singles Going Steady by The Buzzcocks

Sitting down for a meal means great conversation. The music can be a great part, but this one feels like a great pick. Lots of somewhat familiar stuff, but just enough for someone who isn’t a diehard music fan to discover a potentially new favorite band.

8A6C3E79-D31C-4EAB-8022-84F930B75B2D.jpeg

Day 28 - Food Pairing
You're having a dinner party, or maybe just a friend over for a meal.
What do you play when you sit down to eat?

Even though I like jazz, which may be the "classy" thing to spin, my friends and I agree that playing "normal" music is much more enjoyable when company is visiting. But I also agree with @Joyless Division that it should be interesting enough to talk about.

Superorganism ‎– Superorganism

IMG_20190628_181719.jpg

Day 28 - Food Pairing

Tortoise - TNT

This seems like a great excuse to spin this fantastic PIF from @TheMythOfSisyphus. This album has a great balance of interesting content, while not being too overpowering to have a conversation. If the PIF thread is any indication, the topic of the dinner conversation may very well turn out to be this album.

C3908966-6A69-45DD-A280-20399E4BC6ED.jpeg

Day 28: Dinner Party.

I wasn't gonna pick this one but changed my mind while listening to it. It is a very eclectic album as the tracks are quite different from each other.

Emerson, Lake & Palmer ‎– Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Island Records ‎– ILPS 9132, 1970

UK pressing - Pink Label

Pressed at EMI Records

1Dh20p.jpg

CLpR4y.jpg

Day 28 - Dinner Party

Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane - At Carnegie Hall

We have a lot of dinner parties; usually at least once a month we have a couple friends or more over for food, music and drinks. There's always a flow to the music choices on the TT, with soul and funk being what I like to cook to. But usually when we sit down to eat, I'll put on jazz. This one is never a bad choice, it's an excellent session and it sounds amazing.

20190629_131102.jpg

Back