July 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge: Summer Breeze Makes Me Feel Fine

July 23 - Amazing cover.
Play a record with great artwork (bonus points if it is not Peter Seville, Reid Miles or Vaughan Oliver designed)

Tortoise - Standards

Just got this one, and I find the cover quite striking in how it warps a recognizable symbol into almost a geometric abstraction.

View attachment 106608
Just curious, is the “Tortoise” “Standards” text printed on the directly on the album jacket? I have an older pressing that come ls in one of those heave plastic sleeves and the text is printed directly on the plastic sleeve so you slide the cardboard jacket out of the sleeve it’s just a the album art without text. Are the new pressings the same way?

Just curious, is the “Tortoise” “Standards” text printed on the directly on the album jacket? I have an older pressing that come ls in one of those heave plastic sleeves and the text is printed directly on the plastic sleeve so you slide the cardboard jacket out of the sleeve it’s just a the album art without text. Are the new pressings the same way?

This time the band name and album title are printed on the jacket, in a slightly glossier white than the background white.

This time the band name and album title are printed on the jacket, in a slightly glossier white than the background white.
Nice. My copy is kinda noisy. I am thinking there might be some off-gassing from the PVC sleeve but it’s translucent red vinyl so it’s hard to tell visually. I’m thinking I wanna give the reissue a go. Thanks for the info.

July 25 - All of you are the best.
Play something that you got as a PIF or because a forum member turned you on to the artist

The Grateful Dead "Reckoning" (1981 Arista; 2020 reissue from VMP anthology)
This is a PIF I received from @Mather. A "grate" addition to my burgeoning Dead collection. This happens to be the first PIF I received after I started offering some of my own earlier this year. Can't say enough about the generosity of the international PIFfing crew. I've so far sent out and received records to the UK, Ireland, Germany and Canada. It's rewarding to find a good home for your lesser loved pieces and then adopt the same from others.

IMG_1633-1.JPG

Play something that you got as a PIF or because a forum member turned you on to the artist

I think credit goes to several folks here (@Mack37 , @KenKaniff , @Djxfactor511) all brought him up separately and, despite ignoring him even when he Co headlined with I'm With Her, I've been finally been falling into a rabbit hole recently for...

Billy Strings - Home

PXL_20210725_161735159.jpg

July 25 - All of you are the best. - Play something that you got as a PIF or because a forum member turned you on to the artist

Blossom Dearie - Blossom Dearie

Very Meaty Pizza introduced me to the album, but the only reason I own it is because of the folks on the forum, specifically @Mather. I slept on it and it was announced as sold out, then a handful more went up for sale online. I didn't have my phone on me at the time but Mather was persistent and kept messaging and tagging me to help me grab a copy. When I finally got home I saw all of the notifications and jumped in and grabbed a copy in time. I'll always be grateful for that as this is one of my all time favorite albums!

@highqualityrecords sent me this and a handful of other records for doing a few boxes of warped records on the Vinyl Flat.

Equip ‎– Cursebreaker Gaiden
100% Electronica ‎– 128P, 2020

Plays at either 45 or 33

Pressed at GZ/Precision Record Pressing

eFgv1y.jpg

d4pZ7Z.jpg

July 25 - All of you are the best. - Play something that you got as a PIF or because a forum member turned you on to the artist

Blossom Dearie - Blossom Dearie

Very Meaty Pizza introduced me to the album, but the only reason I own it is because of the folks on the forum, specifically @Mather. I slept on it and it was announced as sold out, then a handful more went up for sale online. I didn't have my phone on me at the time but Mather was persistent and kept messaging and tagging me to help me grab a copy. When I finally got home I saw all of the notifications and jumped in and grabbed a copy in time. I'll always be grateful for that as this is one of my all time favorite albums!

Just remember, once @Mather helps you like that, he owns your soul

All of you are the best

Calliope Musicals - Color / Sweat
20210725_114327.jpg

This one comes thanks to @bfly not only making a great AotM pick but also for getting this copy into my hands.

More than I realized, this is exactly what my spirit needs right now. I streamed the album once or twice upon its reveal but this is a first spin situation. And second, as I'll be dropping the needle right back at the start as soon as this spin ends. It's also a revelation. And is causing me a fuller outward joy (and hope?) than I have experienced in longer than I'd noticed. There's a special kind of magic happening here, and I'm so grateful to @bfly for spreading its glitter our way.

If you haven't yet, check out the June 2021 AotM thread to learn more about the album, the band, and the genuinely awesome people behind it all.

I have for some reason avoided the N&G AotM threads for some reason. Maybe because there is nothing to whinge and moan about. But since it is TFC for August I think I might jump in.

I've been slowly working my way through the last couple of years - a couple of things I've had already and anything else I'm just streaming for now, but so far I've been absolutely thrilled with the experience and the choices. It's a very diverse ride and has put some cool things I'd never have otherwise heard of on my radar.

I've been enjoying going through the threads as I stream each album a couple of times, which has made the process much slower but further entertaining revisiting all the guesswork and reactions too.

Tom Misch and Yussef Dayes - What Kinda Music

This was a curated Secret Santa gift from @Memo
New to me at the time, but I have listened to this a LOT since then

20210725_181807.jpg

Back