July 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge: Summer Breeze Makes Me Feel Fine

July 20 - The moon landing was fake
Play something spacey or makes you think of sci-fi

UNKLE - Psyence Fiction

Self-explanatory choice, I think...

20200530_121429-jpg.49691

July 23 - Amazing cover.
Play a record with great artwork (bonus points if it is not Peter Seville, Reid Miles or Vaughan Oliver designed)

Rolling Blackouts C.F. "Hope Downs" (2018 Sub Pop)
We all know those classic album covers so I thought I'd go with something more contemporary for today's theme. There's something that grabs me about that half-empty (or is it half-full) pool on the cover. The mostly empty pool and dead leaves floating it the remaining water evokes the end of the summer holidays. But Rolling Blackout Coastal Fever's jangle pop has some optimism to it.

IMG_1631.JPG

July 23 - Amazing cover.
Play a record with great artwork (bonus points if it is not Peter Seville, Reid Miles or Vaughan Oliver designed)

Rolling Blackouts C.F. "Hope Downs" (2018 Sub Pop)
We all know those classic album covers so I thought I'd go with something more contemporary for today's theme. There's something that grabs me about that half-empty (or is it half-full) pool on the cover. The mostly empty pool and dead leaves floating it the remaining water evokes the end of the summer holidays. But Rolling Blackout Coastal Fever's jangle pop has some optimism to it.

View attachment 106530
Just from a photograph perspective, that is perfect composition

July 22 - Today’s Tom Sawyer/He gets high on you
Play something that makes you want to play air guitar/drums/key-tar

Let's air guitar the shit out of this house!!!!

The Cult - Sonic Temple

View attachment 106543

That and Electric are two albums I've had on my wishlist forever. The price of the reissues never seem to drop. How does the pressing sound?

That and Electric are two albums I've had on my wishlist forever. The price of the reissues never seem to drop. How does the pressing sound?
This is the pressing I have:
Sonic Temple by The Cult. #DiscographicApp
The Cult – Sonic Temple (2019, 30th Anniversary, Vinyl)1627085155359.png

And it appropriately rocks!
It's the kind of record you put on and can't help but smile from the moment Sun King starts. Edie is such an amazing song.
I also have this Electric pressing:
Electric Peace by The Cult. #DiscographicApp
The Cult – Electric Peace (2013, Gatefold, Vinyl)1627085614325.png

And it sounds great too. The Peace version is great and I kinda like it more.

July 21 - Live
I go to pretty much every show within 100 miles so it guts me to not be at tonight’s show, but I’m sure I’ll see them soon enough.
Remember when iTunes did a free song a week? It was one from this album one week. I think it was “Closer to You”. I’ve been a fan since!

Brandi Carlile - Brandi Carlile
EBBC56B9-EB74-43EA-926F-2811B0755655.jpeg

July 24 - Speaking of covers...
Play a record with a great cover song on it.

Aladdin Sane has Bowie covering the Stones and my initial impulse was to go with Pinups next, a whole album of Bowie doing covers.
But this album has him doing Neil Young and The Pixies!

David Bowie - Heathen

286ABC47-37AD-440C-AE86-8427C8752A75.jpeg

And the artwork is great too!

I was originally thinking of something else, but I have this in my "new-to-me" stack and want to start filing them away.

I skipped a lot of his solo stuff after The Sinister Urge, so this is the first time I've heard this one all the way through as I go back and pick up what I can....I think Hellbilly Deluxe 2 is the last that hasn't had a reissue...and 2010 copies are a bit pricey.

Rob Zombie ‎– Venomous Rat Regeneration Vendor
Zodiac Swan Records ‎– B0018101-01, 2013

Cut by Ron McMaster

NtlXlF.jpg

EnRef0.jpg

I was originally thinking of something else, but I have this in my "new-to-me" stack and want to start filing them away.

I skipped a lot of his solo stuff after The Sinister Urge, so this is the first time I've heard this one all the way through as I go back and pick up what I can....I think Hellbilly Deluxe 2 is the last that hasn't had a reissue...and 2010 copies are a bit pricey.

Rob Zombie ‎– Venomous Rat Regeneration Vendor
Zodiac Swan Records ‎– B0018101-01, 2013

Cut by Ron McMaster

NtlXlF.jpg

EnRef0.jpg

I've regretted not just getting the boxset that had Hellbilly Deluxe 2 in it when udiscover let you stack those discounts last year. Don't know why that's the only way to buy it still.

And I love this cover, but they sent me three picture discs of this as replacements no matter how I explained I ordered the regular edition and they kept sending me the wrong thing anyway.

Back