July 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge: Summer Breeze Makes Me Feel Fine

July 25 - All of you are the best.
Play something that you got as a PIF or because a forum member turned you on to the artist

I fell a bit behind on one of the toughest days. I haven't done PIF yet cause I just learned what it was from this challenge. Looking forward to putting some stuff up there soon. And I honestly haven't been turned on to many artists here yet. I've listened to quite a few that I hadn't heard of before the forum, but not many have stuck with me yet. I've listened wide and deep for years, so it's a bit more of searching for diamonds in the rough these days. Or new artists, but I don't love a lot of the newer sounds these days. The one exception I can think of, and for the life of me I cannot remember whose post I read that convinced me to get this, is a diamond in the rough to me for sure: Hiroshi Yoshimura's Green. I hadn't explored this kind of music in Japan before reading about it here and I do love this album now.

16274870635551965192151911411887.jpg

July 26 - 2nd chances
Play something that took a very long time for you to get into

I never liked Jethro Tull growing up. Really I never gave them a real chance. Peer pressure of what's cool or not influenced me I'm ashamed to say (but I was a kid, so, normal I guess) and flute based rock was not cool. But when I embarked on a career change and decided to go to grad school, my advisor shared my love of prog rock and he convinced me I was wrong about Tull. He burned me this on CD and after a few listens I went from skeptic to being convinced it was genius. It really did take a few listens for the music to have the desired effect. It was an album that required active listening and thinking through it. Passive listens didn't cut it. And I love that quality. It's why I don't love so many newer artists (some absolutely still do this today, but it's rare that they get big. Gotta search them out). I want complexity and I found it in A Passion Play. Also this album cover is brilliant.

16274878572737781351435264790071.jpg

Day 28: Diamond Dogs
Play something ruff

Times New Viking - Rip It Off
19F360E2-1BFA-48BD-B461-90B1C0FDEDCF.jpeg

I took “ruff” to mean Lo-Fi so I chose probably the most purposely Lo-Fi record I own. The best part is that it’s pressed at RTI on 180g wax so it’s a Hi-Fi “Lo-Fi” album. The whole album sounds like it’s coming out of blown PC speakers played at full blast from the bottom of murky pond.

July 27 - Scotch Whisky Day
Play something connected to Scotland

Three great Scottish bands formed in 2003 that I've seen several times over the years: The Twilight Sad, We Were Promised Jetpacks, and Frightened Rabbit. I've seen We Were Promised Jetpacks the most and absolutely love their live shows. The Twilight Sad I like equally live and studio. And Frightened Rabbit I only saw twice. Once was great, once was pretty uninspired. Very sad I'll never get the chance for a third. But I played the studio albums until I wore them out. Finally was able to get a new copy of Winter of Mixed Drinks a few months ago.

20210728_140011.jpg

Play something ruff

This is a six degrees of Kevin Bacon kind of connection, but it was fun (and also a ruff/rough trip down memory lane) so I'm sticking with it.

Bowie's Diamond Dogs was engineered by Keith Harwood, who died when he fell asleep at the wheel and hit a tree, and two weeks later Marc Bolan got in a car accident that took his life at the same location, and this album is a tribute album to him that was in my stack of things I wanted to listen to again. So I'm all caught up today with AngelHeaded Hipster: The Songs of Marc Bolan & T. Rex.

20210728_144218.jpg

Play something ruff

This is a six degrees of Kevin Bacon kind of connection, but it was fun (and also a ruff/rough trip down memory lane) so I'm sticking with it.

Bowie's Diamond Dogs was engineered by Keith Harwood, who died when he fell asleep at the wheel and hit a tree, and two weeks later Marc Bolan got in a car accident that took his life at the same location, and this album is a tribute album to him that was in my stack of things I wanted to listen to again. So I'm all caught up today with AngelHeaded Hipster: The Songs of Marc Bolan & T. Rex.

View attachment 106971
I love the Nick Cave song on here

July 26 - 2nd chances

I wasn't really into a lot of scores to movies until about 12 years ago. I had soundtracks to movies, but mostly of the Various Artist variety...Pump Up The Volume OST being my first CD ever. At some point in the late 80's/early 90's I bought the score to A Nightmare On Elm Street on cassette. I remember listening to that a lot at home, but it didn't really get me into the genre.

It wasn't until I found a used copy of this one about 12 years ago that got me hooked on movie scores....maybe it was the disco theme of F13 Part 3. After the purchase of this, my collection of movie scores grew exponentially .

Harry Manfredini ‎– Friday The 13th, Part I, II, & III (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
Gramavision ‎– GR 1030, 1982

Cut at Masterdisk

PNtgmm.jpg

ZcbtWa.jpg

Last edited:
Back