July 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge: Summer Breeze Makes Me Feel Fine

July 24 - Speaking of covers...
Play a record with a great cover song on it.

Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio "I Told You So" (2021 Colemine Records)
An organ-driven cover of Careless Whisper has no right being this awesome. The original is timeless but the greasiness of this cover takes it to a completely new place. This is the contemporary heir to Jimmy Smith's cover of Let's Stay Together.

IMG_1632.JPG

Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio "I Told You So" (2021 Colemine Records)
An organ-driven cover of Careless Whisper has no right being this awesome. The original is timeless but the greasiness of this cover takes it to a completely new place. This is the contemporary heir to Jimmy Smith's cover of Let's Stay Together.

View attachment 106597
Such a great homage to Blue Note and their covers

This cover reminds me of another cover record, Luna’s Close Cover Before Striking
a1881184151_5.jpg

Such a great homage to Blue Note and their covers

Also, that cover photo is great. I don't know what exactly Delvon is doing there, but that's part of the charm. Is he air boxing? Strutting? Love the way the tunnel frames him. And the dark streaks of moss/water stains on the bricks gives it a fantastic texture.

Also, that cover photo is great. I don't know what exactly Delvon is doing there, but that's part of the charm. Is he air boxing? Strutting? Love the way the tunnel frames him. And the dark streaks of moss/water stains on the bricks gives it a fantastic texture.

Every single thing about that album and package are fantastic.

Given I am seeing Lucy Dachs tonight maybe I should’ve busted out 2019 for her Springsteen cover, but I went with another cover expert.

Two top flight covers on this one.

First is a cover of Hank Williams’ Cold Cold Heart. She has to have been doing this one for 20 years now so it is very well practiced. On Come Away With Me it was a hint to how she’d consistently cover country legends for the next two decades, on here it’s the opener the blends in perfectly with her newer work.

She covers with a cover too that must’ve been new to her. This was recorded shortly after Chris Cornell’s death and is a beautiful and perfect cover of Black Hole Sun. theraputic even…she did this five days after…damn.

Norah Jones - Til We Meet Again

(photo placeholder)

Day 24: Speaking of covers...

Nirvana - MTV Unplugged In New York
5C7C21D2-511B-4BBE-822E-DCE43485070E.jpeg
This album contains several great covers; Bowie, The Vaselines, Leadbelly (kinda), and 3(!) songs written by the Meat Puppets. I was somewhat familiar with David Bowie at the time unplugged aired on MTV but hadn’t yet really given his catalog much of a listen, The Meat Puppets I only knew about their track “Backwater” that received a decent push from MTV upon its release, and had no clue about The Vaselines or who Leadbelly was. Nirvana and more specifically Kurt Cobain, was the gateway for me to discovering many underground bands through my formative years. I’d read that Kurt loved a band or would see a photo where he wore a band’s T-Shirt or that Nirvana was touring with a specific band or covered one of their songs; these acts were the ultimate seal of approval for a 13 year old kid growing up in rural Illinois. While I didn’t always immediately love all of the bands they promoted initially (my young ears had not yet developed the proper aural palate to fully appreciate many of the suggestions) Many of his recommendations would grow into some of my all time favorite artists.

Last edited:
Day 24: Speaking of covers...

Nirvana - MTV Unplugged In New York
View attachment 106611
This album contains several great covers; Bowie, The Vaselines, Leadbelly (kinda), and 3(!) songs written by the Meat Puppets. I was somewhat familiar with David Bowie at the time unplugged aired on MTV but hadn’t yet really given his catalog much of a listen, The Meat Puppets I only knew about their track “Backwater” that received a decent push from MTV upon its release, and had no clue about The Vaselines or who Leadbelly was. Nirvana and more specifically Kurt Cobain, was the gateway for me to discovering many underground bands through my formative years. I’d read that Kurt loved a band or would see a photo where he wore a band’s T-Shirt or that Nirvana was touring with a specific band or covered one of their songs; these acts were the ultimate seal of approval for a 13 year old kid growing up in rural Illinois. While I didn’t always immediately love all of the bands they promoted initially (my young ears had not yet developed the proper aural palate to fully appreciate many of the suggestions) Many of his recommendations would grow into some of my all time favorite artists.

This is SO relatable.

Speaking of covers...

Angélique Kidjo - Remain In Light
20210724_125212.jpg

This is easily my favourite full album cover I've yet to discover (it knocked The Silver Hearts Play Rain Dogs out of top spot - an album I would love to see get a vinyl release, but I doubt will ever happen.)

I absolutely love Angélique Kidjo, and honestly didn't realize this was a Talking Heads cover album at first. I was a couple songs into streaming it before I looked up any information. I love the idea of an African musician covering their African music influenced album and really owning it. I find her version of "Listening Wind" to be particularly devastating in all the right ways.

*Today's selection was partly inspired by hearing the absolute most horrendous version of "Once in a Lifetime" imaginable while out grocery shopping immediately preceding this spin.

Speaking of covers...

Angélique Kidjo - Remain In Light
View attachment 106618

This is easily my favourite full album cover I've yet to discover (it knocked The Silver Hearts Play Rain Dogs out of top spot - an album I would love to see get a vinyl release, but I doubt will ever happen.)

I absolutely love Angélique Kidjo, and honestly didn't realize this was a Talking Heads cover album at first. I was a couple songs into streaming it before I looked up any information. I love the idea of an African musician covering their African music influenced album and really owning it. I find her version of "Listening Wind" to be particularly devastating in all the right ways.

*Today's selection was partly inspired by hearing the absolute most horrendous version of "Once in a Lifetime" imaginable while out grocery shopping immediately preceding this spin.

I almost picked this album for today's theme before Bowie steered me in a different direction.
It's so freaking good.

Back