July 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge: Summer Breeze Makes Me Feel Fine

July 22 - Today’s Tom Sawyer/He gets high on you - Play something that makes you want to play air guitar/drums/key-tar

I had a good one for this that I really want to save for a few days from now (SPOILER ALERT) and nothing else in my stack really matches this in my to play list, so it's time to pull one out of the cubes.

I think in the longer term I'll probably want to swap out this comp for a good copy of Hot Rocks but there two reasons I haven't. First, this was a nice inexpensive Target clearance pickup. Second, it has Tumbling Dice, which is a guaranteed guitar and internal rhythm song for me.

Can one Air Jagger. Let’s find out.

So, here goes

HONK - The Rolling Stones

image.jpg

Last edited:
July 22 - Today’s Tom Sawyer/He gets high on you - Play something that makes you want to play air guitar/drums/key-tar

I had a good one for this that I really want to save for a few days from now (SPOILER ALERT) and nothing else in my stack really matches this in my to play list, so it's time to pull one out of the cubes.

I think in the longer term I'll probably want to swap out this comp for a good copy of Hot Rocks but there two reasons I haven't. First, this was a nice inexpensive Target clearance pickup. Second, it has Tumbling Dice, which is a guaranteed keytar and internal rhythm song for me.

Can one Air Jagger. Let’s find out.

So, here goes

HONK - The Rolling Stones

View attachment 106423
Pick up Exile On Main St. AND Hot Rocks. Problem solved!

July 20 - The moon landing was fake

Gong is pretty much the first band I think of when "spacey" is mentioned.

Gong ‎– I See You
Kscope ‎– KSCOPE1046, 2014/2019

Cut by MK at Optimal
Pressed at Optimal

Dkm4RY.jpg

siBWFX.jpg

Day 22: Today’s Tom Sawyer/He gets high on you
Play something that makes you want to play air guitar/drums/key-tar

Funkadelic - Maggot Brain
View attachment 106422
George Clinton (Happy Birthday, BTW) supposedly told Guitarist, Eddie Hazel to play his epic solo during “Maggot Brain” as if someone had told him that is mother had died. Hazel didn’t disappoint.

Edit: This video can only be viewed directly on YouTube for some reason but it features a live performance from 1983 of Eddie Hazel absolutely face melting guitar work. Worth a look for sure…though seriously, your face might melt off.

I've heard some versions, but wow, that one was among the best. And Dennis Chambers on drums, one of my very faves.

July 21 - Lollapalooza (Vancouver 1992)

Lollapalooza (Saint Louis 1993)

Went more for Primus, Rage Against The Machine and Alice In Chains, but Tool was on the 2nd stage (they moved to the main stage later in the tour)

Undertow had just come out 3 months before, and while I had it and Opiate, seeing/hearing them live made me like the band a lot more...even if they only played a handful of songs.

This is the only time I've seen Tool live...and I really wasn't too close.

I have the original 2005 release of this one too, but this later reissue cut by Chris Bellman sounds much better.

It doesn't sound bad for being a picture disc, but I think it would sound better if it wasn't.

Tool ‎– Lateralus
Volcano ‎– 61422-31160-1 LP, 2001/~2011

Cut by Chris Bellman

Tk6RjZ.jpg

1tEFck.jpg

July 22 - Today’s Tom Sawyer/He gets high on you
Play something that makes you want to play air guitar/drums/key-tar

From the first notes I heard, I’ve been air-guitaring Jimmy Page. Yes, I’m a drummer, so of course I‘ve air-drummed Bonham, and air-bassed JPJ in The Lemon Song. But something about great guitar playing; riffs, rhythms or solos, has always moved me.

20210722_183701.jpg

48735A50-504F-42DD-A152-45D3553022D5.jpeg

July 21 - Lollapalooza (Vancouver 1992)
Play a band that you love seeing play live

St. Vincent - Actor

St. Vincent is one of the most exciting and interesting artists making music today IMO. I’ve seen her perform three times and will be seeing her a fourth time later this year. Every show has been unique and different and I can’t wait to hear her perform material off her newest album.

CD658147-2853-4969-BB6E-472CC8F15D31.jpeg

July 23 - Amazing cover. - Play a record with great artwork (bonus points if it is not Peter Seville, Reid Miles or Vaughan Oliver designed)

Again none of the "to-plays" really align today either, so back to the cubes (the next two days I do have choices!).

Last time I painstakingly hunted out a great album cover, this time I just went with the first great cover that came to mind. Given the hubbub from folks over the new album cover and the super basic first album cover, this one really stands out for the artistic qualities. I have a feeling there is a subsection of folks where this will be a print on their walls for years. Just gorgeously done and perfectly fits the album.

This also aligns well with her Day Drinking with Seth Meyers appearance so she probably felt the human equivalent of this.

Bonus content: Inner Gatefold Photographic Art!

Lorde - Melodrama (Deluxe - though I'm not sure it matters for the art)

PXL_20210723_135716944.jpgPXL_20210723_135608995.jpg

Day 23: Amazing Cover
Play a record with great artwork (bonus points if it is not Peter Seville, Reid Miles or Vaughan Oliver designed)

A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
FE7D51DD-7202-4C8D-9F67-B31E2F81EEFA.jpeg
Hard to argue with this Complex list…

Back