July 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge: Summer Breeze Makes Me Feel Fine

July 21 - Lollapalooza (Vancouver 1992)
Play a band that you'd love seeing play live (minor modification!)

LCD Soundsystem "American Dream" (2017 DFA)

I've never seen LCD Soundsystem live. But I must. I don't see many live shows that much anymore, even before the pandemic. I've only been to a handful of shows since my daughter was born and we moved out of Montreal. And I also don't often see bands play more than once (I can't think of any artists other than the Tragically Hip and Sharon Jones I've seen multiple times, but neither of those is possible anymore). So I'll go with a band I love that I need to make it out to see. I'm still kicking myself for missing them at the Ottawa Blues Fest three years ago. Awesome thing is my daughter loves music and is now old enough to take to most shows, so it should be easier to make it out again soon.

IMG_1618.JPG

July 21 - Lollapalooza (Vancouver 1992) - Play a band that you love seeing play live

The War and Treaty
We saw them back in November of 2018, Courtney Marie Andrews opened. They were fantastic, as was Courtney. She joined them at the end for a song. (picture below)

Looking forward to seeing them again sometime; such a powerful, moving show.

366F8499-C77B-4E3A-A1AD-8BAFF4C95A1C.jpeg20181107_220724.jpg

July 17 - Montreal Olympics opening ceremonies in 1976
Play something competitive

Middle Kids - Today We're The Greatest

What's more competitive that being the greatest?

20210319_113749-jpg.92564

July 22 - Today’s Tom Sawyer/He gets high on you
Play something that makes you want to play air guitar/drums/key-tar

This song in general and this performance by Pete in particular sums it all up...

The circumstance of this performance - Jeff Stein wanted some new live footage for his Who documentary film. They ran thru a few songs and it wasn't what he wanted. He pulled Pete aside and told him maybe the punk scene was right - The Who were a bunch of washed up, boring old farts. This lit a fire. The part where Pete is strutting around with his "thumbs in his suspenders" is being directed at Jeff Stein to the side of the stage. Pete's way of saying fuck you.

This is the last time Keith Moon played live with The Who.

The Who - The Kids Are Alright Motion Picture Soundtrack

20210721_235612.jpg

Last edited:
The moon landing was fake

The Heliocentrics & Melvin Van Peebles - The Last Transmission
20210721_205645.jpg

I mostly picked this up as an add-on to another order because I was already paying shipping and Shabaka Hutchings plays on it. I'm glad I did, it's a wildly entertaining celestial adventure! The marriage of the music to Melvin's narration of transformation from a corporeal to a cloud-based lifeform is as sublime as it is surreal. It's a very cool record that gets a lot more spins than I expected it would around here.

July 18 - Sunday chillout record

Well that was a shit week of work...and it was only 3 nights. Covid is creeping back up thanks to all those unvaccinated....unvaccinated meth users to be precise.

RIP - Harold Budd passed away on December 8, 2020, due to complications from COVID-19.

Harold Budd ‎– The Pavilion Of Dreams
Obscure ‎– OBS 10, 1978

UK pressing

DBNqkj.jpg

lDWmag.jpg

Covid is creeping back up thanks to all those unvaccinated....unvaccinated meth users to be precise.

Oh...and they still deny having Covid, despite gasping for air and the positive test. The population that is getting hospitalized now are the covid-deniers/Trumpers/Q-Anon supporters...which makes it hard to care for them.

Lollapalooza (Vancouver 1992)

Wax Mannequin - Have A New Name
20210721_213803.jpg

Outside any musicians I have toured extensively with, Wax Mannequin is easily in my top two most-watched artists. With the exception of the last two years I have typically seen him at least 2 or 3 times a year since 2006. I've even shared stages with him in at least three provinces and still very consistently prioritize seeing him over 90% of any other artists sharing a festival line-up with him. His sets can be quite unpredictable and, while I'm sure I've missed some really cool new musical experiences I would've loved, I've always walked away from Wax's sets feeling like I've made a good life choice!

*I didn't realize until I was grabbing this off the shelf just how similar/complimentary the covers of my last two selections are. That was unplanned, but very cool!

July 22 - Today’s Tom Sawyer/He gets high on you

This song in general and this performance by Pete in particular sums it all up...

The circumstance of this performance - Jeff Stein wanted some new live footage for his Who documentary film. They ran thru a few songs and it wasn't what he wanted. He pulled Pete aside and told him maybe the punk scene was right - The Who were a bunch of washed up, boring old farts. This lit a fire. The part where Pete is strutting around with his "thumbs in his suspenders" is being directed at Jeff Stein to the side of the stage. Pete's way of saying fuck you.

This is the last time Keith Moon played live with The Who.

The Who - The Kids Are Alright Motion Picture Soundtrack

View attachment 106385

Such a great record and movie

July 19 - Manic Monday

I usually listen to the Cardinals baseball game on my way in, but if I've already had a difficult night and I'm going back in for night 2 or 3, I'll listen to whatever is on SiriusXM Turbo - they play hard rock from the '90s & 2000.

Sometimes it's crap, but I usually hear something that I can get into.

I don't hear a lot of Clutch on Turbo...and that is unfortunate...but I've had this record sitting here for about a week and want to spin it.

Clutch ‎– Blast Tyrant
Weathermaker Music ‎– WM126, 2004/2021

First release in the Clutch Collector’s Series - Small Batch Pressing
Limited/Numbered/Signed insert - #3070/5000

RE5C9x.jpg

yztLYe.jpg

3A0q81.jpg

Day 22: Today’s Tom Sawyer/He gets high on you

Funkadelic - Maggot Brain
80625B7E-23B7-4922-A085-496799392BD5.jpeg
George Clinton (Happy Birthday, BTW) supposedly told Guitarist, Eddie Hazel to play his epic solo during “Maggot Brain” as if someone had told him that is mother had died. Hazel didn’t disappoint.

Edit: This video can only be viewed directly on YouTube for some reason but it features a live performance from 1983 of Eddie Hazel absolutely face melting guitar work. Worth a look for sure…though seriously, your face might melt off.

Last edited:
Back