July 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge: Summer Breeze Makes Me Feel Fine

Reelin’ in the years

Osibisa - Superfly T.N.T.

20210719_094234.jpg

Up until very recently I had no idea this movie or soundtrack existed! I'm glad I know the soundtrack exists now though. Outside their first two albums which I have known for years, this one has been the best part of my Osibisa deep dive over the past six months.

Got a couple catchups below but I played a ton this record so I made sure to get some that fit

July 17 - Montreal Olympics opening ceremonies in 1976
Play something competitive

So, this one has a been a long term want and part of it is the combative element to it. They are not a one-hit wonder but, to me, a one-album wonder as none of their later output really ever hit my ears right. But this album is full of pop gold and a lot of it based on the interplay between Katie White and not just her perceived, unseen targets but even Jules De Martino's impending, deep, drum and bass sounds against her higher pitched, British-posh in spots sound.

Really great energy album that sounds great on vinyl.

The Ting Tings - We Started Nothing

July 18 - Sunday chillout record

I was SUPER excited to also find this one recently below retail due to some ringwear damage on it. Like...fifteen years ago this one held residence on on my iPod and phone as one of my favorite go-tos for a chillout song. I almost threw this one in the definitive pressings thread too because they did the production right on it. I don't think it had the same team behind it as the original pressing, but this cost me way less and still sounds exceptional: 45 RPM, top tier vocalists/legends all over the place, with Ray running a clinic on their shared or even the featured artist's songs. I even listened to the whole Van Morrison song!

Ray Charles - Genius Loves Company (10th Anniversary Edition

July 19 - Manic Monday

Play something to get you pumped up for the week

Did I really use the Ting Tings already? Ugh. Well, this one made my Top 50 albums list and I think took down the "outstanding acqusitions" from that list to 1, and Diane Young and Unbelievers are both great pump up songs so

Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City

July 20 - The moon landing was fake

Play something spacey or makes you think of sci-fi

Undeniably one of my coolest thrift store pickups and why I love digging in those bins. I honestly just blind bought this one for three dollars because, I dunno, it seemed like it might be my jam. Threw it on and it couldn't fit this theme better. I've also never seen anything by him or like it in any other dive I did, so it may as well have been from out of space. If you like Daft Punk or, like, techno movie scores, throw this one on Spotify

Luke Slater - Freek Funk

PXL_20210720_150902724.jpg

Moby's a Dick

Kid Koala - 12 bit Blues
20210720_114709.jpg

My wife picked this up for me for Father's Day last year. It was one of my top 3 white whales at the time but I couldn't justify the price being asked even though I really wanted it. But she decided I'm worth it. (Meanwhile, I'd spent what I refused to pay for myself on her own white whale for her birthday a couple of weeks later!)

I already loved this album so much, but the packaging on this made me fall for it even more so.

Moby's a Dick

Kid Koala - 12 bit Blues

My wife picked this up for me for Father's Day last year. It was one of my top 3 white whales at the time but I couldn't justify the price being asked even though I really wanted it. But she decided I'm worth it. (Meanwhile, I'd spent what I refused to pay for myself on her own white whale for her birthday a couple of weeks later!)

I already loved this album so much, but the packaging on this made me fall for it even more so.
The packaging on that is great.

Montreal Olympics opening ceremonies in 1976

Babe Ruth - Stealin' Home
20210720_133757.jpg

"Winner Take All"

Not the finest album by any means but Babe Ruth was one of my first opportunities to stretch completionist tendencies when I found four of their first five albums in the same bargain bin shortly after getting my first player. I do think their first three albums are very worthwhile, while this one and Kid's Stuff are nowhere near as essential.

Sunday chillout record

Immanuel Wilkins - Omega
20210720_135840.jpg

This one is actually a first spin, as it arrived just before the wife's and my road trip. I streamed it quite a bit before this, though. Now it's the perfect record to spin while the wife and kiddo are both napping upstairs.

Day 18: Sunday Chillout Record

The KLF - Chill Out

View attachment 106235
The title says it all.

8GJQlsf.gif

Back