Joyful Noise VIPS / JNR-100

The box is cool looking, but I really wish they'd at least required that Thor build something that wouldn't fall apart in shipping. Mine showed up and was completely broken apart, and I'm hearing that's a common occurrence...it's a bummer because I was hoping to sell the box set to partially recoup my JNR100 fees, but that'll be tough now

It looks very very fragile. Given how nice some of the wood boxes from JN have been in the past I was expecting something a bit better built. This is so poorly put together that the (lack of) craftsmanship is a statement to the artistic design. And it isn’t self standing yet it doesn’t fit in a std ikea cube. Hard to store.

I’m pretty divided on this one. Still have not listened to any of the music so in the end it as always it will come down to the music.

It looks very very fragile. Given how nice some of the wood boxes from JN have been in the past I was expecting something a bit better built. This is so poorly put together that the (lack of) craftsmanship is a statement to the artistic design. And it isn’t self standing yet it doesn’t fit in a std ikea cube. Hard to store.

I’m pretty divided on this one. Still have not listened to any of the music so in the end it as always it will come down to the music.

They had Thor record a video on how to glue the box back together...that's how fragile they are lol. Makes me wish I lived in Austin so I could've had a chance at getting it hand delivered by Thor himself instead of leaving it up to USPS

They had Thor record a video on how to glue the box back together...that's how fragile they are lol. Makes me wish I lived in Austin so I could've had a chance at getting it hand delivered by Thor himself instead of leaving it up to USPS

Probably should have had someone at JN approve a finished sample box b4 turning Thor loose. There had to have been some interesting discussions as they were putting vinyl into the “Unique artisanal hand-made wooden screen-printed....” boxes.

Last edited:
Probably should have had someone at JN approve a finished sample box b4 turning Thor loose. There had to have been some interesting discussions as they were putting vinyl into the “Unique artisanal hand-made wooden screen-printed....” boxes.

Thor: "Yeah so, I was pretty drunk doing this and sliced my hand open real bad..."
JNR: "You guys, some of the boxes even have Thor's blood on them!! However, on advice of counsel, we've decided that we can no longer call them 'boxes'; they're now 'art pieces'"

Can anyone post pictures that convey what these boxes are? Is it loose pieces of cardboard/particle board/composite wood glued into a box shape?

Here's Thor's video.

That's kind of wild. If it was advertised as a funky, raw handmade box by a musician you love, that seems like it could be kind of cool. I'd be a little confused if I was expecting a normal, professional box like JNR usually produces though. Thanks for sharing the link.

That's kind of wild. If it was advertised as a funky, raw handmade box by a musician you love, that seems like it could be kind of cool. I'd be a little confused if I was expecting a normal, professional box like JNR usually produces though. Thanks for sharing the link.

Yeah, this is the first JNR box set that I've purchased, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I think the idea of the box is pretty cool, but the execution maybe a little lacking. My box is fairly sturdy and arrived intact, though.

I have not dived into the music yet, I should get to it soon. Whether intentional or not, it's pretty cool that they were able to get a GZ stamping runout code to have "666" in it. The other messages in the runouts are neat. There's also a booklet with some stories and drawings that are nice.

I started the discogs entry and there are a ton of collaborators on these records, so if any of you feel up to it, please add them to the ol 'cogs :)

Can anyone post pictures that convey what these boxes are? Is it loose pieces of cardboard/particle board/composite wood glued into a box shape?

I am no expert on wood products but I think the side panels are usually sold as hardboard. Basically a cheap wood fiber panel board sold in 4x8 sheets for cabinet bottoms and backing boards. The three spacers appear to be old scraps of knotty pine wood ripped down that Thor must have had laying around from a salvage job. No fancy cabinet work here. Just very loose butt joints, an air nailer, and a bit of wood glue (maybe).

97A6BFDE-364B-41DE-8AE3-600C3DDC7840.jpeg

Euphorically you might call the box an artistic “shabby chic” but I’m not sure this is even up that standard of craftsmanship.

Last edited:
I am no expert on wood products but I think the side panels are usually sold as hardboard. Basically a cheap wood fiber panel board sold in 4x8 sheets for cabinet bottoms and backing boards. The three spacers appear to be old scraps of knotty pine wood ripped down that Thor must have had laying around from a salvage job. No fancy cabinet work here. Just very loose butt joints, an air nailer, and a bit of wood glue (maybe).

Mine was so lacking in proper (type of?) glue that I couldn't even lift it out of the shipping box without tightly pressing against the front and back panels to hold it all together. While I'm happy with the project as a whole, this is one aspect that required a bit more planning and effort in the execution, and the YouTube video he did about it just made me angry - why didn't you use the correct wood glue from the start?!

Mine was so lacking in proper (type of?) glue that I couldn't even lift it out of the shipping box without tightly pressing against the front and back panels to hold it all together. While I'm happy with the project as a whole, this is one aspect that required a bit more planning and effort in the execution, and the YouTube video he did about it just made me angry - why didn't you use the correct wood glue from the start?!

Yes. You can see from my pic that the top wood strip is ripped crooked. It is about an 1/8 too narrow on the corner pictured. This has pulled the nail through and left a gap. Another has a spot where a knot fell out. And then there are those mismatched butt joints. Looks more like a child’s 4H project to be honest. I am going to toss it back in the shipping box and store in a back closet. I’ll keep the records together in the IKEA.

Edit: Putting my my box in long term storage. Thought I would grab another pic of one the artistic highlights for memorial....the air nail must have hit the knot and caused the nail to come out the side. No problem. Just clipped the nail off a bit. Still sticks out enough it could scratch my fine IKEA furniture finish. :)

79E9C06B-D0ED-442A-B866-F2969FD13AD7.jpeg

Last edited:
Kishi has a live 45 for charity:

Hey, friends! Got a big move coming up pretty quick (as long as our mortgage clears), so I'm shedding some vinyl weight. Have several JNR exclusives I'm willing to part with, including the complete 2018 single series in the limited box (much sturdier than that Thor box seems to be). They are all completely unplayed, and the box is #169.

Also have several 2017 singles and 2018 White Label releases if anyone's missing any/curious.

Attachments

• 20200307_112846.jpg
    20200307_112846.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 7
Good news: Deerhoof will be providing the soundtrack to the apocalypse!

The band's new album, Future Teenage Cave Artists, is borne of self-isolation and deprivation. It's about resilience and the persistence of hope in a future beyond any reasonable justification for it.

It's a strange world we find ourselves in today, and it's clear that Deerhoof has been considering these apocalyptic possibilities and societal collapses for a long while... Deerhoof always seems to be ahead of the curve. We encourage you to read the full album synopsis below.

The album will be announced publicly tomorrow (and released May 29), but VIPs can now purchase early and stream the new album in its entirety.

1585079188468.png

Back