Joyful Noise VIPS / JNR-100

It's official; JNR has signed the mysterious intergalactic trio known as Magic Sword!

Armed with a musical and visual aesthetic that has its roots unabashedly buried deep in the golden era of 70s and 80s fantasy and sci-fi, this band is steeped in fascinating lore... a tale of good and evil, told through an ever-expanding graphic novel story and accompanying synth-heavy soundtrack albums. The band members are known only as "The Keeper", "The Seer", and "The Weaver" (aka the "Three Immortals"). Their tale is chronicled in comic books (and even occasionally on social media) by "The Harbinger".

This is an intrepid project for the nerdiest of the music nerds, and I hope that you'll enjoy it as much as we do.

The new 30-minute EP is called Awakening, and it's due out Oct 25, with a full-length coming next year. The VIP edition of Awakening is limited to 350 hand-numbered copies on pink and black "galaxy" vinyl. In addition, you'll get to learn all about their strange universe in the amazing comic book that accompanies the vinyl.

VIPs can stream the entire EP for the next 20 hours or so, before we announce to the general public.

1566933322382.png

It's official; JNR has signed the mysterious intergalactic trio known as Magic Sword!

Armed with a musical and visual aesthetic that has its roots unabashedly buried deep in the golden era of 70s and 80s fantasy and sci-fi, this band is steeped in fascinating lore... a tale of good and evil, told through an ever-expanding graphic novel story and accompanying synth-heavy soundtrack albums. The band members are known only as "The Keeper", "The Seer", and "The Weaver" (aka the "Three Immortals"). Their tale is chronicled in comic books (and even occasionally on social media) by "The Harbinger".

This is an intrepid project for the nerdiest of the music nerds, and I hope that you'll enjoy it as much as we do.

The new 30-minute EP is called Awakening, and it's due out Oct 25, with a full-length coming next year. The VIP edition of Awakening is limited to 350 hand-numbered copies on pink and black "galaxy" vinyl. In addition, you'll get to learn all about their strange universe in the amazing comic book that accompanies the vinyl.

VIPs can stream the entire EP for the next 20 hours or so, before we announce to the general public.

View attachment 15434

This album cover is serving middle-school-D&D-in-my-parents'-garage realness

View attachment 15434
So pretty. Usually a fan of this kind of retrowave and happy to see JNR doing this sort of stuff but this is a little heavy on the cringe for me.

So pretty. Usually a fan of this kind of retrowave and happy to see JNR doing this sort of stuff but this is a little heavy on the cringe for me.

JNR sent out the demo to the JNR100 folks a couple of months back before they signed the band, and they said our reactions were very mixed...we either loved it or HATED it.

FWIW I skewed more towards the latter, but I'm hoping some more time with it can help me appreciate it a little more.

Yikes. That new Why? album. I used to instabuy tickets whenever they came through LA but their last 3 albums (and EP) have killed any interest in standing and watching them play 15-20 songs. 😔

Yikes. That new Why? album. I used to instabuy tickets whenever they came through LA but their last 3 albums (and EP) have killed any interest in standing and watching them play 15-20 songs. 😔

I like Moh Lhean, but yeah, this new album is tough.

The VIP edition of Omoiyari is available in private stash. I’m trying really hard not to buy one, since I’ve already got the white version.

Looks like they're changing up VIP for next year -

"
Announcing: Early Bird 2020!

Do y'all feel like you're living in the future? Because that's how I feel... My brain can hardly handle the fact that we are about to be living in the year 2020.

Luckily for us, we found a pretty amazing community in this post-apocalyptic wasteland. I'm of course speaking of you VIP members, who support us financially - allowing us to prioritize art over commerce, which in turn allows us to bring adventurous new music into the world... hopefully making the world a slightly less shitty place. Without you we would undoubtedly be working bullshit jobs, and we are endlessly thankful for your support.

And with all that said, we would like to introduce you to our VIP program in 2020! We are diving head first into the fucked-up future, and are changing a few things in the process. We strive to make JNR an ever-improving platform - focused on cultivating the best, most adventurous music out there. And those goals have led us to restructure our VIP model to focus on supporting our artists’ primary visions: their full-length albums.
So, in 2020 we are retiring our monthly 7” Singles Subscription. Don't worry, we will continue releasing one-off 7"s from each series (Cause & Effect, Almost Live, JNR Rarities, and Mystery Singles), but starting in 2020 these 7"s will no longer be a part of a monthly subscription. Singles in these series' will be released to VIPs a la carte, and will be released less frequently. I’m hopeful this move will allow us to better support our artists’ visions, and avoid running the risk of forcing them into a box. I'm excited to create a system where VIPs can easily receive the primary art we are working on at that given time, rather than a one-off single that may only be tangentially related to the label.
2020 Early Bird membership includes all the VIP perks you know and love (free downloads, access to exclusive vinyl, advanced streaming, concert tickets, discounts, and more). In addition, Early Birds will receive monthly shipments of VIP Vinyl. Not just singles, but full-length records. 12 releases in total, each a new proper album from our amazing artists. Each month we'll automatically send you the VIP Edition of our primary upcoming release, before it's in stores. This means you'll be the first to hear these albums on their intended vinyl format, long before they're available in stores and before they're streaming on Spotify or NPR First Listen or some shit...
The way we figure it, this is a LOT more music and art, containing a lot more of the artist's intended content, supplied to you for less than $20 per month.
"

That's a great change. Their proper releases have been much much much better than their 7" (and white label albums too) the last two years or so, IMO. I left some pretty brutally honest feedback to their survey they sent out last year (earlier this year?) about why I canceled my sub and no one reached out so I probably won't roll the dice with a VIP sub again but this is a good change.

That's a great change. Their proper releases have been much much much better than their 7" (and white label albums too) the last two years or so, IMO.

I really like the Rarities series, but aside from that I agree. My singles tend to just gather dust

Looks like they're changing up VIP for next year -

"
Announcing: Early Bird 2020!

Do y'all feel like you're living in the future? Because that's how I feel... My brain can hardly handle the fact that we are about to be living in the year 2020.

Luckily for us, we found a pretty amazing community in this post-apocalyptic wasteland. I'm of course speaking of you VIP members, who support us financially - allowing us to prioritize art over commerce, which in turn allows us to bring adventurous new music into the world... hopefully making the world a slightly less shitty place. Without you we would undoubtedly be working bullshit jobs, and we are endlessly thankful for your support.

And with all that said, we would like to introduce you to our VIP program in 2020! We are diving head first into the fucked-up future, and are changing a few things in the process. We strive to make JNR an ever-improving platform - focused on cultivating the best, most adventurous music out there. And those goals have led us to restructure our VIP model to focus on supporting our artists’ primary visions: their full-length albums.
So, in 2020 we are retiring our monthly 7” Singles Subscription. Don't worry, we will continue releasing one-off 7"s from each series (Cause & Effect, Almost Live, JNR Rarities, and Mystery Singles), but starting in 2020 these 7"s will no longer be a part of a monthly subscription. Singles in these series' will be released to VIPs a la carte, and will be released less frequently. I’m hopeful this move will allow us to better support our artists’ visions, and avoid running the risk of forcing them into a box. I'm excited to create a system where VIPs can easily receive the primary art we are working on at that given time, rather than a one-off single that may only be tangentially related to the label.
2020 Early Bird membership includes all the VIP perks you know and love (free downloads, access to exclusive vinyl, advanced streaming, concert tickets, discounts, and more). In addition, Early Birds will receive monthly shipments of VIP Vinyl. Not just singles, but full-length records. 12 releases in total, each a new proper album from our amazing artists. Each month we'll automatically send you the VIP Edition of our primary upcoming release, before it's in stores. This means you'll be the first to hear these albums on their intended vinyl format, long before they're available in stores and before they're streaming on Spotify or NPR First Listen or some shit...
The way we figure it, this is a LOT more music and art, containing a lot more of the artist's intended content, supplied to you for less than $20 per month.
"

I'll give it a chance. Total of $277 after shipping to the US, for those interested.

1569542774777.png

I find it interesting that they mention 300-500 as the pressing number for the VIP vinyl...there are 250 spots for the VIP package, plus there are probably 50-60 JNR-100 members. For a smaller pressing, that pretty much wipes out stock before any other people have a chance to order one.

I find it interesting that they mention 300-500 as the pressing number for the VIP vinyl...there are 250 spots for the VIP package, plus there are probably 50-60 JNR-100 members. For a smaller pressing, that pretty much wipes out stock before any other people have a chance to order one.

Huh, good point. I was planning on sticking with the basic VIP membership since I rarely want all the albums from any label. I wonder if they're waiting to see how many take advantage of the $50 early bird sign-up (if they do it again) so they can gauge the right number. It seems like there weren't a ton of VIP pressings that made it to the public & lasted for very long, so should have a decent estimate already.

Tall Tall Trees - A Wave of Golden Things

If you subscribed to the yearly VIP, this is the first one.

Saw Kishi tonight and was really hoping I'd get to tell TTT how excited I was to hear the new album. Didn't get the chance but oh well. That record looks very pretty!

Back