Joyful Noise VIPS / JNR-100

My JNR 100 box shipped, I have no idea what is in it because I don't have to pay attention to release dates for better or worse

Jonathan said it has Omoiyari, which is what I’m most antsy to get, so that’s all that mattered to me :)

Also, for anyone missing one of his upcoming tour dates, Kishi Bashi mentioned during the show I was at last night that he was coming back to Houston in November...he doesn’t currently have a date advertised for a Houston show so I’m assuming that means a new wave of dates is forthcoming

Jonathan said it has Omoiyari, which is what I’m most antsy to get, so that’s all that mattered to me :)

Also, for anyone missing one of his upcoming tour dates, Kishi Bashi mentioned during the show I was at last night that he was coming back to Houston in November...he doesn’t currently have a date advertised for a Houston show so I’m assuming that means a new wave of dates is forthcoming

Good to know on both fronts, hope Denver is included and I can score some comp'ed tix

Can any JNR VIPs please DM me the Why? release/info that's behind the VIP paywall? I canceled my VIP sub in the beginning of the year so it'd be much appreciated!

Mannnn that Yoni & Geti album is the shit

It's one of my favorite albums that no one seems to know about or remember. It gives me hope that Yoni can crank at least one more Why? record that has that nice balance of simplistic instrumentation and fun, melodic ramblings.

Although I liked his work with Divorcee and Yoni & Geti, every Why? album after Eskimo Snow has been really disappointing to me. I’d have to hear the whole record before I’d buy it.
Given that the vip version would amount to nearly 60$ shipped i will also not buy blind

Just got a shipping notification for the Kishi Bashi - Omoiyari. I went for the Indie white version from Norman Records (shipping was cheaper than from Joyful Noise). I would love to get the VIP version someday. Im not usually one to worry about coloured vinyl but that VIP is stunning.

Just discovered this because, let's face it, that Kishi Bashi record is AOTY. Looks like they're sold out though. Does anyone know how often the VIP with the singles opens up for new members?

Just discovered this because, let's face it, that Kishi Bashi record is AOTY. Looks like they're sold out though. Does anyone know how often the VIP with the singles opens up for new members?
I could be wrong but I think they only show up in the Private Stash which you need to be a member to access.

For all the very justified complaints about other companies, I really wanted to highlight the communication and transparency from JNR regarding the new WHY? album. I know some people get caught up in exclusives (been occasionally guilty of it myself) and pressing #'s, and JNR went out of their way to clear up any possible confusion before the official announcement.

"We are about to announce the new WHY? album to VIPs. And you already discovered it... and purchased it.

But in between the time you purchased it and now, Yoni decided that he wanted 1000 copies of the 3x10" version pressed. Because it's the "real version" in his mind.

You may have noticed that we described the 3x10" version as limited to 500 when you purchased it. But that is no longer true. We are pressing 1000 copies. If you want to cancel because you just can't live with another 500 people being able to experience this version of the album, that's no problem. Just email back and we'll cancel and refund your money.

For those of you who want to keep your order, we have made a discount code for you and only you... you will get $5 off your next purchase from us. Just a little courtesy for this mixup."

JNR can be amazing at customer support and communication. They can also drop the ball. Sometimes they'll do both in the same issue/email thread/conversation. For me, I was unloading a bunch of cash on their releases and subscriptions and occasionally hearing other people's grumblings here and there. Eventually, the grumbling got closer and closer to me until it was coming from my own voice and I learned that I can't personally enjoy the quality of monthly sub they offered me. Better to be a sometimes customer that just buys regular editions when they strike my fancy. I'm glad they were clear about this Why? issue.

New thing at joyful noise. The "artist enabler club" , a subscription focussing on single artist. Initial artist iis Lou barlow. Digital is 5$ a month, physical 20$ billed quaterly.
Greetings all. Today we are unveiling a new idea... We'd like to introduce you to the "Artist Enabler Club", which is being pioneered by the one and only Lou Barlow.

This is an artist-exclusive club, delivering unreleased Lou Barlow music to you each month - available in digital, or super limited physical releases spread across a variety of formats (hand-made lathe-cut 7" records, cassettes, flexis, etc.).

Lou has lined up some incredibly cool stuff, like super rare 4-track recordings from the vaults, demos and rarities featuring Dale Crover, along with a bevy of brand new songs recorded exclusively for the Club. These songs will not be released anywhere else.

Last edited:
What Lou has to say about it
pf-be759d73-6166-4d97-bf38-2a6dcc70c09c--page1_800x1107.png

pf-d528ca4d-0f40-4206-885e-498ab3907d87--page2_800x1068.png

pf-3b5f2f37-3528-4cad-a728-599ed739cc11--page3_800x559.png

And finally the label reasoning, which i find a good read
Why are we doing this club?

This “Artist Enabler” idea came about as a way to support our artists within a changing music industry. With streaming now becoming the main revenue source for the music industry as a whole, we have become painfully aware that the streaming model only works for a particular type of artist...

We are worried that the move toward the streaming economy is going to stifle some of the truly inventive artists in the world. This is due to the fact that “success” in the streaming space is largely predicated on appealing to the masses. Artists need to receive tens of thousands of streams before the money starts adding up... And while some of our artists do well on the streaming platforms (Kishi Bashi for instance has over 1 million monthly Spotify listeners at the moment), there are a large number of hugely important artists who simply don’t appeal to the masses on this level (for example, the Melvins, who have only 300k monthly listeners). We felt the need to do something to prop up the innovator-artists whose work is not widely accepted by the casual music listener.

The Artist Enabler Club is meant to serve those artists, to be a platform for them to offer their fans the coolest shit possible. The artist gets the lion’s share of the money (95% of digital, 50% of physical). We are hoping this will be a platform to help some of our most influential artists receive some regular income on par with what some of our more popular artists are making from streaming services.

I think Lou is a perfect artist to guinea pig this idea, and we're very excited that he's up for the challenge... If this experiment works out, we hope to roll out Artist Enabler Clubs for other artists in 2020.

- Karl Hofstetter
Curator & Founder, Joyful Noise Recordings

Joyful noise is having a moving sale

Back