Joyful Noise VIPS / JNR-100

6796827F-9E03-4772-A4D2-3F85323E9D80.jpeg

3xLP Limited Edition of 500 copies, pressed to Blue, Green and Red 12" Vinyl, packaged in deluxe triple gatefold jackets.

Pre-order includes an instant download of Tautology I, the first of three albums to be released throughout the year. Please note: this is a long physical pre-order with vinyl set to release September 18, 2020.

Note: VIP Edition but NOT part of Early Bird. “As a VIP you can now stream the first album 'Tautology I' (out everywhere May 1st) until Wednesday morning 10 AM EST

I love Kishi, but hopefully this gets a proper release because I can not justify that kind of expenditure currently.

Yeah, it's understandably tough when everyone is asking for help & a lot of individuals need their own help. I appreciate that he came up with a novel way to fundraise for the artists & crew who make up the bulk of their income from touring.

I'm not sure how long it'll stay up, but at least everyone can still watch & listen to it for free. I'd bet the interesting tidbits he mentions between songs about origins and time signatures will be cut out of the pressing, too. It's a pretty casual performance, by design, so lathe 7" are about what it deserves in terms of longevity ;)

Last edited:
Anyone else on the Joyful Noise yearly VIP?
I know they delayed a month or so, but I thought we'd get two or more months in one package. I only just received April's record of Kidbug. No Deerhoof (June) or Ohmme (May), yet.

So far I have:
Tall Tall Trees
Swamp Dogg
Magic Sword
Kidbug

Cheers.

Anyone else on the Joyful Noise yearly VIP?
I know they delayed a month or so, but I thought we'd get two or more months in one package. I only just received April's record of Kidbug. No Deerhoof (June) or Ohmme (May), yet.

So far I have:
Tall Tall Trees
Swamp Dogg
Magic Sword
Kidbug

Cheers.

I am monthly VIP. From this year, I have Swamp Dogg and Kidbug. And I'm doing the White Label series. And the Lou Barlow patron thing. And the Kramer Artist in Residence thing. JN is a really interesting label.

I am really digging the Kidbug, which just arrived at my house today.

@Bloodlemons how is the Lou Barlow patron program going? could you share some descriptions of how that experience has been so far? i was on the fence about contributing to that, and might choose to in the future (if there are slots available) for Barlow, and/or for some other artist if they offer another patron program.

@Bloodlemons how is the Lou Barlow patron program going? could you share some descriptions of how that experience has been so far? i was on the fence about contributing to that, and might choose to in the future (if there are slots available) for Barlow, and/or for some other artist if they offer another patron program.

It really depends on how you look at it. It's $60/quarter, so $20/month. For that, you get a nice little care package from Lou every once in a while (the physical objects were slow at the beginning but come with regularity now). There are 12"s, 7"s, a picture disc (!) and several cassettes. Lou hand-writes all his "letters to the fans," unsurprisingly, so the records and tapes, etc., come with a green envelope containing Lou's color-photocopied recollection of the events that led to recording whatever it is that you're holding in your hands. There have been several lengthy e-mail missives as well, with attached files of demos, unreleased tracks, etc. It's definitely a generous outpouring of material.

On one level, $240/year is definitely a lot to be one of Lou Barlow's broadcast pen-pals. However, every time I think about cancelling I don't, because I keep wondering what else he can possibly dig up. I've been a fan of Sebadoh, etc., since high school (say 1992 or so for me) and getting this sort of backstage access to Lou's process is... comforting? It's hard to explain.

I have no idea if you get everything that's already been sent out if you join now. I suspect the answer is probably yes, but JN is not like other labels. I haven't seen any of it pop up in the VIP vault or anything like that.

Thanks for taking a moment to share that, @Bloodlemons ... i'll tuck that enticing info away in the ol' noggin database; it may come in handy in the future as I consider more and more the patron/patreon model as a way to contribute back to (invest in) the arts system that has given me so much enjoyment over the decades.

No No Joy for me, yet. It seems lost in Cincinnati for the past 10 days. I sent an email to Joyful Noise, but they haven't responded. I don't think there's much they can do anyway unless the package is truly lost, then they will hopefully send a replacement. Sent in a "where's my package" inquiry to USPS, we'll see if they can find it.

No No Joy for me, yet. It seems lost in Cincinnati for the past 10 days. I sent an email to Joyful Noise, but they haven't responded. I don't think there's much they can do anyway unless the package is truly lost, then they will hopefully send a replacement. Sent in a "where's my package" inquiry to USPS, we'll see if they can find it.

Yeah I bet it's just another thing being delayed by the USPS and it'll show up eventually. If not, and you can't get a replacement from JNR, lemme know and I might be willing to let go of mine...I haven't listened to it yet because it hasn't been delivered yet, but I don't know anything about No Joy so if they don't do it for me we can work something out.

(This also applies to lots of other JNR releases too, if anyone is looking for anything in particular. I have literally everything they pressed in the past few years, and only a portion of it is stuff I'm likely to spin again)

Yeah I bet it's just another thing being delayed by the USPS and it'll show up eventually. If not, and you can't get a replacement from JNR, lemme know and I might be willing to let go of mine...I haven't listened to it yet because it hasn't been delivered yet, but I don't know anything about No Joy so if they don't do it for me we can work something out.

(This also applies to lots of other JNR releases too, if anyone is looking for anything in particular. I have literally everything they pressed in the past few years, and only a portion of it is stuff I'm likely to spin again)

I feel the same way about many of my JNR releases too. No Joy and Helvetia are two recently that I am not a fan of.

I feel the same way about many of my JNR releases too. No Joy and Helvetia are two recently that I am not a fan of.

I thought Helvetia was Okay, but not my favorite. I've been awful at keeping up with all the stuff they've sent me, though, I still haven't even listened to my El Ten Eleven box

EDIT: In related news, right after posting this, I saw a facebook post form Karl saying that No Joy got an 8.0 from Pitchfork!

Thanks @Heath , that's very kind of you to offer. I am hoping it is just sitting somewhere in the chain and will be found soon. I'll try to be patient and contact JNR again in a week or so, if needed.

Of this year's VIP track, I like Magic Sword, Ohmme, and Swamp Dogg the most.

Cheers!

Back