Jazz

Haven't posted here in a while but felt I'd ought to let you know that Binker Golding is halfway through a majestic live-streamed set (youtube and facebook) from Ronnie Scotts for his new album launch. Sarah Tandy has been killing it on keys - sounds amazing - tune in. Starts again at about 9:30 uk time for the second hlf of the set.

Back on now :)

Alright Jazz Heads, Kind Of Blue question here. I just discovered there's a RSD Mono press of KOB mastered by Ryan Smith for Sony that from what I can tell is supposed to be fantastic... and of course there's also the MOFI stereo. I currently have the MOV 2 LP version which is fine but really not up to par on what I want this to sound like coming out of my speakers. Do any of you have the MOFI and the Mono RKS Sony that could tell me just how close these are. Or should I just forget about it and do what I and everyone on here who knows me KNOWS that I'm gunna do and just buy the MOFI and be done with it?

But seriously I am curious about the Mono version...

Alright Jazz Heads, Kind Of Blue question here. I just discovered there's a RSD Mono press of KOB mastered by Ryan Smith for Sony that from what I can tell is supposed to be fantastic... and of course there's also the MOFI stereo. I currently have the MOV 2 LP version which is fine but really not up to par on what I want this to sound like coming out of my speakers. Do any of you have the MOFI and the Mono RKS Sony that could tell me just how close these are. Or should I just forget about it and do what I and everyone on here who knows me KNOWS that I'm gunna do and just buy the MOFI and be done with it?

I have the RSD mono version and IMHO it sounds fantastic. Haven’t compared to the MOFI version, but you’re likely safe with either.

I’ve got both but have never compared, they are both really good, the Mofi has got a Lot more bottom, especially on the first track. But for 20 bucks or whatever the mono can be had for it’s well worth it., I’ way at the moment so that’s all I got.Also the Mofi is a Mark Wilder remix, the original master is no longer viable or lost.But it’s good to put the mono on an not have to change sides after every song as well.

Last edited:
I’ve got a VG+ copy of the Japanese pressing of In New York and love it. Don’t have any of the other Riversides so definitely interested in the mastering/pressing details of this box.

I'm gonna keep my eye out. It's from Craft and I'm thinking about just emailing to ask. I'll post if I find anything.

I only have the Ryan Smith Mono...it's great, so I haven't bothered chasing the MoFi.

Picked up a copy of Down Beat’s Jazz Record’s Review Vol V. Was it @Selaws who mentioned them? This one is from 1961. Flipped it open to a scathing 2 star review of Blakey’s “At The Jazz Corner of the World Vol 1.” Looking forward to reading more of it though and should be a great resource for finding new jazz records to listen to. It’s also interesting to see how opinions of records change over time.
So after what seems like an eternity of searching for an affordable copy of the downbeat review book, I managed to order not one....but two today!! I rang up a local bookshop and they just happened to have Volumes 5 and 6. They certainly weren't the cheapest books I have ever bought, but I was lucky enough to sell a couple of records last week which covered their cost! Super excited to get them!

So after what seems like an eternity of searching for an affordable copy of the downbeat review book, I managed to order not one....but two today!! I rang up a local bookshop and they just happened to have Volumes 5 and 6. They certainly weren't the cheapest books I have ever bought, but I was lucky enough to sell a couple of records last week which covered their cost! Super excited to get them!
Jealous! Didn’t get a chance to go to Jazz Record Center this weekend but I might give them a call this week too and see. They do appear to be pricey and a bit hard to find. I’m aiming to try to find the hardcover one’s at least which I think are 5/6/7/8. Not sure how many in total there were?

Jealous! Didn’t get a chance to go to Jazz Record Center this weekend but I might give them a call this week too and see. They do appear to be pricey and a bit hard to find. I’m aiming to try to find the hardcover one’s at least which I think are 5/6/7/8. Not sure how many in total there were?
They’re certainly tricky. I have been looking for one since I saw it on Instagram since before last Christmas. I’m guessing it’s even trickier over here in the UK. I believe there are 8 yeah. Personally I’m hoping to find Vol 3 or Vol 4 one day which covers 1959, that’s one of the best years for jazz imo.

Back