Jazz

To @Skalap, @Selaws and others who have bought the new BBE J Jazz Comp, I just had my first spin and am even more blown away than I expected. I don't remember Vol 1 sounding this good. Maybe I need to relisten to Vol 1, because the sound quality was certainly not bad by any means, so maybe I'm underselling it. But they really nailed it in the sound quality department on Vol 2. Only thing that annoys me is that they chose to use paper inner sleeves(n) Although at least the paper wasn't ridiculously static like those Blue Note 80 inner sleeves .

I haven't played it yet. I hope to have a better week next week with the time to listen to my last grabs, starting with this compilation.

There’s been a few of us that have picked up the Elemental music reissues (Bobby Hutcherson - Montara & Big John Patton - Oh Baby!) and while they sound really good, I’ve seen a few people question their connection to Blue Note. Well, I just saw a user comment on a Blue Note Facebook group and looks like they are approved by Blue Note, and Elemental Music is actually set up by a Blue Note Employee.

FD25FCC9-B9C3-4C06-A0C0-C8EA61621C5A.jpeg

There’s been a few of us that have picked up the Elemental music reissues (Bobby Hutcherson - Montara & Big John Patton - Oh Baby!) and while they sound really good, I’ve seen a few people question their connection to Blue Note. Well, I just saw a user comment on a Blue Note Facebook group and looks like they are approved by Blue Note, and Elemental Music is actually set up by a Blue Note Employee.

View attachment 17164

I think I have mentioned it before (although it may still have been on the VMP forum), but Zev Feldman is behind Resonance Records, who release those great archival jazz LPs on RSD.

For those who have Monk's Les Liaisons Dangereuses, is it worth getting the RSD box-set or will the 1 LP release do fine?
I know this is no help whatsoever, so apologies for that, but I often think that Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers Avec Barney Wilen ‎– Les Liaisons Dangereuses 1960 is often overshadowed by the Thelonious Monk album. Blakey actually worked on a separate album at the same time for the films 'extended party scene', which is why they both have the same title. Both had pretty poor initial sales because of the film's ban outside of France. So the similarities are really strong, and both albums are superb!

The 5th release in the BBE J-Jazz series is up for pre-order. @Skalap has this been linked before? I seem to recognise the album title and cover so it might be that you’ve already linked it?

Miyasaka + 5 - Animals Garden - BBE Records - Barely Breaking Even

I shared a picture of the OBI (inlet side) where we could see the next two releases of the serie but not any link:

Sasaki Hideto - Sekine Toshiyuki Quartet + 1 ‎– Stop Over
Miyasaka + 5 ‎– Animals Garden

1568637308252.png

For those who have Monk's Les Liaisons Dangereuses, is it worth getting the RSD box-set or will the 1 LP release do fine?
I have the box set but not the 1LP. The box set is awesome. Sam Records can do no wrong for me so you should be good with either! I got a really good deal on the box and didn’t realize they were releasing a 1LP later on so not entirely sure the differences outside of packaging!

Miles Davis Quintet - The Legendary Prestige Sessions

New one from Craft. Looks to be a monster, a similar set up to the latest Coltrane box set, with the book folder type set up.
Came here to post this. I might be down for this because somehow the only one of these sessions I have is Workin', but then again I'm trying to really, actually, for real this time stop buying anything other than the already announced Blue Note reissues.

Picked up a copy of Down Beat’s Jazz Record’s Review Vol V. Was it @Selaws who mentioned them? This one is from 1961. Flipped it open to a scathing 2 star review of Blakey’s “At The Jazz Corner of the World Vol 1.” Looking forward to reading more of it though and should be a great resource for finding new jazz records to listen to. It’s also interesting to see how opinions of records change over time.

New one from Craft. Looks to be a monster, a similar set up to the latest Coltrane box set, with the book folder type set up.
There is a 12-disc boxset of Miles' Prestige stuff that I'm close to pulling the trigger on. Missed a decently priced one in a Stockholm shop by pondering too long. I've only got the four -in' albums so always struck me as a good way to catch up on the rest...

Picked up a copy of Down Beat’s Jazz Record’s Review Vol V. Was it @Selaws who mentioned them? This one is from 1961. Flipped it open to a scathing 2 star review of Blakey’s “At The Jazz Corner of the World Vol 1.” Looking forward to reading more of it though and should be a great resource for finding new jazz records to listen to. It’s also interesting to see how opinions of records change over time.
Yeah it was me! Thats a great find buddy, they’re pretty tricky to get hold of. I tend to use google books and search the album name. I love seeing albums you imagine to score low actually get a high score (and vice versa), it shows how the album has aged!

Great collection of albums, but I'm gonna pass for two reasons.
1. The album art of these albums are iconic to me. Don't want to miss out on them by purchasing a box set. Plus I don't really like those craft labels.
2. These albums are all cheaply available as OJCs from the 80s, which are AAA. Probably could get the lot for around $100, so don't really want to spend double that if I don't have to.

New release this Friday from Soul Jazz Records, limited to 1000 copies. The other releases from his are simply super, just great soul jazz. Looking forward to this one. @Mr Moore first made me aware of Lloyd McNeil a while ago, so looking forward to this.

Lloyd McNeil - Elegia
Listening to the short clips I may need to listen to this in full before buying. A couple of solo flute tracks and one with fairly operatic singing, plus a couple similar to previous releases.

Yeah it was me! Thats a great find buddy, they’re pretty tricky to get hold of. I tend to use google books and search the album name. I love seeing albums you imagine to score low actually get a high score (and vice versa), it shows how the album has aged!
Based on the other pricing of them on ebay, got it for a pretty decent price too. It really is a kind of funny read. The foreward goes on a rant about the death of the jazz critic as a full-time profession and how Ornette Coleman is only praised because John Lewis came out and said Coleman was amazing. I'm excited just to go through all of the reviews though and find new music I wasn't aware of.

Muriel Grossmann's Golden Rule is, with hindsight, probably my favourite release of last year. So I'm super excited that it looks like she has a new record Reverence coming out at the end of the year (including on vinyl via RR Gems) - she's playing concerts in Finland and Estonia and I'm going to see if I can time a work trip to get to one of them. In searching around for stuff on her, I found this interview which includes a long and interesting section on her influences in case anybody is interested Muriel Grossmann

Thanks for that, it really is a good album, spun it the other week, look forward to hearing her new stuff.
Muriel Grossmann's Golden Rule is, with hindsight, probably my favourite release of last year. So I'm super excited that it looks like she has a new record Reverence coming out at the end of the year (including on vinyl via RR Gems) - she's playing concerts in Finland and Estonia and I'm going to see if I can time a work trip to get to one of them. In searching around for stuff on her, I found this interview which includes a long and interesting section on her influences in case anybody is interested Muriel Grossmann

Back