Jazz

Are they AAA though? I haven't seen any mastering or pressing info.
I originally came across the boxset on Acoustic Sounds website and the description said this:

“Produced by Nick Phillips, the vinyl box includes six 180-gram LPs pressed at RTI and cut from the original analog masters by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio. The four classic titles feature faithfully replicated artwork printed on tip-on record jackets and the bonus disc comes in a deluxe gatefold printed on reverse board. The high-end package also contains a 16-page booklet filled with photos, and new insightful liner notes by jazz historian Doug Ramsey, plus a collectible Melvin Sokolsky photo print in a glycine pouch. The contents are housed in a striking linen-wrapped slipcase with foil stamped art.”

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

Alright Jazz Heads, Kind Of Blue question here. I just discovered there's a RSD Mono press of KOB mastered by Ryan Smith for Sony that from what I can tell is supposed to be fantastic... and of course there's also the MOFI stereo. I currently have the MOV 2 LP version which is fine but really not up to par on what I want this to sound like coming out of my speakers. Do any of you have the MOFI and the Mono RKS Sony that could tell me just how close these are. Or should I just forget about it and do what I and everyone on here who knows me KNOWS that I'm gunna do and just buy the MOFI and be done with it?

But seriously I am curious about the Mono version...

It doesn't say here, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that the MOV version was the same as the Sony Legacy (but I may have mis-remembered). Either way I think the mono mix is worth a listen.

I think the legacy mon mix is from a digital transfer but maybe the MoFi is as well:

Last edited:
It doesn't say here, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that the MOV version was the same as the Sony Legacy (but I may have mis-remembered). Either way I think the mono mix is worth a listen.

In the comments for this piece (I think it was this piece) Fremer says that the mono MOV is different from the Legacy he reviewed. But either way the MOV I currently own is the Stereo 2LP which is 1000% different from what he reviewed. But yeah it's muddy about the MOV and Legacy Mono, but from what I've read it APPEARS that the MOV is either a different master OR its a high res transfer of the Legacy master... BUT WHO KNOWS...

I originally came across the boxset on Acoustic Sounds website and the description said this:

“Produced by Nick Phillips, the vinyl box includes six 180-gram LPs pressed at RTI and cut from the original analog masters by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio. The four classic titles feature faithfully replicated artwork printed on tip-on record jackets and the bonus disc comes in a deluxe gatefold printed on reverse board. The high-end package also contains a 16-page booklet filled with photos, and new insightful liner notes by jazz historian Doug Ramsey, plus a collectible Melvin Sokolsky photo print in a glycine pouch. The contents are housed in a striking linen-wrapped slipcase with foil stamped art.”

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼
Ah. Awesome--I tried finding a description elsewhere but the ol google wasn't finding anything. Here's the link for those interested cc: @botherly

I have the RSD mono version and IMHO it sounds fantastic. Haven’t compared to the MOFI version, but you’re likely safe with either.
The MOFI is the only one of that series that I saw get uneven feedback. I'll try to find the review -- maybe analogplanet.com (fremer, also of stereophile)

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼
Ah. Awesome--I tried finding a description elsewhere but the ol google wasn't finding anything. Here's the link for those interested cc: @botherly

THANK YOU. As if I really need another expensive box set but I've been listening to Chet Baker all weekend streaming and now I can't help myself. Good thing I started selling some old records I never touch.

Haven’t priced things out, but it seems that Craft Recordings is having a sale on their Prestige titles: buy two get one 50% off.

Oh yeah just saw you posted this-- I think I might've mentioned these before. Do we know anything about them in terms of pressing? I googled and Hoffman doesn't have much info at all. I know Craft is considered their audiophile reissue label but, I don't know-- the prices seem too good to be AAA.

Oh yeah just saw you posted this-- I think I might've mentioned these before. Do we know anything about them in terms of pressing? I googled and Hoffman doesn't have much info at all. I know Craft is considered their audiophile reissue label but, I don't know-- the prices seem too good to be AAA.
They're hit and miss. I've got 24 Carat Black which isn't great, and the Rollins Way Out West box which is quite good but overpriced and likely digital, and the newly released Country Blues of John Lee Hooker which is incredible.

They're hit and miss. I've got 24 Carat Black which isn't great, and the Rollins Way Out West box which is quite good but overpriced and likely digital, and the newly released Country Blues of John Lee Hooker which is incredible.

Yeah this is the feeling I'm getting. At least one of the Miles Davis records mentions that it's the RVG Remaster-- which would make it digital, right?

THANK YOU. As if I really need another expensive box set but I've been listening to Chet Baker all weekend streaming and now I can't help myself. Good thing I started selling some old records I never touch.
It's even more of a buy for me because I somehow don't own ANY of these Chet records even though I already have quite a few.

As for the Craft Prestige titles, I'm not sure of the pressing information. I do believe that they tend to mention if it's AAA and I assume that all others might not be? I wish all companies were up front with this stuff...

Yeah this is the feeling I'm getting. At least one of the Miles Davis records mentions that it's the RVG Remaster-- which would make it digital, right?
I don't really know, they don't seem to be very forthcoming with their sources. I will say the the Country Blues release sounds as good as any Mofi or AP I own and at something $22 is an absolute steal... It's KPG at Cohearant but uses that slightly nebulous terminology of "all analogue mastering" which could mean AAA pressing or could mean AA... But either way it sounds spectacular.

Last edited:
It's even more of a buy for me because I somehow don't own ANY of these Chet records even though I already have quite a few.

As for the Craft Prestige titles, I'm not sure of the pressing information. I do believe that they tend to mention if it's AAA and I assume that all others might not be? I wish all companies were up front with this stuff...

It's frustrating, but what I really don't get is when a record really is AAA but they don't actually mention that. It seems like such an easy thing to do and it's just a little piece of extra marketing, right?

It's frustrating, but what I really don't get is when a record really is AAA but they don't actually mention that. It seems like such an easy thing to do and it's just a little piece of extra marketing, right?
There is a lot of misleading info regarding pressings of all sorts. Even if it says from the original masters, that doesn't mean it is AAA. I wish people would just be up front about it. They muddy the waters so that people still buy it. And just because it's not AAA doesn't mean that it sounds bad...I have some AA titles that still sound amazing. But I do really wish everybody would be up front about it more.

I did some research after we talked yesterday and MOV do all the Official releases for Miles Davis via Legacy and Steve Berkowitz And apparently they got the same master that the US used but I think they did their own cut in house, no sterling Rks in the deadwax.Berkowitz has to sign off on the pressing though, Is the 2LP set that you have the one with the bonus tracks from 2010 ?

In the comments for this piece (I think it was this piece) Fremer says that the mono MOV is different from the Legacy he reviewed. But either way the MOV I currently own is the Stereo 2LP which is 1000% different from what he reviewed. But yeah it's muddy about the MOV and Legacy Mono, but from what I've read it APPEARS that the MOV is either a different master OR its a high res transfer of the Legacy master... BUT WHO KNOWS...

I did some research after we talked yesterday and MOV do all the Official releases for Miles Davis via Legacy and Steve Berkowitz And apparently they got the same master that the US used but I think they did their own cut in house, no sterling Rks in the deadwax.Berkowitz has to sign off on the pressing though, Is the 2LP set that you have the one with the bonus tracks from 2010 ?
Yeah that's the one I've got... maybe I should hold off on the Mono and just get the Mofi...

It’s a different listen to any of the other ones I have , a few people say it has too much bottom especially on So What, but more people love it whatever that’s worth, but will probably cost 4/5 times more than the Mono, which is still very good, but obviously the difference between St/Mono. And the flipping thing and 33/45 rpm.

It’s a different listen to any of the other ones I have , a few people say it has too much bottom especially on So What, but more people love it whatever that’s worth, but will probably cost 4/5 times more than the Mono, which is still very good, but obviously the difference between St/Mono. And the flipping thing and 33/45 rpm.
Yeah I mean that's the thing. I KNOW the MOFI stereo will be a big jump from my MOV stereo, I'm not sure that the Legacy RKS Mono will be that big of a jump over my stereo. And your point about not wasting money buying this same album 3 times when there are numerous others I should have makes a lot of sense. I mean my dumb lizard brain wants to ignore that advice and just buy it but I should probably just wait for the cheapest deal I can find on the Mofi and call it a day...

Yeah I mean that's the thing. I KNOW the MOFI stereo will be a big jump from my MOV stereo, I'm not sure that the Legacy RKS Mono will be that big of a jump over my stereo. And your point about not wasting money buying this same album 3 times when there are numerous others I should have makes a lot of sense. I mean my dumb lizard brain wants to ignore that advice and just buy it but I should probably just wait for the cheapest deal I can find on the Mofi and call it a day...
I would say your best bet on the cheap MoFi is going to be from Acoustic Sounds for $60. I wasn’t able to find it cheaper than that anywhere. Seeing as it’s out of stock on MoFis website it’s only going to climb and climb in price. Better to own it then to not, if you ask me.

I would say your best bet on the cheap MoFi is going to be from Acoustic Sounds for $60. I wasn’t able to find it cheaper than that anywhere. Seeing as it’s out of stock on MoFis website it’s only going to climb and climb in price. Better to own it then to not, if you ask me.
Yeah no dice in Canada, shipping is nuts from them. I'll find it for $80ish CAD from Amazon or something... It's being re-pressed so I think it'll still be around for a while...

Back