Jazz

Based on the other pricing of them on ebay, got it for a pretty decent price too. It really is a kind of funny read. The foreward goes on a rant about the death of the jazz critic as a full-time profession and how Ornette Coleman is only praised because John Lewis came out and said Coleman was amazing. I'm excited just to go through all of the reviews though and find new music I wasn't aware of.
This sounds fantastic! I'm gonna have to search some of these out.

This sounds fantastic! I'm gonna have to search some of these out.
Wait until I buy a few more maybe? haha. It was funny that I immediately turned to the review of Blakey. There was a line in the review about how annoying having an emcee was and that Blakey asking the audience to cheer because they were recording it was proof that the band was bad and that they probably couldn't get cheers without asking for them.

Wait until I buy a few more maybe? haha. It was funny that I immediately turned to the review of Blakey. There was a line in the review about how annoying having an emcee was and that Blakey asking the audience to cheer because they were recording it was proof that the band was bad and that they probably couldn't get cheers without asking for them.
I'd love to read that review! I tried searching all over the internet and it doesn't seem to be anywhere.

Can anyone recommend the best affordable pressing for A Love Supreme?

John Coltrane: A Love Supreme (180g, Colored Vinyl) Vinyl LP Is this one worth picking up? Or are there great Japanese pressings still floating around that are affordable? Not too sure what’s out there, would love some guidance.

What price range are we talking?

EDIT: this seems like a decent older pressing at a decent price:

I think the original source tapes don’t exist anymore so I might not trust newer pressings of it.

Last edited:
So I've been enjoying going through sections of Miles Davis' discography for a few years now, but despite playing (piano) in my high school jazz band I'd consider myself still pretty ignorant to jazz as a whole. My biggest takeaway from the band, apart from general names and standards, is Chick Corea, so it is nice hearing him play electric piano in the Davis Fusion albums.

What I really don't have a grasp of is what Jazz was like before Miles Davis, so I kind of feel like I'm lacking a baseline for what was innovative in his earlier albums. I do really like Sketches of Spain, of course I've heard Kind of Blue and Milestones plenty, and tried a few of the even earlier ones. But I was hoping for some recommendations as to what was around before these albums. I'm sure there's a bunch of things I could listen to so that when I get back to Birth of the Cool for example, it sounds refreshing.
Any ideas?

So I've been enjoying going through sections of Miles Davis' discography for a few years now, but despite playing (piano) in my high school jazz band I'd consider myself still pretty ignorant to jazz as a whole. My biggest takeaway from the band, apart from general names and standards, is Chick Corea, so it is nice hearing him play electric piano in the Davis Fusion albums.

What I really don't have a grasp of is what Jazz was like before Miles Davis, so I kind of feel like I'm lacking a baseline for what was innovative in his earlier albums. I do really like Sketches of Spain, of course I've heard Kind of Blue and Milestones plenty, and tried a few of the even earlier ones. But I was hoping for some recommendations as to what was around before these albums. I'm sure there's a bunch of things I could listen to so that when I get back to Birth of the Cool for example, it sounds refreshing.
Any ideas?
If I’m correct, Jazz before the Bop era was primarily Big Band, Vocal Jazz And Standards. Bop really seemed to have launched the more original and creative pursuit of jazz and broke the scene apart from giant bands led by Duke Ellington, Dizzy, Harry James, Count Basie, Tommy Dorsey, etc etc down into small trios, quartets, and quintets helmed by masters of their instruments. Bop was a renaissance in the jazz format, think of it as the jump from The Beatles type of rock to Led Zeppelin/The Doors type of Rock. The music got sexier, more intense, rebellious, violent even lol. That being said pre-bop Jazz is still incredible and remarkably beautiful, it’s just much more buttoned up and predictable. When venturing back through that I recommend starting with albums like Masterpieces by Duke Ellington, Ella & Louis, Benny Goodman at Carnegie Hall and artists like The Ink Spots, Billie Holiday, Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra etc etc. Its a much sunnier era of music, at least that’s how my mind perceives it! I have a great playlist that dives into that era of music on Spotify if you want me to send it to you. It’s one of my favorites to listen to on any given day.

If I’m correct, Jazz before the Bop era was primarily Big Band, Vocal Jazz And Standards. Bop really seemed to have launched the more original and creative pursuit of jazz and broke the scene apart from giant bands led by Duke Ellington, Dizzy, Harry James, Count Basie, Tommy Dorsey, etc etc down into small trios, quartets, and quintets helmed by masters of their instruments. Bop was a renaissance in the jazz format, think of it as the jump from The Beatles type of rock to Led Zeppelin/The Doors type of Rock. The music got sexier, more intense, rebellious, violent even lol. That being said pre-bop Jazz is still incredible and remarkably beautiful, it’s just much more buttoned up and predictable. When venturing back through that I recommend starting with albums like Masterpieces by Duke Ellington, Ella & Louis, Benny Goodman at Carnegie Hall and artists like The Ink Spots, Billie Holiday, Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra etc etc. Its a much sunnier era of music, at least that’s how my mind perceives it! I have a great playlist that dives into that era of music on Spotify if you want me to send it to you. It’s one of my favorites to listen to on any given day.

Thank you! I'll definitely be picking out several albums from these suggestions, but yeah I wouldn't mind checking out the playlist.

Any ideas?
Bird & Diz is coming out as a reissue on Impulse this weekend and I'd recommend that for what jazz sounded like just as Miles started. Other records by Charlie Parker or Dizzy Gillespie are good as well. As for early Miles, apart from Birth of the Cool, I'd recommend the Walkin', Cookin', Steamin', Relaxin' releases. Beyond that, my knowledge starts to get a bit fuzzy.

Honestly the best way to explore Jazz is looking at the people who play with your favourites and see who else they played with, but you don’t have to overthink it, it really doesn’t matter what Jazz was like before Miles recorded whatever, all that matters is if You like listening to that album, does is it connect with you, does it make you feel something? I understand if you want to go back and listen to what came before, but just enjoy the music ! Miles was a restless soul and had to keep moving and changing, there may be a lot of His music that doesn’t do it for you now, but maybe in 20 years you may love that and not listen to what you love now, just listen to as much music as you can on any format and keep smiling.

Any ideas?
Go back and listen to Bird and the Big Bands and see if they connect as well, maybe they will , maybe not.

Last edited:
Bird & Diz is coming out as a reissue on Impulse this weekend and I'd recommend that for what jazz sounded like just as Miles started. Other records by Charlie Parker or Dizzy Gillespie are good as well.

I was going to say the exact same thing!

While Miles clearly shaped jazz, he didn’t invent it. It’s also worth noting that while he certainly had fantastic releases, at the same time other musicians were exploring different sub-genres of jazz.

Let’s take 1959 as an example. Just taking a small sample of the albums released that year we have:
Ornette Coleman - The Shape Of Jazz To Come (unconventional Free Jazz)

Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue (experimental Modal Jazz)

Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um (Post Bop)

Dave Brubeck - Time Out (Cool Jazz)

Art Blakey - Moanin’ (Hard Bop)

John Coltrane - Giant Steps (experimental Hard Bop) technically released in 1960 but recorded in 1959.

So this is just a small small selection but there’s such a wide range of musical jazz styles on offer.

Haven't posted here in a while but felt I'd ought to let you know that Binker Golding is halfway through a majestic live-streamed set (youtube and facebook) from Ronnie Scotts for his new album launch. Sarah Tandy has been killing it on keys - sounds amazing - tune in. Starts again at about 9:30 uk time for the second hlf of the set.

Haven't posted here in a while but felt I'd ought to let you know that Binker Golding is halfway through a majestic live-streamed set (youtube and facebook) from Ronnie Scotts for his new album launch. Sarah Tandy has been killing it on keys - sounds amazing - tune in. Starts again at about 9:30 uk time for the second hlf of the set.

This.
And while I'm posting - some of you maybe interested in Dylan Jones' (ezra collective) new band who have an album out this Friday

PYJÆN, by PYJÆN
And this.

Both pre-ordered long time ago and I'm really looking forward to these records. :)

Welcome back. 🍻

Back