Jazz

I did that with George Braith's Extension the other week haha. eBay bids were going crazy on it, went over to discogs, offered somebody $25 for their copy that was listed at $35, they accepted and the ebay auction for the same album in worse condition ended up selling for $70+ on ebay hah.

It's so easy to get sucked into a bidding war when it becomes more about WINNING than getting a good deal... not going to pretend like I haven't fallen into that trap.

I also fell into another trap and ended up buying these bad boys:

IMG_20190910_112711.jpg

Listening to Nubya now, sounds fantastic.

It's so easy to get sucked into a bidding war when it becomes more about WINNING than getting a good deal... not going to pretend like I haven't fallen into that trap.

View attachment 16688

Those are FANTASTIC records right there.

I read the first couple chapters of Art Pepper's Autobiography, 'Straight Life', on my commute to work this morning.......holy moly that guy had a rough life. The intro sets the book out and its got me really excited to get to specific events. The first chapter goes through his upbringing, which was super super tough.

Its an interesting format as well. Pepper basically talked to his wife, who recorded the conversation and then transcribed it/cleaned it up into the book format. At the beginning of the book is a glossary of everyone that gets a mention, as well as a short couple of sentences about who they are. This is useful as between chapter 1 and 2 (and presumably throughout the book) there are direct interviews with these people, who answer questions and provide anecdotes directly associated to the chapters they follow.

All in all, fantastic stuff so far. Looking forward to the rest.

View attachment 16688

Is your Nubya record quiet? Mine has A TON of pops and clicks, but the curious part is that I'm possitive they didn't appear until the 5th or so spin ):
I have no idea what it could be, since I cleaned and resleeved the record, so I don't see a reason for that kind of degradation in quality

Is your Nubya record quiet? Mine has A TON of pops and clicks, but the curious part is that I'm possitive they didn't appear until the 5th or so spin ):
I have no idea what it could be, since I cleaned and resleeved the record, so I don't see a reason for that kind of degradation in quality

Quiet so far but I'll give it another listen today and edit this post with my findings. Sorry yours is a stinker, it's a really good record.

To @Skalap, @Selaws and others who have bought the new BBE J Jazz Comp, I just had my first spin and am even more blown away than I expected. I don't remember Vol 1 sounding this good. Maybe I need to relisten to Vol 1, because the sound quality was certainly not bad by any means, so maybe I'm underselling it. But they really nailed it in the sound quality department on Vol 2. Only thing that annoys me is that they chose to use paper inner sleeves(n) Although at least the paper wasn't ridiculously static like those Blue Note 80 inner sleeves .

Yeah, It's always a bit of a crap shoot with comp's ,they have a whole lot of different recording quality and hope to make it sound good as a whole, I listened to a couple of tracks off the Vol 1 the other week , sounded pretty good, I have Vol 2 coming from rarewaves UK, but I'm off to Japan for a month on Tuesday so won't be able to listen to it till after October 17th .
To @Skalap, @Selaws and others who have bought the new BBE J Jazz Comp, I just had my first spin and am even more blown away than I expected. I don't remember Vol 1 sounding this good. Maybe I need to relisten to Vol 1, because the sound quality was certainly not bad by any means, so maybe I'm underselling it. But they really nailed it in the sound quality department on Vol 2. Only thing that annoys me is that they chose to use paper inner sleeves(n) Although at least the paper wasn't ridiculously static like those Blue Note 80 inner sleeves .

Yeah, It's always a bit of a crap shoot with comp's ,they have a whole lot of different recording quality and hope to make it sound good as a whole, I listened to a couple of tracks off the Vol 1 the other week , sounded pretty good, I have Vol 2 coming from rarewaves UK, but I'm off to Japan for a month on Tuesday so won't be able to listen to it till after October 17th .
Im spinning mine later today, just currently listening to the Tohru Aizawa Quintet - Tachibana which BBE released last year. Its just fantastic stuff so im looking forward to the J Jazz vol 3 comp. I also picked up the Makoto Terashita Meets Harold Land ‎– Topology at the same time, so I have plenty to get through!

Im spinning mine later today, just currently listening to the Tohru Aizawa Quintet - Tachibana which BBE released last year. Its just fantastic stuff so im looking forward to the J Jazz vol 3 comp. I also picked up the Makoto Terashita Meets Harold Land ‎– Topology at the same time, so I have plenty to get through!

Just listening to Makoto Terashita Meets Harold Land ‎– Topology on spotify. It's a belter, interested to hear if you think it sounds good on record. My no records month is really being tested!

Back