Jazz

Yazz Ahmed - Polyhymnia
0017276059_10.jpg

No, I just got the info from Jazzman email the other day , there is no picture, just says coming soon . JMANLP.LP117 seems to be the code for the album, Also new Nat Birchall album Tribute to Yusef Lateef just out . Love his albums that I have so far .

1567894843566.png
You got a link bud? Cant seem to find anything online.

No, I just got the info from Jazzman email the other day , there is no picture, just says coming soon . JMANLP.LP117 seems to be the code for the album, Also new Nat Birchall album Tribute to Yusef Lateef just out . Love his albums that I have so far .
I paid an arm and a leg with shipping last batch they released of Spiritual Jazz and then they had loads of copies in my local store...I might ask my local if they will be getting them this time around. The series is really awesome and they seem pretty difficult to find after the first run.

Thought some of you might dig this. I spent the day in Englewood Cliffs at Rudy Van Gelder's studio! I got to tag along and help a buddy who is working on an RVG project.

RVG's Blue Train gold plaque

30+ foot ceiling

ED5aRhQW4AUQnLh.jpg

Some of RVG's awards, including his Grammy. This does not even begin to scratch the surface.

ED5YA3JX4AAxYJd.jpg

ED5YA3LXkAABQQR.jpg

ED5Z6TvWkAM5AU-.jpg

ED5Z6cjXkAMA3SF.jpg

ED5Z6cmXoAccot5.jpg

ED5Z6e_W4AAgQoJ.jpg

Very disappointing night yesterday. Emma-Jean Tackray could have been good if she had decided not to sing. She actually doesn't sing very well. Kamaal Williams was much, much better. Even if he was facing technical issues (they had to replace a keyboard in the middle of the show) he and his band were playing very well and people were starting dancing and enjoying their evening. But after 40 minutes of show he stopped the music, took the microphone and started insulting the staff. The staff had turned off his keyboard to end his show. I never saw such thing at what I call a big show. He got furious, insulting and calling the staff to the stage to show their face (they didn't show up). To finish, I love Mos Def, I loved the show HBE did in Paris a few years ago but they don't match. Something is missing. It sounded like a standand brass band playing music and some standard rapper improvising on it. Maybe I was expecting more or something else but it didn't worked for me.

Thought some of you might dig this. I spent the day in Englewood Cliffs at Rudy Van Gelder's studio! I got to tag along and help a buddy who is working on an RVG project.

RVG's Blue Train gold plaque

30+ foot ceiling

ED5aRhQW4AUQnLh.jpg

Some of RVG's awards, including his Grammy. This does not even begin to scratch the surface.

ED5YA3JX4AAxYJd.jpg

ED5YA3LXkAABQQR.jpg

ED5Z6TvWkAM5AU-.jpg

ED5Z6cjXkAMA3SF.jpg

ED5Z6cmXoAccot5.jpg

ED5Z6e_W4AAgQoJ.jpg

Post of the year!!

I saw your stuff on insatgram, didnt realise it was you :ROFLMAO: Super cool that you were able tolook around and share the pics. Is it part of a work project?

Post of the year!!

I saw your stuff on insatgram, didnt realise it was you :ROFLMAO: Super cool that you were able tolook around and share the pics. Is it part of a work project?

If it's on instagram, it's Rich aka dgmono. It's his project. He's doing a presentation on Rudy Van Gelder for the Audio Engineering Society. I accompanied him and his research assistant to take images of Rudy's microphones, the space, and exterior for his project. There were boxes of them and most were in pristine condition. All those cool shots of Neumman and other legendary mics in Francis Wolff photos were there. To be up close and personal with them was incredible.

Other cool tidbits was the piano that was brought over from Rudy's parents home in Hackensack. The top of it was full of scribbling, etchings, and notes by Thelonious Monk. Apparently Monk had a habit of writing hard on paper, so it went through to the top of the piano. That was pretty cool. Also, it was cool to see the places where all the photos were taken for legendary artists. I mean, we all know Francis Wolff took shots there. But also cool, was realizing that many other cool images were taken there or around the property as well by other photographers. Like the shot of Roy Haynes in the car with his trio, and other Roy covers. The cover photo of John Coltrane for A Love Supreme was taken outside the house by Bob Thiele. That same photo was actually the inner gatefold photo in Crescent.

Speaking of photography, Rudy Van Gelder was an incredible photographer himself. He was a birdwatcher and mostly took photos of birds and nature. He did all the film developing and printing himself. His studio is full of his work.

Maureen and Don Sickler were very gracious making the space available to us. If you don't know who Don Sickler is, then read his info here - Don Sickler - Wikipedia

If it's on instagram, it's Rich aka dgmono. It's his project. He's doing a presentation on Rudy Van Gelder for the Audio Engineering Society. I accompanied him and his research assistant to take images of Rudy's microphones, the space, and exterior for his project. There were boxes of them and most were in pristine condition. All those cool shots of Neumman and other legendary mics in Francis Wolff photos were there. To be up close and personal with them was incredible.

Other cool tidbits was the piano that was brought over from Rudy's parents home in Hackensack. The top of it was full of scribbling, etchings, and notes by Thelonious Monk. Apparently Monk had a habit of writing hard on paper, so it went through to the top of the piano. That was pretty cool. Also, it was cool to see the places where all the photos were taken for legendary artists. I mean, we all know Francis Wolff took shots there. But also cool, was realizing that many other cool images were taken there or around the property as well by other photographers. Like the shot of Roy Haynes in the car with his trio, and other Roy covers. The cover photo of John Coltrane for A Love Supreme was taken outside the house by Bob Thiele. That same photo was actually the inner gatefold photo in Crescent.

Speaking of photography, Rudy Van Gelder was an incredible photographer himself. He was a birdwatcher and mostly took photos of birds and nature. He did all the film developing and printing himself. His studio is full of his work.

Maureen and Don Sickler were very gracious making the space available to us. If you don't know who Don Sickler is, then read his info here - Don Sickler - Wikipedia
Thanks so much for taking the time to write this. I find this kind of stuff so so interesting. Must have been an amazing experience!

I've not heard of Don Sickler before but will certainly check him out. His project with Philly Joe Jones (who i adore!) sounds fantastic!

Hey does anyone know anything about these Craft reissues? I'm looking at the Prestige presses and also some of the Stax titles. I see mixed comments, some say KG mastered and pressed at RTI all analogue. Any thoughts/info? Might just grab one and find out...

Back