Jazz

I shared this on another thread but seems relevant here too!

Well, this is really cool.

Back in January, I ordered Muriel Grossmann's "Birth Of The Mystery" from Bandcamp. When it arrived it was really filthy, with lots of fingerprints, slightly warped, and what I initially thought were scratches over the record itself. I popped a message over to James at Passerine Records to explain the situation and he offered to send a replacement. I cleaned the record up and it actually came out ok and played with no real issues, so I messaged him back to explain and said there was no need to send another (small label, from the States, etc).

He came back thanking me and said once he finished moving house he would dig out something extra special to send as a thank you. Today, a package arrived with a note. Initially, they managed to secure Kevin Gray to cut "Birth Of The Mystery", which he did. They pressed 5 test pressings and gave them to the band and label, but there was a single tick on one of the tracks so it got rejected. They then used a different engineer as Kevin was no longer available.

So here we have 1 of 5 test pressings cut by Gray of Grossmann's album. Very cool.

IMG_1343.JPG

I shared this on another thread but seems relevant here too!

Well, this is really cool.

Back in January, I ordered Muriel Grossmann's "Birth Of The Mystery" from Bandcamp. When it arrived it was really filthy, with lots of fingerprints, slightly warped, and what I initially thought were scratches over the record itself. I popped a message over to James at Passerine Records to explain the situation and he offered to send a replacement. I cleaned the record up and it actually came out ok and played with no real issues, so I messaged him back to explain and said there was no need to send another (small label, from the States, etc).

He came back thanking me and said once he finished moving house he would dig out something extra special to send as a thank you. Today, a package arrived with a note. Initially, they managed to secure Kevin Gray to cut "Birth Of The Mystery", which he did. They pressed 5 test pressings and gave them to the band and label, but there was a single tick on one of the tracks so it got rejected. They then used a different engineer as Kevin was no longer available.

So here we have 1 of 5 test pressings cut by Gray of Grossmann's album. Very cool.

View attachment 178756
That’s just super neat

I was not excited about the upcoming Matthew Halsall album. While I love his music his albums feel a little repetitive. However the singles out now have him leaving the Indian influence and taking up some African influence.

the local consignment shop near me had a grail today that I need to think hard about going back for…I’ve never seen it in the wild. They had a mono promo of Sahib Shahib’s Summer Dawn. It looked to be in really good condition. I saw maybe one or two surface scuffs on it that weren’t feelable. I absolutely love that record…might sell some stuff to buy it…asked if the guy was interested in a trade but he didn’t get back to me yet.

the local consignment shop near me had a grail today that I need to think hard about going back for…I’ve never seen it in the wild. They had a mono promo of Sahib Shahib’s Summer Dawn. It looked to be in really good condition. I saw maybe one or two surface scuffs on it that weren’t feelable. I absolutely love that record…might sell some stuff to buy it…asked if the guy was interested in a trade but he didn’t get back to me yet.
Interestingly, I've seen more promo copies of this record than regular copies of this record. Killer album.

This is apparently similar with Black Jazz Records. Lots of promo's out there and the only ever original that i've seen in the flesh is a promo (which I bought haha!)
Maybe Black Jazz had a radio station strategy with producing so many promos. Sales never quite caught up and there was a lot of cut-out and sealed stock left around even in the 90s when I started collecting. Even now, it is weird how many sealed Black Jazz albums are still out there.

Back