Jazz

Willis Jackson.....Bill Barron.....Ricky Ford.....David Scnitter.....Carlos Garnett.....Harold Ousley.....Houston Person.....

These are the gems, and for the most part, very obtainable.

The Garnetts are getting up there in price now too sadly!
Yeah, but they aren't the best of Muse. Some get into pretty pretty pseudo-spiritual noodling style.

Bill Barron - highly underappreciated.

Willis jackson - the king of soul.

Ricky Ford - forgotten titan.

David Schnitter - unknown then, unknown now, yet great records.

All these show just how much Muse built off and exceeded BN comparables.

The prices can be all over the place. But yes—quite a lot of titles are affordable! Great label. Unfortunately there are a bunch on my wantlist I can’t afford! Roy Brooks, Joe Bonner, Walt Barr, Joe Chambers and a bunch of others.
Glad to see you mention Joe Bonner. He was a resident of Denver and played all around town and a fantastic player oftentimes pounding the piano into submission. After one rousing show at the KUVO radio station performance studio on their 10' Estonia grand, I mentioned to him that a piano tuner was going to be needed. He responded "Yeah, I kicked the shit outta that motherfucker, didn't I?" Alcohol took his life way too soon.

Cross-post from the Pre-Order thread. This looks pretty cool, and should be available at local bookshops once it is published in September.

What's the scoop on Hip Walk reissue? AAA? Mastering?
it's great. very clearly states AAA on the hype sticker. nice to have it so transparent vs so many other companies now making you wait to see what the deadwax states or having to dig through instagram comments/hoffman threads to see what the sources were. makes me excited for the rest of their reissue campaign!

Glad to see you mention Joe Bonner. He was a resident of Denver and played all around town and a fantastic player oftentimes pounding the piano into submission. After one rousing show at the KUVO radio station performance studio on their 10' Estonia grand, I mentioned to him that a piano tuner was going to be needed. He responded "Yeah, I kicked the shit outta that motherfucker, didn't I?" Alcohol took his life way too soon.
I really want his album Angel Eyes but a clean copy at a decent price has escaped me so far.

Just got our Q4 live acts booked, my favourite time of the year when the London Jazz Festival kicks in:

Zoe Rahman & Friends
Wed 06/09/2023

Greg Foat & Gigi Masin
Fri 10/11/2023

Sam Gendel
Tues 14/11/2023

Tom Skinner
Wed 15/11/2023

Tyshawn Sorey Trio
Fri 17/11/2023
looks like i might have to find a way to get to London in november.... :)

it's great. very clearly states AAA on the hype sticker. nice to have it so transparent vs so many other companies now making you wait to see what the deadwax states or having to dig through instagram comments/hoffman threads to see what the sources were. makes me excited for the rest of their reissue campaign!

Wasn't quick enough to nab a copy at my semi-local. Hopefully they get more.

You know, their reissue campaign has been going on for something like 7 years now, right?

You know, their reissue campaign has been going on for something like 7 years now, right?
i only recently realized it haha. they took a few very long breaks it seems according to discogs. released almost nothing new at all during the pandemic. haven't been that deep into jazz labels for that long. I only really started branching out from the BN/Prestige/Impulse catalogue for jazz around 2019 which makes sense as to why i hadn't really paid attention to that series before. Will have to go back and pick up some older albums.

i only recently realized it haha. they took a few very long breaks it seems according to discogs. released almost nothing new at all during the pandemic. haven't been that deep into jazz labels for that long. I only really started branching out from the BN/Prestige/Impulse catalogue for jazz around 2019 which makes sense as to why i hadn't really paid attention to that series before. Will have to go back and pick up some older albums.
MPS is one of the most important jazz labels in music history. Although ECM is considered the major european jazz label, I would consider the original MPS run to be even more important.

Forget the reissue campaign, OG's are easy to find in mint condition for decent prices. There are endless gems in there.

MPS is one of the most important jazz labels in music history. Although ECM is considered the major european jazz label, I would consider the original MPS run to be even more important.

Forget the reissue campaign, OG's are easy to find in mint condition for decent prices. There are endless gems in there.
i'd happily take requests of what other MPS stuff to seek out! i've liked what i have heard.

Back