Jazz

very glad of all the 'free-er' stuff this is getting a reissue because it's mostly approachable even for someone like me who just doesn't go there...and for me its George Cables on keys, as im just a huge fan of his....but is this a buy and listen once....

oh wait....these days they're all buys and listen once, fuck I have too many records...
sidenote: found a minty copy of Bernard Wright's 'Nard record a few days ago on the cheap, wrong thread, but its such a legend of a record and so 1981....no wonder its been sampled so much, (cough Andre Young....)

FOMOed and pre-ordered all next OJC reissues. I have an order for WFB but it says it will ship early August...

This should be officially announced later today but already listed in some places. Release date is September 15th.

Woody Shaw - Blackstone Legacy: Jazz Dispensary Top Shelf [2LP]

The post-bop opus Blackstone Legacy is the seminal debut album by trumpeter Woody Shaw. Originally released in 1971 on Contemporary Records, the groundbreaking album was inspired by the sociopolitical ills of the '60s. In their review, Allmusic called the album, "...a landmark recording, and a pivot point in the history of post-modern music". This 2-LP reissue was remastered from the original analog tapes by Kevin Gray, and pressed on 180-gram vinyl at RTI, housed in a gatefold tip-on jacket.

61ul75ujYtL._SL1013_.jpg

I have an eBay alert for Benny Bailey “Soul Eyes - Live @ Domicile Munich,” and this is a first that I’ve seen.

This is freely available on Spotify, but this guy wants almost $25 for a CDR of a needle drop described as follows: “recorded on professional equipment from a Mint lp, Pioneer PDR-919.”

View attachment 178009

Time to find where I put that box full of CDR from when I was a teenager and make some money.

I am only missing “Joyous” from them, so I opted to include that. Figured it’d make it a little better..
I think since these will be widely available, i'll probably grab them elsewhere. I have a feeling that JD may no longer limit stuff to D2C anymore. Gears and others are now available to order from other shops.

Direct from JD:
It felt really good to un-save my eBay search for this. Really, I actually don’t know why I had it in the first place. These are the typical prices every time, and there’s zero chance I’d pay anything remotely in that stratosphere for this one. But $40 for a JD Top Shelf double LP was an immediate insta-buy.
1689742414321.png

Last edited:
It felt really good to un-save my eBay search for this. Really, I actually don’t know why I had it in the first place. These are the typical prices every time, and there’s zero chance I’d pay anything remotely in that stratosphere for this one. But $40 for a JD Top Shelf double LP was an immediate insta-buy.
View attachment 178065
Yeah, same here.

@MikeH and I were talking about this earlier in the thread, but the guy asking $330 bought that last week from a great shop here in NJ, who always prices stuff very fairly. They probably had it for around $200 or just below. He bought it just to flip.

I actually messaged him and asked how much they charged and he got all offended that I even knew he bought it there. Told him if he’s going to flip records from a shop, he should probably remove the very obvious description card they place on all of their wall records, with their shop name on it. Hope he has to hold on to that for a loss now.

Yeah, same here.

@MikeH and I were talking about this earlier in the thread, but the guy asking $330 bought that last week from a great shop here in NJ, who always prices stuff very fairly. They probably had it for around $200 or just below. He bought it just to flip.

I actually messaged him and asked how much they charged and he got all offended that I even knew he bought it there. Told him if he’s going to flip records from a shop, he should probably remove the very obvious description card they place on all of their wall records, with their shop name on it. Hope he has to hold on to that for a loss now.
it looks like that guy buys to flip from Station One quite a lot. If i sort by newly listed, he has a bunch of stuff that Station One has posted on IG the past few weeks. Man.....people suck.

s-l500.jpg

Yeah, same here.

Ah — saw those posts but didn’t make the connection. Weird that he show those cards in his ads.

Ah — saw those posts but didn’t make the connection. Weird that he show those cards in his ads.
you'd only know the card if you shopped at that store and it's in a tiny town in New Jersey. I might say something to the shop next time I'm there...I know they probably don't care as long as they make a sale, but as @Colonel4Bin said, they typically have the best prices on "wall-worthy" records anywhere around here. they are a really great shop and it's a shame to see somebody picking up the good stuff just to try to flip and take advantage of their good pricing.

you'd only know the card if you shopped at that store and it's in a tiny town in New Jersey. I might say something to the shop next time I'm there...I know they probably don't care as long as they make a sale, but as @Colonel4Bin said, they typically have the best prices on "wall-worthy" records anywhere around here. they are a really great shop and it's a shame to see somebody picking up the good stuff just to try to flip and take advantage of their good pricing.

Wouldn't it be great if they DO care and hit that flipper with the banhammer though. That would be so satisfying. Sure it's not super likely, but a guy can dream.

Wouldn't it be great if they DO care and hit that flipper with the banhammer though. That would be so satisfying. Sure it's not super likely, but a guy can dream.
Knowing the people who run the shop, I could totally see them calling them out. They’re always hammering people to stop asking for discounts because their prices are already so low. They’re good people and true collectors.

But, looking at the seller’s eBay, he seems to sell the exact stuff that they do - records and other media (lots of horror VHS, DVDs, books, CDs, etc.) Maybe he’s just been riding their coattails for a while and they don’t care.

Back