Jazz

Dont tempt me....

An OG pressing of The Rubáiyát Of Dorothy Ashby came up on ebay a couple of days ago. I have never seen an original for sale in the UK until then. My bid was quickly outdone and it ended up going for over £200. The cover w pretty battered, a portion of the lower half was missing.

People are idiots.
Dont tempt me....

An OG pressing of The Rubáiyát Of Dorothy Ashby came up on ebay a couple of days ago. I have never seen an original for sale in the UK until then. My bid was quickly outdone and it ended up going for over £200. The cover w pretty battered, a portion of the lower half was missing.

Dont tempt me....

That’s what reissues are for!

Looks to be an accideal. It's $199 here.
I pre-ordered it and can cancel closer to release date if it is not looking great. Rhino has done nice pressings of previous Atlantic box sets so fingers crossed. Not too familiar with this period of Mingus but it gives me a chance to stream some of it before release date.

I pre-ordered it and can cancel closer to release date if it is not looking great. Rhino has done nice pressings of previous Atlantic box sets so fingers crossed. Not too familiar with this period of Mingus but it gives me a chance to stream some of it before release date.
Well, I tried. Won’t allow me to place an order to a North Carolina address!

I love Cumbia Jazz - especially the A Side.

I hate Amazon but I bit as well to hope to take advantage of the accideal.

Here's an interesting one. Looks like Zev Feldman is branching out with his own label, starting with 2 Ahmad Jamal albums for RSD

View attachment 151968
View attachment 151969
Just met Zev in my local store at record store day. He thanked me for buying the bill evans set that was released today and said they have more on the way. He also mentioned this Jazz Detective label. I guess he just moved to the DC area.

The only thing I got was the Max Roach Archie Shepp- Forces, sounds good if you’re into drum and sax duo’s .
Just met Zev in my local store at record store day. He thanked me for buying the bill evans set that was released today and said they have more on the way. He also mentioned this Jazz Detective label. I guess he just moved to the DC area.

Didn't have RSD on my radar this year. Any good jazz pressings/releases to keep an eye out for?

Didn't have RSD on my radar this year. Any good jazz pressings/releases to keep an eye out for?

So this one caught me sideways. I was at my US local and saw a Ben Webster release…which would’ve definitely been on my list. Turns out it was UKRSD import to the US but gotta imagine it’s a bit cheaper in your area. In Hot House, a ‘72 live recording that was only on CD and private press LP. With the Tete Montoliu trio. Crisp, clean recording, good live crowd energy, nice simple package, LE of 500 about 30 bucks. Not the best Ben but very very solid stuff

Man its been a minute since ive been here in N&G talking music but a lot has changed and ive acquired many great jazz LP’s. So i’ve been hitting many estate sales and i wenf to one last year which was really unbelievable. So basically what happened was many records in the ad leading up to this sale but i get there this man had a garage and another room just full of vinyl. Had a lot of blue notes, coltrane, miles, hancock, Monk, but they were sellinv these at $1. I left out of there with like 100 records easy. Im literally still gling through it. Now sadly soms had damaged covers due to moisture but its all gravy. I’ll post some pics for you guys of other pick ups because it has to have been at least 3 years since ive been here and like i said definitely got some of my personal grails and i need to really get off spotify and start playing my records

Yussef Dayes has announced his first solo album, Black Classical Music (a great title!), to be released in September.

There is a standard press, indie exclusive, and an extravagant box that has crushed felt lining, embossed gatefold, signed insert, branded ProMark Drum Sticks, and branded Afro Comb (priced at £150!)

Shut the MF Front Door news!👀

Back