Jazz

Am I the only one who missed this release?

11 tracks collaborative album between artists orbiting around London's TRC and Johannesburg's Mushroom Hour label.

Featuring Alabaster de Plume, Asher Gamedze, Danalogue, Lex Blondin, Theon Cross and many others.

Came across it when I was checking out the Mushroom Hour label after falling in love with Umdali. I really like that one and Group Theory as well from that label

For several years, I mostly purchased jazz albums that are older than I am. What would be your single best recommendation for a jazz album made in the past five years?

My tastes in the past have leaned toward hard bop and modal jazz, but I have recently purchased and enjoyed Theon Cross, Samara Joy, Gregory Porter, Sons of Kemet and Kamasi Washington. Cyrus Chestnut is probably my favorite living jazz artist.

For several years, I mostly purchased jazz albums that are older than I am. What would be your single best recommendation for a jazz album made in the past five years?

My tastes in the past have leaned toward hard bop and modal jazz, but I have recently purchased and enjoyed Theon Cross, Samara Joy, Gregory Porter, Sons of Kemet and Kamasi Washington. Cyrus Chestnut is probably my favorite living jazz artist.

The Epic, released 8 years ago, would be my recommendation for a jazz album released in recent years. Makaya McCraven – Universal Beings is another I could recommend.

Source by Nubya Garcia is quite good, from a few years ago. That whole London jazz scene is 🔥 tbh.

Harish Raghaven-Calls For Action
Natural Information Society decension(out of our constrictions)
Quin Kitchener-The Other Side of Time
Kabul El’Zabar’s-America The Beautiful
The 2 Volumes of Spiritual Jazz 13 Now! from Jazzman records have heaps of good stuff to get you started
Jaimie Branch-Fly or Die Live
Jeff Parker-The New Breed and Suite For Max Brown.

New Muriel Grossmann up for grabs. Limited to 1500. Pro tip, it’s way cheaper on the RRGems website compared with Bandcamp.

E1A6158B-84EB-43E3-906A-9649A77A80F1.jpeg

New Muriel Grossmann up for grabs. Limited to 1500. Pro tip, it’s way cheaper on the RRGems website compared with Bandcamp.

View attachment 171518

Hhv will get copies too. I also noticed they have a couple of her other albums for sale with an extra 10% on top of the sale price with their Easter coupon:

RRGems pressings and jackets are top notch
By the way if anyone is ordering from RRGems also check out their recent release Kadef Abgi - Diva of Deva Loka

Celebrating my first ever not-a-reissue Strata East title, Piano Choir “Handscapes” (1st press). It was graded visually M- but two sides were definitely not close to M-, and I’ve received a partial refund. There’s a Pure Pleasure reissue of this that supposedly is quite good. Perhaps not the most sought after S-E title, but I dig it, and despite all of it not being M-, it’s pretty good overall.

As bonuses, it came with the program notes for the 1972 performance that is the source of all but one of the tracks and Boston Globe news coverage from a 1974 performance by the Piano Choir.

As double extra bonus (to me, at least), the flip side of the news article has contemporaneous movie listings for Exorcist, Serpico, and Sleeper.

0AD04B1C-55DC-4A2A-ABFE-F21A69DA21C4.jpeg
E8398578-4E51-4F13-A995-D39F335DA6EB.jpeg

Hhv will get copies too. I also noticed they have a couple of her other albums for sale with an extra 10% on top of the sale price with their Easter coupon:

RRGems pressings and jackets are top notch
By the way if anyone is ordering from RRGems also check out their recent release Kadef Abgi - Diva of Deva Loka

There are two other records to be released on the same day as Muriel's. One is new Soft Power and the second is Organic Pulse Ensemble. I'll give a listen to Kadef and something tells me I'll put an order through RRGems very soon.

Bit of an odd one but the Pizza Express Jazz Club here in London now has their own record label.

Really great idea imo, the live jazz there is always fantastic.

The first 2 albums are available for pre-order, the Scott Hamilton Quartet and Mamas Gun. Im not actually familiar with either of these BUT the Scott Hamilton group includes Dave Green, who is a legendary bassist that played on the Don Rendell/Ian Carr Quintet's Lansdowne releases.

Anyone has any information about Art Blakey - Art Blakey Big Band ?

Recorded for the Bethelehem label December 1957 in New York City, drummer Art Blakey leads a 15-piece orchestra featuring John Coltrane and Donald Byrd, plus a quintet made up of Byrd, Coltrane, Walter Bishop Jr., Wendell Marshall and Blakey on "Tippin'" and "Pristine."

There are two other records to be released on the same day as Muriel's. One is new Soft Power and the second is Organic Pulse Ensemble. I'll give a listen to Kadef and something tells me I'll put an order through RRGems very soon.

I did something bad, again.

Back