Jazz

Interesting auction for “Lot of 64 Classic Records DAT Safety Backup Tapes from the Original Master Tapes” ending today. (“Interesting” is neutral — not saying these are good or bad or worth anything)
Whether good or bad, they are stolen.

Classic never had rights to duplicate master tapes, certainly no rights to sell them.

Hobson must be really hard up for bucks.

Hopefully this will make its way to New York. Would love to catch how Shabaka interprets the same music. I agree though, Hollywood bowl has really piss poor sound, Greek Theatre is vastly better. We went for Yo-Yo Ma a few years ago and had to lean forward in our seats to even remotely hear him **we also had great seats right above the table section** so my heart hurts for people up in the bleeds
Not to mention the lax alcohol policy that leads to a more of a sports like atmosphere. I’ve seen a few people kicked out because of their over drinking.

I agree. Mal/2 is a superb record. So is Eastern Sounds, and as I am not a one-stepper (appears Craft no longer is either), that is high on my list.

The Bill Evans I am dubious about, as I am with the Miles. Those master tapes were pretty un-useable over a decade ago, and they don't get better with time. While I have no doubt these will be all-analog, the exact tape considered the 'master' now is not likely to be the original master. Probably doesn't matter very much though.
KG confirmed the Evans tapes are original and in good shape.
Hoffman bros had a fuckin conspiracy cow this week with a bogus mofi story.

KG confirmed the Evans tapes are original and in good shape.
Hoffman bros had a fuckin conspiracy cow this week with a bogus mofi story.
That's great, I planned to buy the Evans anyways, I don't have vinyl of his early stuff.

W,hat new conspiracy at the Huff board?

That's great, I planned to buy the Evans anyways, I don't have vinyl of his early stuff.

W,hat new conspiracy at the Huff board?
"Someone" (like a thread poster) was touring Mofi and the mastering engineer told them they turned down the Waltz one step job because the tapes were bad. Also since it wasn't a recut since the AP45, something must be wrong with the tape.

Paraphrasing internet bullshit is difficult...

Craft has done backflips to use the word original tapes.
We're getting something very special for $30 here.

I pre ordered all 6.
Still confirming but Mal/2 looks to be released on vinyl one time only in the US.
I would wager the tape is extremely fresh if stored correctly, which is highly likely.
The Chet mono is 60 year's since reissue and it's amazing sounding on my system.

Of interest to folks in these here parts
@Twentytwo no love for this one?
Tim Carmen is in GA-20 and this is a Jazz project.

Perhaps this has been posted before, but I just ordered a copy of “Three Waves” by Steve Kuhn Trio feat. Steve Swallow and Pete LaRoca. I wasn’t familiar with the album until recently, and I was reading up on it before buying, and I came across this interview with Steve Swallow recounting tripping on acid @ RVG’s studio while recording it. Quite funny — RVG was the first person he’d encountered using blue toilet cleaner, and he was mesmerized by the blue water in the bowl.

Perhaps this has been posted before, but I just ordered a copy of “Three Waves” by Steve Kuhn Trio feat. Steve Swallow and Pete LaRoca. I wasn’t familiar with the album until recently, and I was reading up on it before buying, and I came across this interview with Steve Swallow recounting tripping on acid @ RVG’s studio while recording it. Quite funny — RVG was the first person he’d encountered using blue toilet cleaner, and he was mesmerized by the blue water in the bowl.
I love that album! What pressing did ya end up getting?

I love that album! What pressing did ya end up getting?
‘75 Japan King from Ella in NM condition for $25+$5. A very easy add-on to an existing order that I’d been sitting on. I heard the Kuhn album a week or so ago and finally spent time looking around Discogs, and Ella had a copy that was a good fit for the last item in the order. I’m a sucker for “no obi” items from Ella. Their discount for no obi seems heftier than anyone else’s, and obis mean nothing to me. I keep them if/when I get them, but I always pull them off (gently) and keep them in a pile with other obis.

Listening to the new OJC of Workin'

Nice sturdy, glossy jacket. Rice paper inner sleeve. Pressed flat without defects. Mix sounds pretty good, a little skewed towards the upper end, cymbals sound crystal clear. Drums are prominent during fills. Mile's muted trumpet is very lifelike. I think it's very well done. Hope they all turn out like this one!

Listening to the new OJC of Workin'

Nice sturdy, glossy jacket. Rice paper inner sleeve. Pressed flat without defects. Mix sounds pretty good, a little skewed towards the upper end, cymbals sound crystal clear. Drums are prominent during fills. Mile's muted trumpet is very lifelike. I think it's very well done. Hope they all turn out like this one!
I really like it too.
I have a freaking scratch and have swap it out but it's a great product. KG takes it to TP with the RTI pressing. Preordered all of them for $33.

Anyone here have Coltrane's Sound 2010 Grundman cut, or the 2015 ORG 45RPM 2LP version? I am interested in the new Rhino KPG reissue but I hate how they changed the label design. Silly, I know. Might be better to ask this after some folks actually get their hands on a copy of the KPG, but what are the thoughts about existing reissues?

Coltrane_Sound_ProductShot.png

I think the 2010 is mono.

I have the 45 ORG pressed at Pallas.
It's good but the recording could be better IMO.
Percussion is boxed in the background.
I also have a 70s Piros and the 45 was a nice improvement overall.

I find it difficult to pay $40 for an optimal pressing.
Rhino loves them lately it seems.

Back