Jazz

Shut the MF Front Door news!đź‘€
Sigh, I wish I’d known before I threw down $700 on the Evans AP Riverside box. On the other hand, it is an exceptional release…

Last edited:
I read this as both Michael Fremer and Mobile Fidelity before I got to the next reference. That is kind of….

Sad? Odd? Sigh…

Did anyone pick up this RSD release from last year? My local had it for ÂŁ12 a few weeks ago so I chanced on it and im so glad that I did, such a fantastic session!

View attachment 173627
I think it was from 2021 but my memory may be shot. I have it, a good record.

Leon Parker is really the wild card here, relatively forgotten from his 90's Columbia recordings.

This mid 90's recording shows Mark Turner far from fully developed, but still a fine player. I would describe this as in many ways a precursor to Turner's recent ECM recordings, which are very fine.

I put all four OJC's on preorder with Amazon.
Will lock in any price reductions before release.

I am also pretty confident these will be on the next Target sale which has preorders too.

9 days until the Miles Workin' OJC drops. Boom Boom watch🔥

Mal/2 is the undisputed highlight for me bc I already have great copies of the two Bill Evans and the Craft One Step of Lateef’s Eastern Sounds. I may sell the Lateef One Step and go with the OJC if the quality of this series holds up to hoped-for standards.

Mal/2 is the undisputed highlight for me bc I already have great copies of the two Bill Evans and the Craft One Step of Lateef’s Eastern Sounds. I may sell the Lateef One Step and go with the OJC if the quality of this series holds up to hoped-for standards.
I agree. Mal/2 is a superb record. So is Eastern Sounds, and as I am not a one-stepper (appears Craft no longer is either), that is high on my list.

The Bill Evans I am dubious about, as I am with the Miles. Those master tapes were pretty un-useable over a decade ago, and they don't get better with time. While I have no doubt these will be all-analog, the exact tape considered the 'master' now is not likely to be the original master. Probably doesn't matter very much though.

Last edited:
I agree. Mal/2 is a superb record. So is Eastern Sounds, and as I am not a one-stepper (appears Craft no longer is either), that is high on my list.

The Bill Evand I am dubious about, as I am with the Miles. Those master tapes were pretty un-useable over a decade ago, and they don't get better with time. While I have no doubt these will be all-analog, the exact tape considered the 'master' now is not likely to be the original master. Probably doesn't matter very much though.
Craft goes out of their way to say these are cut from the original tapes on their website.

Craft goes out of their way to say these are cut from the original tapes on their website.
I know that. The question is what is currently considered the master.

Once the true first generation master tape goes out of service, another tape, presumably the best available, is marked 'master'.

Much of this is very public knowledge. If a master was in such bad condition it was un-useable a decade ago, it isn't better now. So another tape will be the proxy for that tape in the label's archive.

I know that. The question is what is currently considered the master.

Once the true first generation master tape goes out of service, another tape, presumably the best available, is marked 'master'.

Much of this is very public knowledge. If a master was in such bad condition it was un-useable a decade ago, it isn't better now. So another tape will be the proxy for that tape in the label's archive.
I guess I don't see who deems a tape un-useable. The internet can have a lot of rumors.
So who really knows?

I hate shows at the Hollywood Bowl but I may have to make an exception

Hopefully this will make its way to New York. Would love to catch how Shabaka interprets the same music. I agree though, Hollywood bowl has really piss poor sound, Greek Theatre is vastly better. We went for Yo-Yo Ma a few years ago and had to lean forward in our seats to even remotely hear him **we also had great seats right above the table section** so my heart hurts for people up in the bleeds

I guess I don't see who deems a tape un-useable. The internet can have a lot of rumors.
So who really knows?
The record label owning the tape does, usually when the tape is accessed for some reason, usually someone requesting it for a project.

So, the record label and/or an external contractor accessing the tape really knows.

No one actually 'deems' a tape unuseable. They open the box and the oxide flies off, or see that the lamination has come apart, or that the tape is so badly stretched or damaged it can't be played. So, that gets written on the box and marked as 'unuseable'. That box goes off to the historic archive and a backup tape or tape sourced from a subsidiary country, whatever is best, goes into the slot for the 'master' tape.

Did you know, for example, that virtually all Impulse master tapes went up in smoke, as did a significant number of Atlantic master tapes? Did you know that for most Impulse and Atlantic titles there are currently 'master tapes' on file?

It comes down to the definition of the word 'master' in this context. The definition (look it up) is the part that contains all the component parts that make up the final product. It is the part that all copies and revisions are based on. Nowhere in that is any inference that it must be the first produced.

I hate shows at the Hollywood Bowl but I may have to make an exception

But for the fact that I flew to Berkeley for Phish two weeks ago and flew to LA this week for Four Tet with Squidsoup (ridiculously cool light design/show guy), I’d be all over this even if Hollywood Bowl isn’t ideal.

EDIT: I forgot trip to Seattle for Sigur Ros in the fall. Thankfully, my wife is with me on this LA trip or I’d be in the music doghouse.

Interesting auction for “Lot of 64 Classic Records DAT Safety Backup Tapes from the Original Master Tapes” ending today. (“Interesting” is neutral — not saying these are good or bad or worth anything)

Back