Jazz

Does anyone have P-Vine’s 2019 reissue of Clifford Jordan “In the World”?

If so, I would appreciate your opinions on sound quality.

Fwiw, in May, P-Vine is releasing another version, but it’s two discs @ 45rpm, which means Side B will be one 4-minute song, and that’s ludicrous generally, but especially for me bc I’m trying to get rid of my 2@45rpm albums.

Regardless, this post is also a PSA if you’re at all interested in the forthcoming release. Prices are extremely variable, and I want to let folks know that Dusty Groove has it at $39, which is $15 lower than the next lowest I’ve seen (LitA @ $54).

I have an extremely reluctant preorder with DG for this 2023 reissue, which I may cancel for the reasons above.

Fwiw, in May, P-Vine is releasing another version, but it’s two discs @ 45rpm, which means Side B will be one 4-minute song, and that’s ludicrous generally, but especially for me bc I’m trying to get ride of my 2@45rpm albums.

Regardless, this post is also a PSA if you’re at all interested in the forthcoming release. Prices are extremely variable, and I want to let folks know that Dusty Groove has it at $39, which is $15 lower than the next lowest I’ve seen (LitA @ $54).

I have an extremely reluctant preorder with DG for this 2023 reissue, which I may cancel for the reasons above.
ah man....i was excited for this one but didn't realize it was a 2x45...

I have a hard time with multiple disc albums. I bought the Elvin Jones at Pookie’s Pub and found it to have 3 discs. Six sides is too much flipping for me to fully enjoy in a sitting.

Fwiw, in May, P-Vine is releasing another version, but it’s two discs @ 45rpm, which means Side B will be one 4-minute song, and that’s ludicrous generally, but especially for me bc I’m trying to get rid of my 2@45rpm albums.

I do...I remember it being acceptable but unremarkable, IMO this was the last time P-Vine was doing quality reissues - they have clearly moved their product to Taiwan or somewhere else in china and everything of late is just truly mediocre on packaging and SQ - although they are literally flooding the market with crazy rare titles, they are almost entirely vinyl rips (they usually say on the obi strip) and direct print jackets. In general, I've given up on P-vine although the titles are amazing -

I also have an original Japanese press on Trio from 1972 that sounds quite a bit better and worth seeking out if the prices are close - most of the Japanese strata reissues from the 70s are quite good although have gotten quite rare and expensive

btw, you can buy direct from them now, they have quite a good webshop and shipping is reasonable and they remove the tax, so things are much cheaper

I do...I remember it being acceptable but unremarkable, IMO this was the last time P-Vine was doing quality reissues - they have clearly moved their product to Taiwan or somewhere else in china and everything of late is just truly mediocre on packaging and SQ - although they are literally flooding the market with crazy rare titles, they are almost entirely vinyl rips (they usually say on the obi strip) and direct print jackets. In general, I've given up on P-vine although the titles are amazing -

I also have an original Japanese press on Trio from 1972 that sounds quite a bit better and worth seeking out if the prices are close - most of the Japanese strata reissues from the 70s are quite good although have gotten quite rare and expensive

btw, you can buy direct from them now, they have quite a good webshop and shipping is reasonable and they remove the tax, so things are much cheaper
Thank you for the helpful info. I’m familiar w P-Vine but am surprised to hear about a shift in quality. The only P-Vine release I have is Nathan Davis - If from 2005, which is fine quality but far from one of ND’s best albums.

Unfortunately, prices for any old copy of Jordan “In the World” are very high. Even the 1972 UK with cover art that’s a disgraceful abomination is minimum $130 shipped to the US.

y
Thank you for the helpful info. I’m familiar w P-Vine but am surprised to hear about a shift in quality. The only P-Vine release I have is Nathan Davis - If from 2005, which is fine quality but far from one of ND’s best albums.

Unfortunately, prices for any old copy of Jordan “In the World” are very high. Even the 1972 UK with cover art that’s a disgraceful abomination is minimum $130 shipped to the US.
yeah...unfortunately they are making an inferior product these days, but their obi-game is killing it, which I think is driving a lot of the sales - I have dozens of them purchased over the years and their lineup has just been killing with rare titles, but everything before 2020 was a tip-on sleeve and mostly Japanese production...its just disappointing because if they wanted to do high quality on packaging they clearly can, I've stopped buying, but did buy the edbl record, which is quite good

Worth sharing this here.

The next Third Man Vault Package is Miles Davis Live At The Fillmore East which includes a 7” of Muriel Grossmann plays Miles.

View attachment 171144
Hey @Yer Ol' Uncle D any boots of this roaming around, I know this is one of the shows used for the NYA series. Wondering if you’ve ever heard a tape of the full show. Wondering if they used the same recording engineer etc…

Anyone seeing a track listing for the Miles set?

Edit: Probably similar to this with 1 or 2 less tracks

Anyone seeing a track listing for the Miles set?

Edit: Probably similar to this with 1 or 2 less tracks
I think I actually own that. I should pull it out and give it a listen.

It's been a while since I've updated the Jazz Reissues (+Few New Releases) spreadsheet. I thought I would at least get some of the best known/most desired titles together. DM me if you notice anything that should be included.
Thank you for even thinking of this. There are so many reissues and new releases that I lost track of what’s coming up. The change from 2020-2021 — when many reissues sold out virtually instantly bc the pipeline was pretty limited and pandemic supply/demand skewed — is welcome but a bit jarring. It’s not as important to keep track now bc almost nothing sells out quickly (except Marley UHQR and a few other premium items).

Pretty psyched about this recent pickup in minty condition. Apparently, Blue Note rejected this in mid 1960s, and it wasn’t released until 1983. Woody Saw with a world-class lineup (incl Larry Young on piano). It also exists w/ a bonus track under the title, Cassandranite.

A couple online reviews say Shaw is tentative in some solos on this album. I don’t hear that, but I am not a musician and may lack the chops to really spot that kind of thing. What I do hear is killer music, and that’s what I care about. I suppose I can hear that the style/voice that Shaw became known for later in his career is not fully formed here, but I don’t view that as a negative if his playing is otherwise good/great.

I sometimes think reviewers follow what previous reviews say, or one reviewer’s opinion becomes canon/gospel over time regardless of other views. I’m not saying that’s going on here, and I’d actually appreciate if anyone more knowledgeable here could point out to me instances where Shaw seems tentative.

C55391B4-B41B-4332-8E04-77B51646F60B.jpeg

Pretty psyched about this recent pickup in minty condition. Apparently, Blue Note rejected this in mid 1960s, and it wasn’t released until 1983. Woody Saw with a world-class lineup (incl Larry Young on piano). It also exists w/ a bonus track under the title, Cassandranite.

A couple online reviews say Shaw is tentative in some solos on this album. I don’t hear that, but I am not a musician and may lack the chops to really spot that kind of thing. What I do hear is killer music, and that’s what I care about. I suppose I can hear that the style/voice that Shaw became known for later in his career is not fully formed here, but I don’t view that as a negative if his playing is otherwise good/great.

I sometimes think reviewers follow what previous reviews say, or one reviewer’s opinion becomes canon/gospel over time regardless of other views. I’m not saying that’s going on here, and I’d actually appreciate if anyone more knowledgeable here could point out to me instances where Shaw seems tentative.

View attachment 171170
This is not a bad record at all. But, many of the tunes Woody re-recorded later in much superior versions.

I would agree that Woddy can be tentative here, or perhaps a better word might be under-developed. In solos, he often uses stacatto phrases or runs that end nowhere and seem under-developed. Places in his solos almost seem like holding spots, where the next idea hasn't come to mind. The playing is fine, but the originality and phrasing aren't very original.

In a more experienced artist than Woody was at this point, you might say he was holding back. In this case, he just might not have been ready yet, or might have been intimidated by the players in the room.

Not a terrible record by far. For many players it would be a very good one. For Woddy, average, but enjoyable. Rosewood it is not.

Back