Jazz

Yea, I’m ok with doing it on my own. I want specific albums.
Makes sense! Will be cheaper too!

This mono series is great if you can still find them for cheap:

Think someone posted a few in the deals thread. Lots of other recs too for most of his more popular albums.

Makes sense! Will be cheaper too!

This mono series is great if you can still find them for cheap:

Think someone posted a few in the deals thread. Lots of other recs too for most of his more popular albums.
Or I could just ask this guy what he thinks I should get. image.jpg

Ah maybe it’s just tax then. CD Japan has a 1,000 yen off coupon if you spend 10,000 yen or more too at the moment plus rewards points.
This goes back a few weeks from the discussion of the Sony JP “Jazz Analog Legendary Collection” from HMV v. CD Japan. I went with HMV bc they had Round About Midnight and checked the box for them to tell me if the shipping estimate changed.

Today they came back and said the 4500 yen estimate has been changed to 8000 yen. Fuck that. HMV used to have dirt cheap shipping, and they bumped it last year sometime, but 8000 is a joke. I canceled the HMV order and am probably done with them if they’re now using shipping cost as a profit center.

CD Japan ships 4 LPs Fedex Priority for 4260 yen. No estimates with waits to find out actual shipping cost. I ordered through them but had to forego Round About Midnight. I’ll pick up the 2013 KG mono at some point.

This goes back a few weeks from the discussion of the Sony JP “Jazz Analog Legendary Collection” from HMV v. CD Japan. I went with HMV bc they had Round About Midnight and checked the box for them to tell me if the shipping estimate changed.

Today they came back and said the 4500 yen estimate has been changed to 8000 yen. Fuck that. HMV used to have dirt cheap shipping, and they bumped it last year sometime, but 8000 is a joke. I canceled the HMV order and am probably done with them if they’re now using shipping cost as a profit center.

CD Japan ships 4 LPs Fedex Priority for 4260 yen. No estimates with waits to find out actual shipping cost. I ordered through them but had to forego Round About Midnight. I’ll pick up the 2013 KG mono at some point.
Yeah I pre-ordered 4 Who LPs from CD Japan last week and the shipping was 4264 yen, which seemed very reasonable. My first order from them so I can only be hopeful at this point, but all indications are they are not only reputable but do a great job with their packaging.

Yeah I pre-ordered 4 Who LPs from CD Japan last week and the shipping was 4264 yen, which seemed very reasonable. My first order from them so I can only be hopeful at this point, but all indications are they are not only reputable but do a great job with their packaging.
Meanwhile, I just checked HMV’s Discogs account (Record Shop Shibuya), and they ship 4 LPs for 4640 yen.

Meanwhile, I just checked HMV’s Discogs account (Record Shop Shibuya), and they ship 4 LPs for 4640 yen.
I bought from record shop shibuya on discogs not realizing it was HMV. They had two of the disk union titles for more than reasonable prices given the current prices. But CD Japan is also solid. I prefer them over HMV Because of the shipping too. And record city’s shipping is dirt cheap in comparison to @Russ I ’s point. They just never seem to carry the new reissues I want

Thanks for this heads-up. I've placed two orders with HMV since September and think I was quoted 4,560 yen to ship 4 records both times. I just checked, and for the first order (4 TBM reissues) I was actually charged 6.700 yen to ship. For the second order (4 Jazz Analog Legendary Collection titles), which shipped just a couple of days ago, I was actually charged 8,000 yen--more than $60 and nearly double the quoted price.

That 20 percent rebate coupon keeps pulling me back in. I was just about to place my third order with HMV when I read your post, but now I realize that my 2,440 yen discount doesn't even cover the discrepancy between their quoted and actual shipping price.

Last edited:
Thanks for this heads-up I've placed two orders with HMV since September and think I was quoted 4,560 yen to ship 4 records both times. I just checked, and for the first order (4 TBM reissues) I was actually charged 6.700 yen to ship. For the second order (4 Jazz Analog Legendary Collection titles), which shipped just a couple of days ago, I was actually charged 8,000 yen--more than $60 and nearly double the quoted price.

That 20 percent rebate coupon keeps pulling me back in. I was just about to place my third order with HMV when I read your post, but now I realize that my 2,440 yen discount doesn't even cover the discrepancy between their quoted and actual shipping price.
Part of HMV’s checkout process is a not-obvious box to check whether you want them to notify you of changes in the shipping estimate. I always check it as a gatekeeper for this exact issue.

They contact you if it‘s higher than the estimate w/ an option to approve or cancel the order. For CDs, the estimate at checkout is usually higher than the actual, and they just ship without notifying you in that situation.

New Muriel Grossmann is up for pre order. Super limited 300 run, coming from the US this time around. Muriel messaged to say that she has a couple she’s selling herself but it’s €50 plus postage. She’s also holding a few back for signed copies on Bandcamp next week (likely €50 plus postage again).

The cost through Passerine Records Bandcamp (the route I took) is 28USD with an eye watering 22USD postage. So 50USD for a single LP. Really tough price point but Muriel has been consistently brilliant.

Dusty Groove also has some pre orders up for sale.

@Mr Moore might be interested, I believe it was you that first brought Muriel to my attention way back when.

AFB2F402-7C1C-4248-9270-A6F71631D6F6.jpeg

New Muriel Grossmann is up for pre order. Super limited 300 run, coming from the US this time around. Muriel messaged to say that she has a couple she’s selling herself but it’s €50 plus postage. She’s also holding a few back for signed copies on Bandcamp next week (likely €50 plus postage again).

The cost through Passerine Records Bandcamp (the route I took) is 28USD with an eye watering 22USD postage. So 50USD for a single LP. Really tough price point but Muriel has been consistently brilliant.

Dusty Groove also has some pre orders up for sale.

@Mr Moore might be interested, I believe it was you that first brought Muriel to my attention way back when.

View attachment 163958
is this not going to come out on RR Gems?

is this not going to come out on RR Gems?
This is an album she recorded in 2010 (I think). Seems a little random that it's coming out now and on this label, but the more music from her the better. This is a tough one for me though cos as well as the ridiculous postage I'm bound to get hit with high custom fees too...

Oh didn't realize it's an older one - I think I may pass as well. Asked her if she's doing anything from Europe and she said the only are from her in Ibiza (30 copies)

This is an album she recorded in 2010 (I think). Seems a little random that it's coming out now and on this label, but the more music from her the better. This is a tough one for me though cos as well as the ridiculous postage I'm bound to get hit with high custom fees too...
She mentioned in the past that she was keen to get some of her old music out on vinyl given the appreciation she has had for her earlier releases (Golden Rule, etc). The Natural Time album that she released on vinyl last year was originally a CD release from 2021 and the Elevation compilation took tracks from these earlier CD only releases too.

Looks like this latest one is continuing this trend. I'm in the same boat as you btw, I put the order in but it was a tough pill to swallow, crazy expensive and it was a shame to see that the few copies they have that will be shipping from Europe will actually be priced higher.

PS Can somebody post a link to the listing? I can't see it either on her or Passerine's Bandcamp?
Try this one mate. Its a weird link as it wasn't showing when I checked this morning. The link on their Instagram is a dead link. The only way I found it was through their instagram story link. I think they might have accidentally set it to private.

Try this one mate. Its a weird link as it wasn't showing when I checked this morning. The link on their Instagram is a dead link. The only way I found it was through their instagram story link. I think they might have accidentally set it to private.

I don't understand how Bandcamp works. Sometimes taxes shows, sometimes not. I'd rather pay them upfront than to have to pay when it stops at French customs. Weird.

Back