Jazz

It doesn't sound like her best to me - a little bit disjointed, and certainly not as fluent as her later stuff. So I might sit this one out. I've been thinning out my collection recently and the number one type of record I've got rid of is the completist album - the album by a group that I bought to have all/most of their stuff, and I just realised wasn't good enough to keep. (If I'm being hyper-critical I must say I found her last album a bit same-y too and really didn't like the last song on it). Hmmm

To even this out, here's a few recent discoveries that I think are absolutely top-notch.

I think this came out in 2021 but I only just got it on wax and it's absolutely fantastic. Top drawer jazz from South Africa, and a great pressing.

I liked the last Binker & Moses record but I didn't love it. Instead, I loved this which is basically Binker & Moses meets Basement Jaxx. This should have made my 2022 top 10, for sure.

Finally, both one to look forward to from James Brandon Lewis in a few weeks - and a live album from him that just hit Spotify and is utterly fabulous. He's got some more coming out this year that are just as good, if not better.

To even this out, here's a few recent discoveries that I think are absolutely top-notch.

I think this came out in 2021 but I only just got it on wax and it's absolutely fantastic. Top drawer jazz from South Africa, and a great pressing.

I liked the last Binker & Moses record but I didn't love it. Instead, I loved this which is basically Binker & Moses meets Basement Jaxx. This should have made my 2022 top 10, for sure.

Finally, both one to look forward to from James Brandon Lewis in a few weeks - and a live album from him that just hit Spotify and is utterly fabulous. He's got some more coming out this year that are just as good, if not better.

I'll definitely pick up UMDALI

UMDALI is great!

The new JBLewis is gonna be fan-fugging-tastic! I've absolutely loved everything that's dropped from it so far.

@Selaws (or anybody else) —any thoughts on this set?

Amazon product ASIN B089M6P5RT

It's a pretty great box set. I think there's some great albums, but I'm sure @Selaws can give a much better overview of the content. I know he has a few OG's as well. It's well mastered and pressed, sounds really good. If I remember rightly it was done AAA by Gearbox. The sleeves aren't particularly great but overall a really quality box set.

Amazon product ASIN B089M6P5RT
I had it right when it came out. That was a mistake, it really underwhelmed me.

First - I am not a huge Tubby fan. He always seemed to me a straight up B level bop player who really would not have made it in the NYC scene of the time. It shows on the 2 records in this set recorded quickly in NYC. Rahsaan really tries hard not to show up Tubby, but he does.

Second - up until 100% Proof, the recordings sound thin. The mastering is good (it always is from Gearbox), the pressings are fine.

Third - 100% Proof and Mexican Green are the major works. The Japanese reissue of about a decade ago of Mexican Green is better IMO.

Fourth - The Orchestra really is awful, even as a curio.

Considering what was on the UK scene at the time, IMO Tubby is quite over-rated, and his late 50's Tempo recordings surpass the more commercially pitched Fontana recordings.

Amazon product ASIN B089M6P5RT]
@Andy hit the nail on the head.

It's a killer set and really well done. The box is thick with a matte finish with textured taped edges, with a thick inner box that slides out with the records in. There's a decent 12x12 booklet that has some great content and photos.

I have to disagree with @RHANDMJ. The records themselves are really well done in my opinion. Gearbox typically knocks it out of the park and has done so here, using the original tapes and some fantastic vintage equipment that was custom-made for Decca in the 50's. I'm fortunate enough to have original pressings of 8 of the 11 albums in the set and earlier last year I conducted a side-by-side comparison of each (I live a thrilling life) and they really do hold up incredibly well. Perhaps not as punchy as the OG's but thats me being picky more than anything, without a comparison I wouldn't have known. Worth looking at the Discogs reviews as well, unanimously good from what I remember and the set made a lot of 'Top Releases Of The Year' list back in 2019.

Content-wise the albums represent a good mix. Again, my view differs from Rhandmj where Tubby's concerned. He was Britains leading tenorman for a reason and he was so well renown that when he visited New York for the first time all the biggest names turned up to hear him play including Miles Davis. The next night he played again and the whole club was taken up by jazz musicians as word got around of his first performance. That's a pretty impressive feat imo.

For what its worth, my favourites in the set are Late Spot At Scott's & Down In The Village (A 2 part set really), Tubbs In N.Y., and Mexican Green. The Orchestra is the worst of all Tubby dates imo, its just cheesy pop tunes with little to offer.

Sonny Rollins 3 LP Contemporary Records boxset coming this summer.

Sonny Rollins 3 LP Contemporary Records boxset coming this summer.

I commented on the Definitive Audiophile Pressings thread wondering if this is just a repackaged version of their 2018 box set, but with the addition of the "Sonny Rollins and the Contemporary Leaders" and a booklet?

For what it's worth, I have the 2018 set, and its fantastic. I have since acquired an original 1958 UK pressing (which also sounds great) and there's little between them, so I personally think Craft did a great job!

I commented on the Definitive Audiophile Pressings thread wondering if this is just a repackaged version of their 2018 box set, but with the addition of the "Sonny Rollins and the Contemporary Leaders" and a booklet?

For what it's worth, I have the 2018 set, and its fantastic. I have since acquired an original 1958 UK pressing (which also sounds great) and there's little between them, so I personally think Craft did a great job!
It’s not. The Craft box was digital. This is AAA cut by Bernie pressed at RTI

Back