Jazz

I took a vinyl sabbatical in 2019 and didn't realize Craft reissued the Miles Davis Prestige sessions as a 6LP set pressed at RTI.
1635719167379.jpeg

Anyone have a word one one still at retail price? I might've missed the train here but wanted to ask anyway.

If any of you jazz fans are feeling particularly flush this month, Superfly have listed a few box sets (going quickly) and I recommend this Charlie Parker one. Its a 6LP set of his complete Dial recordings, including outtakes, with each LP being housed in a printed inner sleeve of specially commissioned artwork, plus an extenisve booklet. Each one was designed by a different artist after they listened to the session. Superfly have it for 50Euro which I think is a decent amount and around the going rate.

The Ike Quebec The Complete Blue Note 45 Sessions box arrived today, which in itself is remarkable in that it came from France and was ordered on Wednesday!! I’m halfway through it and really digging the very cool vibe. The quality of the recordings/pressings is top-notch. Really enjoying this so thank you @Selaws for the heads-up about Superfly’s listings. I’m on their mailing list now….

Last edited:
it's an independent coffee shop that has hundreds of new records in stock: Drip Columbia |

five points location. i can probably snag it for you and pack it properly if they are iffy on shipping.
damn. i gotta get my coffee shop to start doing this...

@DJSJ i will say with this set, a few annoying things...no album artwork is included. everything is in that accordion type package, so there aren't any sleeves/art for each album. it's digitally sourced if that matters to you but it still sounds great. it's been a minute since i played it, but i believe the songs are in chronological order. they aren't pressed according to the actual albums/tracklistings.

damn. i gotta get my coffee shop to start doing this...

@DJSJ i will say with this set, a few annoying things...no album artwork is included. everything is in that accordion type package. it's digitally sourced if that matters to you. still sounds great. it's been a minute since i played it, but i believe the songs are in chronological order. they aren't pressed according to the actual albums/tracklistings.
Most of that's fine with me. Good to know about the sourcing. Ideally Analogue Productions would reissue the individual albums but who knows when if/when they'll get around to it. Was too broke last time around.

Most of that's fine with me. Good to know about the sourcing. Ideally Analogue Productions would reissue the individual albums but who knows when if/when they'll get around to it. Was too broke last time around.
packaging is probably the most annoying part for me, and i don't listen to it as much as i probably would/should if they were in sleeves with the original album art. i may end up just buying some spare empty sleeves to put them in on my regular miles section.

The Ike Quebec The Complete Blue Note 45 Sessions box arrived today, which in itself is remarkable in that it came from France and was ordered on Wednesday!! I’m halfway through it and really digging the very cool vibe. The quality of the recordings/pressings is top-notch. Really enjoying this so thank you @Selaws for the heads-up about Superfly’s listings. I’m on their mailing list now….
My bud powell mosaic box arrived in Dublin today also. Thanks @Selaws for the heads up

apparently a jeff parker album is imminent

can't seem to find any other info about it?
It's up for pre-order on Rough Trade, with some more info
Jeff Parker’s Forfolks a new album of solo guitar works—will be released on December 10, 2021 via International Anthem and Nonesuch Records. The album includes interpretations of Thelonious Monk’s “Ugly Beauty” and the standard “My Ideal,” plus six original compositions including "Four Folks" (a tune first written by Parker and recorded in 1995) and "La Jetée" (a tune he recorded with Isotope 217 in 1997 and with Tortoise in 1998). The four totally new original compositions are loop-driven, stratiform works that marry melodic improvisation with electronic textures. The album was recorded by Graeme Gibson at Sholo Studio in Altadena, California (aka Jeff’s house) over two days in June 2021.

Last edited:
might be of interest to some of y'all who don't have it already:
I thought I read somewhere, on Instragram or Reddit, that this variant wasn't available to the general public. It was pressed for people that originally ordered the album but had to wait months to receive it due to manufacturing delays. I swear someone from Luaka Bop wrote that online.

Edit: nevermind, it says on the listing that this is only available to those who purchased the album already from their website or bandcamp.

I thought I read somewhere, on Instragram or Reddit, that this variant wasn't available to the general public. It was pressed for people that originally ordered the album but had to wait months to receive it due to manufacturing delays. I swear someone from Luaka Bop wrote that online.

Edit: nevermind, it says on the listing that this is only available to those who purchased the album already from their website or bandcamp.
Yea--it does say that now on the listing (didn't before). Wonder how they check it? Maybe they cross-reference the email addresses (or just put that to scare people away from trying to order it).

Back