Jazz

As a quick plug for an artist that hasn't been released as a leader on vinyl yet:

Johnathan Blake is a just a master class in drumming. I've seen him live about a dozen times (incl. with Dr Lonnie Smith, Ravi Coltrane, etc) and he is one of the most generous drummers -- while still maintaining a distinct voice and approach -- that I've seen. He can be technical, modern, traditional and so effortlessly in and out of the pocket you might find yourself behind a few beats, catching up...and wondering how the hell you (and the whole band) got there. He's a joy and one of my favorite things about live jazz right now.

His new album is terrific. Steaming, digital, and CD. Joel Ross, Immanuel Wilkins, David Virelles, and Dezron Douglas as well. So many talents its breathtaking. While I sure as heck hope this see vinyl... It's really worth a listen.

As a quick plug for an artist that hasn't been released as a leader on vinyl yet:

Johnathan Blake is a just a master class in drumming. I've seen him live about a dozen times (incl. with Dr Lonnie Smith, Ravi Coltrane, etc) and he is one of the most generous drummers -- while still maintaining a distinct voice and approach -- that I've seen. He can be technical, modern, traditional and so effortlessly in and out of the pocket you might find yourself behind a few beats, catching up...and wondering how the hell you (and the whole band) got there. He's a joy and one of my favorite things about live jazz right now.

His new album is terrific. Steaming, digital, and CD. Joel Ross, Immanuel Wilkins, David Virelles, and Dezron Douglas as well. So many talents its breathtaking. While I sure as heck hope this see vinyl... It's really worth a listen.

I saw Kenny Barron a few weeks ago and Johnathan Blake was supposed to be the drummer. I was excited about it but then someone else was subbed in for him even though he was on the bill. Was a bit bummed it was someone else even though the other guy was pretty good.

I saw Kenny Barron a few weeks ago and Johnathan Blake was supposed to be the drummer. I was excited about it but then someone else was subbed in for him even though he was on the bill. Was a bit bummed it was someone else even though the other guy was pretty good.
Yeah... But to see Kenny Barron 👀👍

This might interest some of you. I managed to get a huge 'want' this week, Emcee 5 - Let's Take Five!, and there's some interesting history to it that I recently read in Ian Carr's biography.

The Emcee 5 were a group of Northern musicians that included Mike Carr (trumpeter Ian Carr's brother). They would regularly perform in Newcastle and after Ian Carr had served in the army and travelled across Europe, he went back to Newcastle and 'auditioned' to be in the group. He gained a spot and the group moved South to London. One day he got chatting to producer Denis Preston and played him a tape of one of their live performances. They got halfway through the first song before Preston asked if they would record for him (under Columbia's label). They jumped at the chance and 'Let's Take Five!' was the result and their only studio performance. However, the recording had a much greater impact in the years to come. In 1965 Ian was part of Don Rendell's group and they were looking to get backed by a label to record an album, with little success. Ian went back to Preston (using the connection that he made during the Emcee 5 days) and explained their situation and he agreed to record them in what would become the most famous and sought-after British jazz releases ('Shades Of Blue', 'Dusk Fire', 'Phase 3', 'Live', 'Change Is'). Rendell was so grateful that he added Ian's name to the group title and 'The Don Rendell / Ian Carr Quintet' was born.

IMG_9622.JPG

The interesting thing about this release is the recording quality. The saxes are way back, very muffled, while McCoy, Elvin and Jimmy Garrison are clear as a bell. It certainly isn't an easy listen, whch is a shame, and while I can't tell for sure, the vinyl is almost certainly digitally sourced, due to presumably extensive work in the digital domain to make it passable. A historic and iconic release, but not going to set any sonic standards.
I just gave this album a listen, and you're absolutely right. Elvin's drums in particular are SUPER clear and loud. It's nice to be able to hear his complex playing in such detail, but the experience of the whole group performance definitely suffers from it. It's an interesting listen though, but the recording quality is not on par with the music.

I just gave this album a listen, and you're absolutely right. Elvin's drums in particular are SUPER clear and loud. It's nice to be able to hear his complex playing in such detail, but the experience of the whole group performance definitely suffers from it. It's an interesting listen though, but the recording quality is not on par with the music.
someone on another jazz board posted a picture of Animal in comparison. thought that was funny ☺️

I was listening through some of the Acoustic Sounds Verve albums I hadn't paid much attention to, and this Ray Charles/Quincy Jones record really blew me away

I think I instantly skipped over it since in my mind Ray Charles isn't a jazz artist, and I've never been much of a big band fan, but this record might have changed that. Definitely gotta pick up a copy while they're still available, this shit swiiiiiiiings.

I was listening through some of the Acoustic Sounds Verve albums I hadn't paid much attention to, and this Ray Charles/Quincy Jones record really blew me away

I think I instantly skipped over it since in my mind Ray Charles isn't a jazz artist, and I've never been much of a big band fan, but this record might have changed that. Definitely gotta pick up a copy while they're still available, this shit swiiiiiiiings.

This is good to know! Pretty sure I bought this but haven't given it a listen. Guess I will..... (but now I'll have to find the blasted thing!).

Look at the releases set for 10 Dec 2021! 😯

December 10, 2021
Duke Ellington & John Coltrane — Duke Ellington & John ColtraneAcoustic Sounds
Grant Green - The Latin BitBN Tone Poet
Herbie Nichols - The Prophetic Herbie Nichols, Vol. 1 & 2Blue Note Classics
Jimmy Smith - Home Cookin'Blue Note Classics
John Coltrane - CrescentAcoustic Sounds
John Coltrane - Live at the Village VanguardAcoustic Sounds
John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman — John Coltrane & Johnny HartmanAcoustic Sounds
Kenny Cox - Introducing Kenny Cox and The Contemporary Jazz QuintetBlue Note Classics
Reuben Wilson - Love BugBlue Note Classics
Sonny Red - Out of the BlueBN Tone Poet
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - First Flight to Tokyo: The Lost 1961 RecordingsBlue Note

fry-mymoney.gif

Last edited:
If any of you jazz fans are feeling particularly flush this month, Superfly have listed a few box sets (going quickly) and I recommend this Charlie Parker one. Its a 6LP set of his complete Dial recordings, including outtakes, with each LP being housed in a printed inner sleeve of specially commissioned artwork, plus an extenisve booklet. Each one was designed by a different artist after they listened to the session. Superfly have it for 50Euro which I think is a decent amount and around the going rate.

If any of you jazz fans are feeling particularly flush this month, Superfly have listed a few box sets (going quickly) and I recommend this Charlie Parker one. Its a 6LP set of his complete Dial recordings, including outtakes, with each LP being housed in a printed inner sleeve of specially commissioned artwork, plus an extenisve booklet. Each one was designed by a different artist after they listened to the session. Superfly have it for 50Euro which I think is a decent amount and around the going rate.

Damn Thank you. Grabbed the Ike Quebec Blue Note box set.

Damn Thank you. Grabbed the Ike Quebec Blue Note box set.
Oh man, you will not be disappointed with that, its one that I have and it's killer. In fact, it's one of the better Mosaic's IMO simply for the fact that you would have to get all of the 45's in order to have the music otherwise (as opposed to the sets that just collate the albums).

I was actually tempted by the Bud Powell set but I already have some of the albums that it collates, so this is one of the rare instances where im showing restraint.

Oh man, you will not be disappointed with that, its one that I have and it's killer. In fact, it's one of the better Mosaic's IMO simply for the fact that you would have to get all of the 45's in order to have the music otherwise (as opposed to the sets that just collate the albums).

I was actually tempted by the Bud Powell set but I already have some of the albums that it collates, so this is one of the rare instances where im showing restraint.
Thank you for the heads-up, and your assessment of the set. Makes me feel a bit better about a very impulsive buy! (And bravo on your constraint!)

Back