Jazz

I’m going to Sapporo for a week in October to visit my wife while she’s working at Hokkaido University. Hopefully I will have time to hit up a few record stores but I’ve been getting into Japanese Jazz and it’s dangerous.

Also, if anyone has any tips or places to go/see there... super excited!

This one is growing on me in a big way. My novice ears are hearing it as a kind of a sister album to Joel Ross' KingMaker. Has a similar warmth and playfulness to me, as well as the very obvious connection of Ross and his vibes - some of the runs that he and Aldana on her sax do in unison are remarkable. Frida Kahlo's life is the central theme and inspiration.

Damn. I did not need to know about this. How many other " 's 5ive " are in the series? I have Rosie's and Nubya's, didn't know there were others.

Also Nubya's just got repressed. They keep doing small batches I think which subsequently sell out pretty quickly.

Do you really want to know? Do you REALLY, REALLY, want to know?

I’m going to Sapporo for a week in October to visit my wife while she’s working at Hokkaido University. Hopefully I will have time to hit up a few record stores but I’ve been getting into Japanese Jazz and it’s dangerous.

Hokkaido? This is all you need to know!

6474 6475

It's the Hokkaido mascot!
It's based on spherical moss that is popular in the area but whose name sounds similar to slang for erection. So you get a moss mascot with a boner! The female ones are even more confusing....

giphy.gif

Nice, is this your first time in Japan ?? I've not made it up to Hokkaido yet , the country side is supposed to beautiful but been a few times in Osaka and surrounds as my wife is Japanese , so there is that, You'll have a great time, it's such a unique country . October should be good weather too, Hopefully !! I'm going over mid September for a month this year for my Mother In Law's 60TH and my wife's sister has a baby due in a few weeks as well .

Ok not so bad, since I'm allergic to CDs. Will just need to find a copy of Triforce *looks at discogs* *faints*
I had so many opportunities to buy this record and always thought that it will stay in store for a while. It's now out of stock and for sale on Discogs at 100€! Good job Skalap...

You think thats annoying, imagine buying it through Bandcamp, heading over to 'cogs and seeing the outrageous price but being thankful that yours is on route.

I waited. And Waited. And Waited. Eventually emailed Jazz Re:freshed and it turns out it was a glitch on their bandcamp and was actually fully OOS. They refunded but Im still left with the digital files, as much as I like listening to it im still annoyed about that missing record!

I had so many opportunities to buy this record and always thought that it will stay in store for a while. It's now out of stock and for sale on Discogs at 100€! Good job Skalap...
You think thats annoying, imagine buying it through Bandcamp, heading over to 'cogs and seeing the outrageous price but being thankful that yours is on route.

I waited. And Waited. And Waited. Eventually emailed Jazz Re:freshed and it turns out it was a glitch on their bandcamp and was actually fully OOS. They refunded but Im still left with the digital files, as much as I like listening to it im still annoyed about that missing record!

Personally think Jazz Re:freshed isn't afraid of reissuing. Perhaps we will get a repress soon then.

Personally think Jazz Re:freshed isn't afraid of reissuing. Perhaps we will get a repress soon then.
I went to the launch gig for SEED Ensemble's 'Driftglass' and Adam Moses (founder of Jazz Re:Freshed) gave a speech at the beginning and the end. It was so refreshing (lol) hearing him speak about how far each band member has come since the early days, and that he couldn't quite believe how many people were turning up to events ect. He's clearly in it for the music and helping the artists on his label progress, so I agree with you, they would almost certainly repress if they thought enough people wanted to listen to the music.

I went to the launch gig for SEED Ensemble's 'Driftglass' and Adam Moses (founder of Jazz Re:Freshed) gave a speech at the beginning and the end. It was so refreshing (lol) hearing him speak about how far each band member has come since the early days, and that he couldn't quite believe how many people were turning up to events ect. He's clearly in it for the music and helping the artists on his label progress, so I agree with you, they would almost certainly repress if they thought enough people wanted to listen to the music.

Thats great. I always give them a pass because they seem like a small label and I like to support them, but damn do they need to find a better pressing plant. All their releases always sound better on digital for me.

Back